3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Ok. I see what you are saying. Magic wand always seemed to work fairly well when I used, it, but I guess I could see the benefit in what you are asking for. With the Magic wand, I was thinking w/ Color Tolerance unchecked, it would only pick the exact color value selected, rather than all pixels. At any rate, it still needs a checkbox for "Contiguous"...which is something I asked Andrew about, before. I think that is similar to what you are asking. With it unchecked, it would select that color across the whole layer. It would also need an option to select color across all layers.

After further thought and testing, I don't think we can just tell 3D Coat "pick and freeze" this color without having to use Color Tolerance in most cases. Why? Because when you paint different colors on the same layer, it gets blended with all other pixels around it, along the boundary of a stroke. Falloff, Opacity, Brush Alphas, and  Border Width, all have a part in determining how much blending of pixels there are. So, there will usually be some bleeding of that color left, even at a CT of 32.

Where I think your request would be most helpful is if you are trying to select it across different layers, objects and UV maps.

Thanks for looking at it AbnRanger.  Main purpose here is really for large open areas of the same color to speed up the process of selecting which freezing is generally used for in a lot of cases.

In a sense the pixels gets blended, but not really at the one pixel level, just different slight variations of color per pixel are use to give the appearance of blending. Texture linear filtering hides the pixels by blurring but I imagine the tool uses the true pixels. The boundary start, there the blend of colors would gradually move away from the original color. Great use of tolerance setting here, though somewhat hard to control precisely. The 3DC magic wand tool can do this now.

I would like something more or less like Photoshop"s color range with point sample (one pixel) with a fuzziness slider (tolerance). Result shown in picture, all the areas are selected and if in 3DC would be frozen.

Since 3DC is some ways based on Photoshop principles, having a feature like color range point sample would be great. If the magic wand tool can be upgraded do this by doing it all over the image like Photoshop then that is all that is needed.  Imagine tons of colors designs with black used in open areas by intent so they can be manipulated, black not being in any other part of the design. a click fest to select those areas is an understatement at the current method of the wand tool.

Side Note: Black is used here for reference, any plain color not used elsewhere and not used as part of a blending elsewhere would work too.

Picture not shown for designed or quality but to demo the point made above.

Point.png

Edited by digman

Hi everyone. I don't know if this is a bug or not, but if I am using the "Cut Off" Tool in Voxel Mode with the Lasso tool . Should it not have the option of " Steady Stroke " As well?

I tried it on the latest release and it seems to be missing. Thanks in advance! Hope this can be fixed soon

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Speike-Styles said:

Hi everyone. I don't know if this is a bug or not, but if I am using the "Cut Off" Tool in Voxel Mode with the Lasso tool . Should it not have the option of " Steady Stroke " As well?

I tried it on the latest release and it seems to be missing. Thanks in advance! Hope this can be fixed soon

Steady Stroke is for interpolating brush position along a surface, and thus it is different than use a selection marquee.

I do understand, but the code should be about the same for the lasso tool. " Steady Stroke  OR Lazy Mouse" Should be everywhere. Why on earth should it be ignored or treated with lower Value then the all the other tools.

The lasso tool in Cut off mode is not there because voxels are being removed, but the Dev did add it to Vox Hide? strange what a pity, that this function doesn't work there either. It would be a wise move to add it.

The Cut Off tool is like the best thing about 3dC, Just the jittery part is real bad. So something like Zbrush " Lazy Mouse " = Steady Stroke should be here too.

2 hours ago, Speike-Styles said:

I do understand, but the code should be about the same for the lasso tool. " Steady Stroke  OR Lazy Mouse" Should be everywhere. Why on earth should it be ignored or treated with lower Value then the all the other tools.

The lasso tool in Cut off mode is not there because voxels are being removed, but the Dev did add it to Vox Hide? strange what a pity, that this function doesn't work there either. It would be a wise move to add it.

The Cut Off tool is like the best thing about 3dC, Just the jittery part is real bad. So something like Zbrush " Lazy Mouse " = Steady Stroke should be here too.

Hello! Ok, we'll add this parameter.

• Reputable Contributor

Hello there, It has been happening a few times now that after saving I lose all my voxels in the sculpt room.
I am not sure yet what triggers it.

I think every time it is long after having gone through all the steps of retopology and baking, and well into painting the lowpoly. At one point all the voxel layers in the sculpt room just become empty, only the layers that happened to be in surface mode remain.

Sadly I only notice the next day when I try to load the file, and all the autosaves are the same by that time.

Does anyone know something about this ? Thanks.

• Reputable Contributor
3 minutes ago, lesaint said:

Hello there, It has been happening a few times now that after saving I lose all my voxels in the sculpt room.
I am not sure yet what triggers it.

I think every time it is long after having gone through all the steps of retopology and baking, and well into painting the lowpoly. At one point all the voxel layers in the sculpt room just become empty, only the layers that happened to be in surface mode remain.

Sadly I only notice the next day when I try to load the file, and all the autosaves are the same by that time.

Does anyone know something about this ? Thanks.

No, but that is something Andrew would have to take a look at. You can upload your work file to the 3D Coat server from the HELP menu (send file to support) and then send him an email (support@3dcoat.com), letting him know what's happening (maybe how to reproduce it, if you can) and that you uploaded the file in question.

While you wait for him to respond, test some sample objects from the splash screen and see if it happens with them, too. If not, then you know that file was somehow partially corrupted.

• Reputable Contributor

Bake Scanned Settings Brush.

It appears that the bake scan brush effects retopo group layers that are hidden.  The separate retopo meshes are very close to each other but in different Retopo object Layers. I also hide all  the sculpt room layers except the one that is associated with the retopo object layer.

You hide one retopo object layer to worked on the other for a better scan projection cage by using the brush. Then switch to work on the other retopo object layer mesh, hiding the retopo object layer that you just worked on.

Now when you check the scan settings the work you did on the last retopo object layer also has effected and changed the retopo object layer that was hidden. This ruins your work you just fixed for a better projection cage. 

If possible make hidden retopo objects layers not to be effected by the brush at all. Some kind of auto-lock. You should be able to work on retopo objects layers separately using the brush not effecting the hidden retopo object layers.

This problem if not noticed by a user creates normal map artifacts... 

Edited by digman

• Contributor

I had a struggle with those tools (Bake scan) where it would work at one point and then not at another location. Thin objects (dragonfly wings) are a very difficult subject for retopo (with Ignore Back faces on). I had to go into and out of 'Snap to....'. All's well that ends well.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Tony Nemo said:

I had a struggle with those tools (Bake scan) where it would work at one point and then not at another location. Thin objects (dragonfly wings) are a very difficult subject for retopo (with Ignore Back faces on). I had to go into and out of 'Snap to....'. All's well that ends well.

I generally find the scan settings brush effective except the problem I described in my before mention post.

Concerning retopoing thin meshes which part of your post appears to be talking about, I generally have auto-snap off and also use the relax brush or use the move tool---move the vertices. 

The scan settings brush ignores auto-snap. You could not adjust the projection cage if it was on.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

A 3DC user noticed the difference between using the rectangle lasso and the vertex lasso on the quality of cuts in surface mode. This is more noticeable on lower polygon objects. 

220,000 surface mode polygon cube in ortho view for the cuts.

Border width is set to "0" in the e-panel for both tools. Setting higher than zero in the e-panel even makes the cuts worse for the vertex lasso.

On the left in the picture is using the rectangle lasso. Creates a nice clean cut.

On the right side of the picture is the vertex lasso cut. It is not clean. I held  down the shift key to get a straight cut but still the edge is not remeshed as clean as the rectangle lasso. 

If the remeshing can be improved to get clean cuts with the vertex lasso, it will help a lot on hard surface modelling using less polygons in surface mode. 

Side Note:  In Voxel mode the vertex lasso creates clean cuts. Of course you need enough voxel resolution for sharp cuts.

different.PNG

use.png

Edited by digman
More information

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

Yes, there is such a problem. I do not promise that quickly, but we will solve it.

You also cannot assign a hotkey to the Surface Pinch brush (the small group of SURFACE TOOLS at the bottom of the Tool Panel), when in Voxel Mode. Whatever you assign to it, will automatically invoke the VOXEL Pinch brush. That really needs to get fixed.

Another small thing is, the SURFACE TOOLS section in Voxel Mode, really, really, really, REALLY needs to be placed right beneath the Voxel Brushes....not all the way at the bottom of the Tool Panel, where the new user would not notice. The Surface tools really help make sculpting in Voxel mode, much more viable and useful. Please move the section where it makes the most sense....below the Voxel brushes.

Also, test the SKETCH Tool in Orthographic view. Switch views and notice how 3D Coat throws the object/planes completely out of the viewport. This is totally unacceptable. I cannot even record a video regarding this tool because of this problem. When you click the ALL icon (SHIFT + A...Zoom extents), nothing happens, because 3D Coat doesn't treat preview objects like regular objects and thus doesn't know what to center on. PLEASE, PLEASE fix this.

• Reputable Contributor
11 hours ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

Yes, there is such a problem. I do not promise that quickly, but we will solve it.

Thanks for the confirmation of the problem. 

I agree with Abnranger, The surface tools that are in Voxel mode are very effective. I use them all the time and have setup presets for them. Of course you have to press enter to convert them to voxels but that is a lot faster than swtiching back and forth between full Voxel mode and Surface Mode. 

A message can pop up the first time you use these brushes like it does now but also tell the new users that pressing the enter key will convert them to voxels if they decide to use them. Of course I will always make a plug for improvement of the voxel brushes themselves

My workflow to help you understand my agreement with AbnRanger.

I Use voxel brushes and the available surface mode brushes up to medium detail and then switch to surface mode. 

I confirm the Sketch Tool problem that AbnRanger discussed.

The above as always based upon the development schedule of the 3DC team.

Edited by digman

- VoxTree multiselection support. Still needs some testing if it works correctly for all mode. Please report where you see it fails. There are too much applications of multiselect, so something may be missed. Both VoxTre and Curves tree support CTRL, SHIFT, CTRL+SHIFT multiselection similar to explorer.

- New Curves are in good beta state. Enable it in Edit->Preferences->ShowNewCurves. Pay attention to RMB menu over curves.

- Calculator in each input field. You may enter expressions instead of nubber anywhere, where you need numerical input. For example, enter 1+2 or sin(1.5) or any arithmetic operation incliding trygonometry.

- Highlighting for selected objects. When you select object it flashes shortly a little to locate it easily.

- By default Auto Pick enabled, more easy switching between objects.

- Faster Bas-relief & undercuts.

- "Paste merged" in "Rect/Transform" tool enabled. Seems it works correctly in PPP.

- Fixed mesh exposion during baking with mesh extrusion

- a lot of small corrections in primitives

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for the update. 

Extrude brush is working now too.

The flashing when you pick an object has a strobe light like effect to the eyes, very uncomfortable. If you jump between objects quickly the effect is worse. Auto pick by default makes that even worse still.

The flashing also produces a brief almost transparent square around the cursor.

Please give us the ability to turn off highlighting of objects.  I really can not use the current 3DC beta with this flashing effect as some people are adversely effected by strobe light effects. 

I prefer generally not to have objects highlighted when sculpting. I find any highlighting to be somewhat distracting. Now other artist might like highlighting and I can see the need of it at times. We just need the ability to turn it off.

Edit: I had a UTS moment with auto-pick being on by default of course you can turn it off...

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor
40 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Highlight is easy to turn off - Geometry->Highlight->....

Also there are settings. You may customize it and turn off flashing.

Andrew, AIRBRUSH in Voxel mode does not seem to work as mentioned in the Tooltip. Even with STROKE EXPANSION unchecked in the Geometry menu, it will not expand unless you move your cursor. It also will not continue to build. It stops at a given point, until you make another stroke. 

• Reputable Contributor

...2D Paint Brush is weird. Even if you are orthographic view, it draws out in space at various points, when you make additional strokes. The Viewport Camera in Orthographic view never stays centered on the object in the scene, when you change views, when using tools like the SKETCH tool. It throws the tool gizmo out of the viewport and clicking the ALL (SHIFT +A) icon in the navigation bar, will not correct it. Try it. Sketch tool is unusable because of this.

If I am sculpting the head of a character and switch to a side view for example, same thing happens. This is a big problem. Anybody else noticing this and would like it fixed, please say something. I've reported this multiple times, to no avail. Maybe it needs more support from other users to get fixed.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Highlight is easy to turn off - Geometry->Highlight->....

Also there are settings. You may customize it and turn off flashing.

Well, shame on me... Should have checked first... Thanks for the quick answer...

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

When it happens(the head bust) what is the position reading when you actived the transform tool .    Iam using a older build 4.7.07 it is at    0.00    73.84    -10.62   in front view 2 .    just me wondering where its at the origin /pivot point is set at. 

13 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

This is the viewport issue I mentioned. If it bothers anyone, can I get an "Amen?" :D

Any rotations, including looking from some side are performed around current pivot. I can't rotate just somewhere in space. After each Fron, Left ... command pivot will appear at the center.

So, control pivot (use F for example) and you will control rotations.

• Contributor
13 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

This is the viewport issue I mentioned. If it bothers anyone, can I get an "Amen?" :D

Hit F to get a pivot and it wont disappearagain Don

Send from mobile Cosmote 4G 

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Any rotations, including looking from some side are performed around current pivot. I can't rotate just somewhere in space. After each Fron, Left ... command pivot will appear at the center.

So, control pivot (use F for example) and you will control rotations.

Ok. Setting the Camera rotation around BOUNDING BOX seemed to be the best solution. However, THIS NEEDS TO BE THE DEFAULT when switching camera views. Navigating/orbiting about a model, using current pick point is the best method to use in most cases, when sculpting. This means, to simply switch views, now the user has to manually switch to WORLD CENTER or BOUNDING BOX and when they are ready to sculpt or paint, they have to switch back to around Current Pick Point. This can also frustrate users who don't know about these settings and why you have to change them, manually. The Orbiting center and the center needed when switching views are entirely separate things, and should have separate options.

Could we please have CAMERA VIEW OPTIONS and VIEWPORT NAVIGATION OPTIONS listed in their own sections (in the Camera List Menu)? For CAMERA VIEW OPTIONS, there needs to be another option for BOUNDING BOX-ALL OBJECTS. That way, when working on the multi-object models or scenes, switching views will center and fit the entire model or group, like the Mannequin, character with many secondary objects like clothes, hats, belts, bracelets, shoes, etc. or a vehicle/spaceship, for example.

Thanks.

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, Michaelgdrs said:

Hit F to get a pivot and it wont disappearagain Don

Send from mobile Cosmote 4G 

Thanks. I never realized that VIEWS were bound to the users preferred NAVIGATIONAL center...which doesn't make sense to me. It should be entirely separate. Navigation and switching camera views are two different functions and should be treated as such. Where I want the pivot point to be when rotating around the model while I am sculpting, painting or building a retopo mesh has no bearing on how I want an object or group of objects to be centered and fit when switching to a specific view.

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor
27 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

Thanks. I never realized that VIEWS were bound to the users preferred NAVIGATIONAL center...which doesn't make sense to me. It should be entirely separate. Navigation and switching camera views are two different functions and should be treated as such. Where I want the pivot point to be when rotating around the model while I am sculpting, painting or building a retopo mesh has no bearing on how I want an object or group of objects to be centered and fit when switching to a specific view.

I agree...+1