3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

Hi Andrew and 3DCoat Team!

I've tried many times to download latest 4.8.06 (for Windows) but the download process is extremely slow and after a while it stops.

I never had this problem before, and I have checked my internet connection and all works fine.

Could you please check if there's a problem with this download ?

Thanks and have a nice day.

Marco (mkdm)

Hi guys, running 4.8.06, win 10. 

cannot exporting any kind of model layer to meshes panel, doesn't work with voxels (even low res) or in surface mode either. No cue is given when you try to activate the command from File > Export > Save to Mesh Panel - it just does nothing at all. Anyone else finding this? 

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Jamie Norton said:

Hi guys, running 4.8.06, win 10. 

cannot exporting any kind of model layer to meshes panel, doesn't work with voxels (even low res) or in surface mode either. No cue is given when you try to activate the command from File > Export > Save to Mesh Panel - it just does nothing at all. Anyone else finding this? 

Sounds like 4.8.06  is a bust. Probably best to roll back to .5 if you still have it.

I usually keep the last beta 2 versions just in-case for scenarios like .6 is having.

• Reputable Contributor

Calculating Occlusion and Curvature maps are fixed as well... Thanks. :D

Yes, to everyone keep a 3DC version that is the most stable for you and your workflow. Any beta can break things that use to work. The nature of Betas. 

You can run your most stable version and the newest beta.  By default a newer beta will install in a different folder. Like another user said, I also keep about 3 versions of 3DC. 

• Advanced Member

I've been using 3DC for over 8 years, but never did any texturing with it. 
I'm just starting to learn this part - so my apologies if I'm doin' something wrong. 
Does seems like these are just a couple of bugs.

--------------------------------------

In Retopo Room:

Shift-A with an object selected does not zoom to the bounding box of the object.  Instead it centers around global origin.

NOTE: I am retopologizing and laying out UVs on an imported OBJ.  There are no voxels or any objects in the sculpt room.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

In UV Room:

If I undock the UV Preview Panel then I can no-longer use the gizmo to move the islands or uv's around.

3D Coat :Version 4.8.05 GL (also checked on DX version)

Edited by cakeller

• Reputable Contributor

@Cakeller

Undocking the UV panel in the UV room and moving uv-islands works on my end in beta version 4.8.07. 

This could be related to some of the problems that were in beta 4.8.05 where you could not move points in the lathe tool panel either. I would test beta 4.8.07.

Shift -A according to the tool tip centers the model in the center of the viewport and scales to fit. I do not think it matters what camera rotation is used under the Camera menu. 

dialog box.jpg

Edited by digman
Corrections

On 12/6/2017 at 1:16 AM, mkdm said:

Hi Andrew and 3DCoat Team!

I've tried many times to download latest 4.8.06 (for Windows) but the download process is extremely slow and after a while it stops.

I never had this problem before, and I have checked my internet connection and all works fine.

Could you please check if there's a problem with this download ?

Thanks and have a nice day.

Marco (mkdm)

Try using the Google Drive Mirror link in the original post. It should be much better. I download the file once Andrew or Sergyi upload and place it straight on to Google Drive for everyone else (I download it slow too, but then no one else has to). =)

• Advanced Member
On 12/7/2017 at 10:59 AM, digman said:

@Cakeller

Undocking the UV panel in the UV room and moving uv-islands works on my end in beta version 4.8.07. 

This could be related to some of the problems that were in beta 4.8.05 where you could not move points in the lathe tool panel either. I would test beta 4.8.07.

Shift -A according to the tool tip centers the model in the center of the viewport and scales to fit. I do not think it matters what camera rotation is used under the Camera menu. 

dialog box.jpg

Thanks I'll try the 4.8.07

as for the framing problem.  The behavior in voxel room is correct.  However on my imported OBJ file that I am not voxelizing, only using to lay out UVs, Shift+A centers on the origin.  I will see if this persists in 4.8.07.

EDIT: 

Tested 4.8.07, and you're right now the UV islands can be moved! yay - at least there's that one.

However, I tested the Shift+A in 4.8.07, and same results as before. 

The Shift+A does work on sculpt objects, however, it does not work on retopo only objects.
 if there is only a retopo object but no sculpt object, then Shift+A centers to the origin. 

You can test this by:

1) create a simple object in sculpt room.  
2) move it away from the origin (or don't, as long as it is not at the origin in the end)  
3) Autotopo the sculpt.  
4) Delete the sculpt object
5) Switch to the Retop Room, click "Select" tool, then select anything - a face, an edge, a vertext, the whole shell.
6) Press Shift+A and the result is that 3D Coat zooms to the origin, not to the bounding box of the selection.

Again - this does not happen if you have a sculpt object, it is only when you are trying to zoom to the extents of a retopo only object.

Edited by cakeller
Tested in 4.8.07

• Contributor

In 4.8.05 and up when i create a bit more advance materials (with 4 + layers) save is not working (material panel save or save as) , i must first collapse the layers and then it saves ok .

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Advanced Member

Sorry for the repeated post here, but I wanted to separate the still existing problem from the one that was fixed.

Using Shift+A to zoom to the bounds of the selected object, does not appear to work on retopo objects, only on sculpt objects.
If there is only a retopo object but no sculpt object, then Shift+A centers to the origin instead of the center of, or bounds of the selected retopo object.

You can test this by:

1) create a simple object in sculpt room.  
2) move it away from the origin (or don't, as long as it is not at the origin in the end)  
3) Autotopo the sculpt.  
4) Delete the sculpt object
5) Switch to the Retop Room, click "Select" tool, then select anything - a face, an edge, a vertext, the whole shell.
6) Press Shift+A and the result is that 3D Coat zooms to the origin, not to the bounding box of the selection.

Again - this does not happen if you have a sculpt object, it is only when you are trying to zoom to the extents of a retopo only object.

Is this intended behavior?  Am I missing something?  The UV Layout tools are pretty outstanding in 3D Coat, and I want to be able to use them fro doing UV layout on outside models.

- Smart Materials depth scaling is now independent on ortho/perspective/viewport and on viewport size / FOW.

- fixed problem of grayed out export (sometimes, rarely)

- fixed problem of moving UV islands

- possibility to record strokes as curves (enable NewCurves in settings), set RecordStrokes in Curves menu, look CurvesTree

• Like 5

• Reputable Contributor

The below is for the future if time allows in the development cycle.

In MudBox there is a feature to validate a mesh before running the autopo routine it has. It tells you the errors, and shows their location by red dots. You can not run the autopo routine till they are fixed.

The reason for the request is I have helped a number of users who were having autopo failures in 3DC. I would explain, that in most cases it is an error in the mesh that causes autopo to fail. 

I show them the fill voids, close invisible hulls options, run those two.

I have them decimate the model by 5% on exporting, the reordering of the structure seems to remove some errors as well.

Then have them install MeshMixer and have it find the remaining errors repairing the file. Sometimes you have to run a model through Mesh Mixer twice to find all the errors. 

Once done, re-import the model back to 3DC and now Autopo runs correctly and produces a acceptable mesh.

I just helped someone today, who once did the above was able to get a very good retopo mesh. He had been failing at it all day.

Mudbox does not repair errors in files for you and I do not expect 3DC to do either though we do have a few features that are there. Surface mode repair features, at this time though still tend to crash 3DC at times and I very seldom use them. I am not asking for the blocking of the user to run the auto routine as Mudbox does but a Warning for him so he does not spend needless time on running autopo with errors in his mesh.

If possible could you code in a validation routine when time allows to warn the user that his model will fail, crash 3DC, take a long time or give a poor retopo mesh because of errors in his mesh.

Thanks for your consideration.

Oh, Thanks too for the new beta to try out...

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• Reputable Contributor
8 hours ago, Kargall said:

Hello friends

The "Pose" tool still has a problem, unfortunately.:( .

:)

Yes, I can confirm this bug. Has not happened in while but at one time it seem related to undo and not just undoing the pose but just undo. Something in the undo buffer might be getting corrupted.  This is only a guess though. 

Beta version 4.8.08 currently in use by me.

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Hi!

14 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Hi

Do you have Ignore Back Faces switched off ?

Ignore Back Faces.jpg

No! it does not change anything

7 hours ago, digman said:

Yes, I can confirm this bug. Has not happened in while but at one time it seem related to undo and not just undoing the pose but just undo. Something in the undo buffer might be getting corrupted.  This is only a guess though. 

Beta version 4.8.08 currently in use by me.

No it does not work in another condition.

For ex:  Geométry/ symm-copy + Pose tool = Bug :wacko:

As I indicated on December 6, this problem is recurrent :

Since the versions 48.04, 48.05, 48.06, the pose tool is totally buggy, that I get nothing out of it .

Good evening

:)

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, stusutcliffe said:

Ive not seen this for a while on mine, but when it did occur, it always happened when the model was intersecting ground zero co ordinates. Sometimes I could move the model up above zero re save, and it recovered, but it was a bit hit and miss.

Ah, thanks for the reminder. 

I reproduced the bug.

Use the default sphere.

Use transform tool to "0" out all transformations, centering the model in 3D space.

Use the pose tool  to select an area on the positive Y axis. 

Transformed the section using the pose tool and there is the bug.

bug.JPG