3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

• Reputable Contributor

New Curves Beta. Version 4.8.11

The e-panel Save Shape and Load Shape are missing when using the New Curves beta. Shown in the picture. This happens on any brush and not just when you are using the new beta curves tools.

Go to preferences, deselect " New Beta Curves" and  the save and load shape reappear in the e-panel.

Is it possible to have the curves panel as a floating panel / docking panel. It's a long way up to the upper left hand corner of the UI to change a curve tool. Yes you can make hotkeys, some of us do not use hotkeys as much as others do.

I would like the ability to save "show radius" as that is very useful when drawing out curves.  It is automatically deselected each time. You can not turn them on till the curve is completed or at least from my  testing so far. If there is a way, I am all ears.

Once you do show the radius and draw out more curve control points, the brush radius ring is not updated in real time as you increase or decrease the brush size so you are guessing at the size change of your radius. You can not be accurate this way in drawing out a curve.

EDIT: Now the radius yellow cursor is showing up when increasing or decreasing the radius size of the brush.  Possbile bug then when it does not show... I did close and reopen 3DC, then the brush radius starting working.

e-panel.png

Edited by digman
added info.

Curve > Attach tube or models array > Put Fixed amount of objects

Add switch on/off option to preserve original scale.

Currently when you Put Fixed amount of objects = on, the model is scaled to fit the curve.

Put Fixed amount of objects.jpg

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, digman said:

I would like the ability to save "show radius" as that is very useful when drawing out curves.  It is automatically deselected each time. You can not turn them on till the curve is completed or at least from my  testing so far. If there is a way, I am all ears.

Just so there is no confusion, even though now I can change the brush radius in real time. I still need the ability to save "Show Radius" saved in the tools panel so when I start a curve / spline the radius shows right away.

• Reputable Contributor

Beta version: 4.8.11

EDIt: add this information to make clearer my post: The below concerns when you use the Regular transform tool to translate along one axis.

It appears that to Global or Uniform Space no longer fixes the Non-Uniform error.

The object is just stretched along one axis... Create an object, transform along one axis to get the Non-Uniform error. Run either To Global or Uniform space and  you will see the result with the error remaining.

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor
11 minutes ago, digman said:

Beta version: 4.8.11

It appears that to Global or Uniform Space no longer fixes the Non-Uniform error.

The object is just stretched along one axis... Create an object, transform along one axis to get the Non-Uniform error. Run either To Global or Uniform space and  you will see the result with the error remaining.

This scared me very much, so I checked right away...

I can confirm. Not only does it not work, but it distorts the object. 

Luckily this behaviour seems to be limited to the specific transform tool : Do the same thing with the pose tool and to Global or to Uniform space still work fine.

• Reputable Contributor
4 minutes ago, lesaint said:

Luckily this behaviour seems to be limited to the specific transform tool : Do the same thing with the pose tool and to Global or to Uniform space still work fine.

Pose tool never creates Non-Uniform voxels, that is I have never seen it happen in all the times I used it.

Yes, I metioned the stretching of the object too.

These are betas and things can break, I am sure something like this bug will be fixed in a updated new beta.

• Reputable Contributor
7 minutes ago, lesaint said:

Then, here is your workaround : Select Pose tool, then in tool options click on the drop menu and choose "select object".

You get the same tool as transform, and it works. Cheers.

Thanks, but do not need a workaround. I can use the pose tool as normal. The regular transform tool which I should have mentioned in my first post is the only one that causes the non-uniform error.  I will update my first post. Again thanks, always helpful when users help each other.. :)

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Sorry for bitching about this, I really love 3d-Coat, I do, I use it all day and all night as much as I can. I spend as little time as possible in other software to do things that 3dc doesn't.You get used to everything... There are some annoying things that don't bother me too much anymore after two years. One of them is the "paint object" window that doesn't remain docked each time you start up.
Then there is the Grow tool which sometimes forgets which brush it has been assigned.
"Type of surface" setting common to all "on plane" tools, so when you change for one it changes for the others.
Dae export not reliable, 
Blender cycles assigning only some textures and not others
...To name the most bothersome for me.

I can live with bugs like when the airbrush tools stopped working for a while, or the extrude tool that was quickly fixed.

Now this.... Autopick by default on startup ? Really ? This could just be too much, I think I will go back to the previous version.

• Reputable Contributor

I also would like Auto-pick to be user controlled. I know this could help new users when they need to sculpt across a few sculpt layers. It might take them awhile to see where to turn auto-pick on.

We just need the option to turn it off on startup in the preferences panel. It could be located under "Brushing"

We have the ability to turn off  " Enable VoxTree Properties by RMB in the preferences panel.   If possible add  a option  to turn off for the auto-pick under "Brushing" but allow manual turning on of course in the normal fashion in the sculpt room.

Thank you for your consideration.

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

On 3/3/2018 at 3:45 PM, lesaint said:

Confirmed here as well.

• Contributor
On 3/1/2018 at 7:24 AM, Andrew Shpagin said:

- VoxTree multiselection support. Still needs some testing if it works correctly for all mode. Please report where you see it fails. There are too much applications of multiselect, so something may be missed. Both VoxTre and Curves tree support CTRL, SHIFT, CTRL+SHIFT multiselection similar to explorer.

Good show! :)

The following voxel commands do not work with multiselected objects: Res+, Smooth All.

Sculpting on multiple objects works, but when the stroke leaves object A and picks up object B, this is treated as a separate Undo step. So as a result there are three undo steps at minimum: stroke on object A, pick up object B, stroke on object B, even though the stroke is continuous.

Some other actions that would benefit from multi-selection, but don't work with it yet:

• convert selected objects to surface/voxels,
  • toggle proxy mode,
  • boolean operators,
  • merging without booleans,
  • flip X/Y/Z.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Daniel changed the title to 3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread
  • Reputable Contributor

//edit: bug solved

-------------------------------------------------------

Smart Material not respecting Transparency of png files. I did not test any others.

Below is what I posted as my test in this thread.

It is  a possible bug... I would send an e-mail to support directing them to this thread and the urgent need because of your production workflow for them to look at it.

I downloaded your smart materials. Recreated your steps and got the same results as you described.

Did other test to show the problem.

I created a png file with some color and the rest is transparent.  I then created a smart material using that png file. You can see in the picture that the larger smart material thumbnail view has transparency showing.

I filled the sphere with the smart material. It appears to respect the transparency but if you freeze painted pixels, the entire model is frozen.  Somehow 3DC is seeing a color in what is supposed to be transparent. The background color you spoke of is possible being the fill color but it is hidden from the user in 3DC.

If you try to freeze transparent pixels nothing is frozen.  Now if you take the eraser tool and erase where areas have no color, choose freeze transparent pixels, then that areas will be frozen. This is shown in the second picture.

Stencils are respecting transparency, I tested just to be sure.

Pictures shows the results of my test. The larger white areas are just glare.

bug_possible.PNG

transer.PNG

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, lesaint said:

Concerning alphas and PNG. I have never been able to export a PNG with an alpha from 3d-Coat with any version. I always use TGA for that. I never thought to ask, is it a problem on my side ?

This really concerns just when using a Smart Material and the live link (OLE) to Photoshop. I created the png with transparency. In 3DC viewport, it appears that no color is added to the areas that have no color information, respecting the transparency. If you invoke Photoshop, that area is really filled with the color you have chosen in your Palette. No color should be applied at all. I think this is a bug. This is the reason why when selecting Freeze painted pixels in 3DC that the entire sphere is frozen. See the picture. What it looks like in 3DC and what you see in Photoshop. Regular painting not using a smart material works correctly between Photoshop and 3DC.

Png stencils that have transparent areas work correctly between Photoshop and 3DC.

bug_01.PNG

Edited by digman
correction

• Advanced Member

I've been dealing with a weird bug for the past several versions....  when i load a scene with multiple layers the 'h' key does not work - it won't select any geo when hovering over it.  If I close the scene, and load the default mannequin, the 'h' key works again and I can select parts of the mannequin.  Then I load my original scene again and the 'h' key is back to normal.  This isn't a critical bug, but it's annoying to have to do it every time I start 3d coat.  I searched the forums and could not find any mention of this.  Currently using .10, but I found it still happened with .12. 

- Correct PSD export, correct dropping to PS with smart materials with masks. But still have problems with attached materials. Export is OK, getting back is sometimes problematic.

- Backface culling in retopo works correctly

- If 3D-Coat unable to start, it tries to diagnose and troubleshoot the problem.

- Prevenfing pivot to appear far from scene boundbox.

- To Global / To Uniform space works correctly with multiselection.

- Save VoxTree elements as 3B file works correctly with multiselection. And many other corrected to be compatimle with multiselection.

- Smart transtion between perspective and orthographic mode that keeps scale of scene near the pivot point.

- Correct pivot point management. Avoiding situation when it is randomly set somewhere outside the real scene. Left/Fromt/... views corrected to avoid - situations when you see nothing in scene after switching.

- Primitives in primitives history correct boolean operation type update.

- Curves modifiers got button "Attach to selected curves".

- Tablet pen pressure should be float to support more pressure levels

- Fixed undercuts (was destroyed)

- Fixed symmetry painting bug (with unsymmetrical alphas).

- Painting with facture works after resampling

- Fixed problem of too bright border when you select VoxTree item in incremental rendering mode

- Constant growing in voxel "Airbrush" tool as written in description.

- Highlight tweaked to be less aggressive

• Like 5

• Reputable Contributor
40 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

- Correct PSD export, correct dropping to PS with smart materials with masks. But still have problems with attached materials. Export is OK, getting back is sometimes problematic.

- Backface culling in retopo works correctly

- If 3D-Coat unable to start, it tries to diagnose and troubleshoot the problem.

- Prevenfing pivot to appear far from scene boundbox.

- To Global / To Uniform space works correctly with multiselection.

- Save VoxTree elements as 3B file works correctly with multiselection. And many other corrected to be compatimle with multiselection.

- Smart transtion between perspective and orthographic mode that keeps scale of scene near the pivot point.

- Correct pivot point management. Avoiding situation when it is randomly set somewhere outside the real scene. Left/Fromt/... views corrected to avoid - situations when you see nothing in scene after switching.

- Primitives in primitives history correct boolean operation type update.

- Curves modifiers got button "Attach to selected curves".

- Tablet pen pressure should be float to support more pressure levels

- Fixed undercuts (was destroyed)

- Fixed symmetry painting bug (with unsymmetrical alphas).

- Painting with facture works after resampling

- Fixed problem of too bright border when you select VoxTree item in incremental rendering mode

- Constant growing in voxel "Airbrush" tool as written in description.

- Highlight tweaked to be less aggressive

Thanks for the corrections, Andrew. Will test.

• Reputable Contributor

Can somebody else test 4.8.13 and see if they get proper Camera Snapping....or ANY Camera Snapping, for that matter. I hadn't noticed the CAMERA SNAPPING menu in the Camera List Menu. So, I decided to try and test to see how they work. They don't work. At all. Even when switching to ZB-Like navigation option....NO SHIFT key snapping. None.

• Reputable Contributor

Beta Version 4.8.13

Thanks for the Photoshop live link (OLE) fix with using smart materials with transparent areas. There is still one problem left.

1. Apply a smart material with transparent areas, like in my post.

2. Freeze painted pixels. The entire model is still frozen.

3. Freeze transparent pixels. Nothing is frozen.

4. Ctrl-D to make sure nothing is frozen.

5. Invoke Photoshop. Paint a small area and save in Photoshop.

6 Return to 3DC. Now freeze painted pixels and freeze transparent pixels both work correctly.

7. Somehow 3DC is still not seeing the transparent areas in a smart material till you invoke Photoshop---do some work--Return to 3DC, then it works correctly.

8. I need 3DC to recognized the transparent pixels or painted pixels of a smart material for mask selection without invoking Photoshop. Some workflows do not require the use of Photoshop and internally 3DC should recognize a smart material that has transparent pixels and painted pixels.

9. I included the very simple 3DC smart material for testing.

Trans.3dcpack

Edited by digman
More information

7 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

What prompt it shows?

No prompt, just unresponsive, instant crash. I think it might be Nvidia's new drivers. They released a hotfix on March 5th. I downloaded it and it seems to be stable. However I just got a crash with a prompt using the fill tool. Pointers: 511787. I'll submit bug report.

Edited by DaveMW

• 2 weeks later...