3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

I''ve found multiselection to be useful, but is there an easy way to deselect objects? The only way I can find to do this is to click on a hidden object in the vox tree. Is there another way? Also, I have looked around to see if there is some way to indicate, in the work-area, which objects are selected. I apologize if I'm asking something that can easily be looked up!

- Instant meshes integration. Press RMB over object, AUTOPO->..... It supports symmetry. Don't expect too much. It is about robustness and stability, but not about too great quality.

- Autopo density problems fixed.

- New curves are in very good state. Still need a lot of development, but now it is closer to Corel in 3D. Still beta. (Edit->Prefs->ShowNewCurvs)

- Posibility of 16-bit export for displacement in export constructor.

- Metall support in picture transform tool. If gloss enabled, imported image will be with metallness. You may vary it with slider.

- FlipX, FlipY, FlipZ for Tweak room

- CTRL+UnifyUV to unify UV sets with same names.

-  Import multiple objects for PPP.

I want to mark this build as stable, so need your approvement.

• Like 5

Hey Guys!

Where can I get the beta? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but I just go into my hlp menu check for updates, and my version is up-to-date (4.8.10. ) I appreciate any help. Thanks.

• Reputable Contributor
8 minutes ago, bantu said:

Hey Guys!

Where can I get the beta? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but I just go into my hlp menu check for updates, and my version is up-to-date (4.8.10. ) I appreciate any help. Thanks.

It's the very first page of this thread. You can also find it easily from the main website > bottom of the page, click DOWNLOAD > then click LATEST BETA

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I still can't get Freeze/painting higher density areas to work. Any luck anyone ?

No other  problem detected so far, except when trying to launch 4.8.10 (the version I'm sticking to because of the autopick in subsequent versions), when I try to launch it, I get this : Capture.thumb.PNG.cb7f8f419ce95a6883b578f7bc64151b.PNG

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

- Instant meshes integration. Press RMB over object, AUTOPO->..... It supports symmetry. Don't expect too much. It is about robustness and stability, but not about too great quality.

- Autopo density problems fixed.

- New curves are in very good state. Still need a lot of development, but now it is closer to Corel in 3D. Still beta. (Edit->Prefs->ShowNewCurvs)

- Posibility of 16-bit export for displacement in export constructor.

- Metall support in picture transform tool. If gloss enabled, imported image will be with metallness. You may vary it with slider.

- CTRL+UnifyUV to unify UV sets with same names.

-  Import multiple objects for PPP.

I want to mark this build as stable, so need your approvement.

Instant Meshes sound great, but what was the purpose of adding another Auto-Retopo algorithm if it doesn't significantly improve the quality?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

It's the very first page of this thread. You can also find it easily from the main website > bottom of the page, click DOWNLOAD > then click LATEST BETA

Thank You, this wasn't obvious. Looking forward to giving it a thorough ride!

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Does Instant mesh support point clouds?

• Reputable Contributor

Instant Meshes... I will have to explore some more uses for this...

1. One use is for single image rendering and polygon count is not so much a issue. Instant meshes generally follows edge flow better without a lot of fuss more than autopo on hard edge models. Plus you can manually direct the flow in manual mode for IM.

Pictures are auto "instant meshes" baked to the paint room for normal map.

20,000 polygons but as stated used for single image rendering as part of a scene.

render.PNG

wire.PNG

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Great addition Andrew.  I will have to try it out.

I hope this means that quad based sculpting is on it's way.

We need 3 layer types in the sculpt room.  Voxel, Surfacemode, and Quadbased with subdivision levels.

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Will these flip options come to the paint room for Brush Options in the future? Currently there is only the random flip X and Random flip Y options. Would be nice to be able to flip a brush right away with a toggle option.

Edited by Mystical

• Reputable Contributor
6 hours ago, gbball said:

Great addition Andrew.  I will have to try it out.

I hope this means that quad based sculpting is on it's way.

We need 3 layer types in the sculpt room.  Voxel, Surfacemode, and Quadbased with subdivision levels.

How would Quad Based be an improvement? I personally don't think it will help. Everybody is all gaga over the addition of Dynamic Tessellation in ZB 2018, and in Mudbox, even though 3D Coat has had that for years. I don't see the benefit because it's so reliant on proper topology. What does subdivision levels give you that the current Proxy method doesn't? They are different techniques to address the same problem...stepping down to a lower poly version to make large scale changes.

I would just like to have a good implementation of Sculpt layers w/Masking capability. Been waiting forever for that. Speaking of waiting of waiting for Sculpt layers....How in the hell did an inferior Auto-Retopo option get ahead of Sculpt Layers in the Feature Request line? I've been testing it on several different meshes and it isn't anywhere near the quality 3D Coat's algorithm. I'm afraid to show it, now. I thought surely there would be some visible benefit, but I cannot find any.

Whoever asked for that.....

tumblr_ojv090fGqf1v1z098o1_400.gif

Sculpt Quads over Tris has benefits.

- The tris used in correct areas work well, but generate problems in curved surfaces.

- Tris can produce pronounced wrinkles as the mesh is deformed.

- Quads are better for beveling or hard crease borders.

- Tris generated bumpiness very hard to smooth because more edges can join a vertex.

- Tris subdivision are less predictable than quads -test it with a cube-.

tris.jpg

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

How would Quad Based be an improvement? I personally don't think it will help. Everybody is all gaga over the addition of Dynamic Tessellation in ZB 2018, and in Mudbox, even though 3D Coat has had that for years. I don't see the benefit because it's so reliant on proper topology. What does subdivision levels give you that the current Proxy method doesn't? They are different techniques to address the same problem...stepping down to a lower poly version to make large scale changes.

Quad based because with subdivision levels

1. ability to reuse productions assets (save time)
  2. You can increase and decrease resolution non-destructively as opposed to resampling
  3. it fits better into a pipeline
  4. better back and forth with retopo room
  5. I think it works in support of sculpt layers.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a subdivision workflow don't higher subdivision sculpt states work off stored displacement data?  And isn't image based sculpting the main component of sculpt layers?  I think you kill two birds with one stone here.

Last summer I had to make 5 characters for a short film and I sculpted the first character in 3D coat, then I carefully retopologized it, hoping to be able to reuse the retopo mesh for the other characters so that rigging would have an easier time transferring rig and weights from one character to another.  But the task became very cumbersome, very quickly.  I tried the tools in 3d coat, such as conform to retopo, but that only works with move, transform and pose - plus it's slow...having to show the sculpt with retopo data isn't performant.  Those tools alone aren't enough to recreate a new character.  How much easier it would have been if I could directly manipulate the mesh with the sculpt tools in 3D coat.  The job would have been a lot easier in zbrush, which I don't own.  I tried blender, but the sculpting tools and workflow are a bit limited.  So what I ended up doing was making all my sculpts in 3D Coat, then between 3D Coat and Blender, snapping my original retopo mesh onto the sculpt.  It was a big headache.  Unique sculpts currently require either manual retopology or autotopo.

In 3D coat, the only thing that a quad based mesh is useful for is for unwrapping or texture painting.  If I want to sculpt on it, I'll lose any ability to bring the mesh back into another 3D application with the same topology/UV data/etc.

The workflow currently is far too linear.  Sculpt-->Retopo--->Texture

Quad based sculpting could allow for sculpt<-->retopo-->texture<-->sculpt

What I propose would make the program a lot more production friendly.  Saving studios and artists a lot of time and money.  It would really turbocharge production for big studios and indies alike.

Edited by gbball
  • Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

Another use of Instant Meshes. Early testing, I could have used more polygons in the original instant mesh, the cut areas would have been finer and also in the final reduced mesh.

IM generally follows hard edges pretty good and the reason for looking at this workflow.

1. Create your Hard Surface retopo mesh using IM. Do some minor cleanup.

2. Export the mesh.

2. Import into Maya Lt and run the reduce polygon routine. You have a number settings.  There are other reduction software available.

3. Import reduced mesh for your retopo mesh in 3DC. IM mesh, 3000 polys-----Retopo mesh, 620 polygons. A few areas to cleanup but not many.

Pictures of first testing to see if this workflow is possible. More testing required but looks promising.

Model not shown for quality but just for early testing.

Capture100.PNG

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Contributor

What you just showcase is my "fast and dirty" low poly creation , before IM was implemented in 3D Coat officially. 

BUT , not with Maya LT due to the triangulation , i am doing it with Houdini Polyreduce 

polyreduce.jpg

without_poly_reduce.jpg

Do you love nodes now??? lol 3D Coat ---> IM or Retopo ---> Houdini , you just cant go wrong my good friend 

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Reputable Contributor

I chose to have part tris and quads as I could reduce farther down in polygon count using tris and quads. Maya LT has as a all quad parameter in the reduce settings. Here I get the best of both worlds. the cuts keep the detail in quads, the larger parts get the reduce tris... :D 

Lets see I got Blender nodes and Substance Designer nodes... Maybe one day for the heck of it throw in Houdini, then truly I will be in node heaven or the other place. LOL...

• Haha 1

• Advanced Member

He-he =) Thank you for this! =) Love it =)

So, another question =) Will you plan to integrate SketchRetopo? =) Or you will create another awesome tool to HQ retopology? =)

• Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, lesaint said:

@artofcharly Preferences > show beta tools   then in retopo room you have the tool Quad Paint,  I believe that is something similar ? (careful to save your work, it seems to crash a lot)

@lesaint Hm, not the same =) But I hope next time we will have better tool, than SkethRetopo+InstantMeshes+Autotopo + NVil =) he-he =) 

Edited by artofcharly

• Advanced Member
31 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Sketch Retopo Software may be used freely for non-commercial purposes, only.

@Carlosan I meant - integration like as SketchRetopo or Nvil or something better =))

Nvil retopo examples =) 

Hello everyone.

I don't know if there's something wrong with my PC but this latest 4.8.14C crashes every time!!
With 4.8.13 no problem at all!

The crash happens just after I try to create an empty voxel scene from the startup window of 3DC.
Simply I get the generic Windows message "3DC has stopped working..."

What's going on ?

Thanks.

Marco (mkdm)