3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

• Contributor

@Andrew Shpagin Is OpenSubDiv3 planned for integration? it's apparently faster/cleaner, less memory intensive, is more compatible with non-manifold topology and is now compatible with game engines. 

Using OpenSubDiv may be more efficient for painting HD displacement projects even with older hardware. Ultimately I'd like to try painting with Vector Displacements.. I'm also requesting Vector displacement maps output from the makers of 3DF Zephyr software for scanned photos rebuilt to 3D models (photogrammetry) I currently have an i7 4ghz, 32 GB ram, two GTX 970 video cards and SSD's -maybe powerful enough to paint Materials with Vector Displacements!

• Reputable Contributor

When instant meshes was implemented I remember someone complained here why implement something that is inferior.

Well, I love it, I have been using it extensively, but not as an end result.
What I do is first use it to produce a mesh with much more polygons than my target. In the retopo room I arrange it a bit with the brush tool, and then bring it to the paint room directly.
I go back to the retopo room, delete the mesh from there, hide my voxel layers, turn on wireframe,  turn on "snap to low poly vertices", and then I start building my final mesh on top with the help of the instant mesh vertices.

Edited by lesaint

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, lesaint said:

When instant meshes was implemented I remember someone complained here why implement something that is inferior.

Well, I love it, I have been using it extensively, but not as an end result.
What I do is first use it to produce a mesh with much more polygons than my target. In the retopo room I arrange it a bit with the brush tool, and then bring it to the paint room directly.
I go back to the retopo room, delete the mesh from there, hide my voxel layers, turn on wireframe,  turn on "snap to low poly vertices", and then I start building my final mesh on top with the help of the instant mesh vertices.

Is that for Hard Surface?  I can see that being a good workflow.  Not sure what the benefit would be for organic meshes though.

• Reputable Contributor
9 hours ago, gbball said:

Is that for Hard Surface?  I can see that being a good workflow.  Not sure what the benefit would be for organic meshes though.

Both, actually. With the brush tool I rearrange  the vertices of the instant mesh so that they are where I need them.

• Like 1

- Snap joints tool introduced, this is kitbashing, lego-like modeling. It is suitable for children and for adults. Only a few models there, we will extend kit by the time. 

- Huge changes in curves. Filling curve by patch works stable and provides good quality. Filling with holes inside supported. Just add curve in sub-tree of filled curve and it will be treated as hole. Boolean operations between curves in 3D. Many changes related to curves.

- Tutorials/scripted missions for newbies introduced for fast diving in!

- Ghost All works correctly

- AppLink export corrected

- Import Raw Voxel data speeded up 10 - 20x.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• Contributor

Nice update , thank you Andrew.

**For snap points , small bug , start with snap joints , turn into voxels , observe joins , turn into surface  and observe joints again.

They change positions.

P.S Is sculpt layers in this build even in Beta tools?

Edited by Michaelgdrs

2 minutes ago, Michaelgdrs said:

Nice update , thank you Andrew.

**For snap points , small bug , start with snap joints , turn into voxels , observe joins , turn into surface  and observe joints again.

They change positions.

P.S Is sculpt layers in this build even in Beta tools?

It is not included there, but very close to good beta version.

Joints tool mostly for surface mode. Voxelization will destroy connectivity. 

• Like 3

• Reputable Contributor
12 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

It is not included there, but very close to good beta version.

Joints tool mostly for surface mode. Voxelization will destroy connectivity. 

What does the "Tutorials/Scripting Mission for Newbies" mean?

• Advanced Member

I do not know if it is current beta only problem or not. so hope to ask here :mellow:

when I use Add/spilit tool, in retopo room to cut face with edge, I often feel difficultiy around corner edge.  Is there good way to manage it easy?

1. I import primitive on retopo Room

2  select Add/spilit tool. then start to cut faces by edge.

3 if new edge is added on the face, it work well. in this pic, I start point1 then set new point, and it cut face with edge as I expected

4  So I hope to make new edge from point 2. then  cut next face (inside) , I put new point on the edge.. 

5 at once it seems make new edge and cut face, but when I put point3, there is no edge.

I change direction to line edge, from point3 to point2, but no success.

6 if I make new point4 ,(so I need to merge point2 and point4 later,,) and connect (line) point3 and point 4,  it only work,

Is there more precise way to, cut faces with edge about these case?  I know, I may try cut loop etc, but hope more flexiblity , if it is standard behavor..

cutface1.JPG

cutface2.JPG

cutface3.JPG

cutface4.JPG

• Advanced Member

And those things often happen, when I select, point on edge then connect to another edge  , to cut face,but  it sometimes not happen.

so I can just extend edge from point to new point around face,, but  it suddenly stop again about opositte side face, then I need to make new point on the edge,, loop.

Is there any strict rule to cut line on the face, from point ( virtex)  which I put already? 

cutface7.JPG

• Reputable Contributor

The first thing you should do is turn off AUTO-SNAP at the top of the UI, in the toolbar. Whenever I run into this issue, it's often because there is some oddity in the area you are trying to cut to. Such as detached edges or flipped face, duplicate faces, etc. Under normal conditions it works as you would expect. What build are using, BTW. Sometimes people bring up an issue and it turns out they are using a build that is a few years old. If there was a bug in that build, it has probably since been fixed.

• Reputable Contributor

...and the reason I mention turning Auto-Snap off is, if there is no underlaying voxel or surface mode object, then why are you telling 3DCoat to snap to something that isn't there? Some tools, like Points and Faces, 3DCoat is looking for that underlying object. I just tested you example and it works on my end. 4.8.19

• Advanced Member

Thanks AbnRanger yse, yse,,,, it solve this problem  :)

when I import obj, 3d coat asked me, will it snap reference mesh, then I select no. so I simply believed current setting should be no snap, but it set as snap still:p:

HeHe,,,,  actually it was really frastrating, when I tried  to make some simple props, suddenly it seems not work any more, I feel most of other tool feel good for

retopo process, but this prroblem really annoying for me,,(so I planed to give up, use retopo room,, to edit primitive etc,,,)

Yes, now it work as I expected , 3d coat free knife tool, it is really really confortable for me!!,  

and Lesaint thanks addtional advice, I try it too!    (I afraid, if I need to report it as request,, but I believed, many 3d Coat user already offer report, if it only work such way)

anyway Thanks!!  

==========

mmmm,, I still get same problem about this primitive, (I think it is default primitive, which offered is not it?) , when I import cube, it cause no problem,so I could free add edge as I like. but about this primitive, it seems not work or cause issue. so I feel strange.

this time, I set no-snap.  and as Lesaint advice,split ring first,  it remove this problem once,, but when I clear obj from the layer, and re-import save primitive it cause same issue, about some point to point.  now I can not cut face this point to this point. (so I can see I put point, turn yellow,  and can see temp edge,  but when I hit Esc it disappear.  so I can not stop to put point by esc or all line disappear,,)

my current 3d coat version is 4.8.18 for windows 64 bit (I use windows 10, with keep up-date) open GL . I thiink, it may better to report or ask in other forum?I can not confrim it is bug or simply I miss setting,,,  if anyone have advice, I apreciate direct message please. (I do not want to disturb  beta test reports,,)

probreturn.JPG

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member

OK I understand, it is just a problem caused this retopo models. There are  some primitives in  RtpModels  >default , which not keep clean mesh.

These mesh corner vertices are not merged.  (so most of edges are double) , then when I locate point on edge, it only spilit one edge of two then cause problem).

Unforutnately  when I load these double retopo models, I can not find, which mesh is clean or not . untill I select and move edges.

To Make it work as usually, I may need all conner verts  merged. (reamove double). I often tried to use this model just for learning tools,

Then I  had seen same problem.  (so even though I import this mesh as voxel, then snap, if I still use this model as retopo model, it never work.

(or need to merge all verts of corner),   I request, about retopo primitives which offered officialy from 3d coat as download resource,  change as clean.(already remove dobules)

Though I can export them to another app and clean those, then re-import , and overwrite , and it may not cause problem for most of user, only beginner may feel strange

when they try to use these mesh.

• Reputable Contributor

@tokikake Use the "cap tool" to find holes. 
There is no "remove doubles", or "merge vertices" command, so, one by one, use the add/split tool to select vertices (don't move the mouse) and release. This will merge vertices. 
go back and forth between cap tool and split tool until you have merged all.

Edited by lesaint
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks, now this prolbem  soldved^_^.  (After all it was matter only about 2 RtpModels mesh which offered with arpciation)

To cofirm,  I export   double edge retopo objs to  blender then "remove double". and re-import them to 3d coat. as new ritopomodel (and save it new directory)  . It work as I expected.  I could cut line as I like from edge to edge around about new imported mesh.  I found only  two convex  retopo models,   In "3d coat installed  folda" /VoxStanms/RtpModels/   C_Extension.obj" and "L_Extension_01.obj"  cause problem.  then I report  them to  support by mail. and Additinonary I request  "one click  auto remove double edge (connected or weld vertices almost same location)  tool of selected layer and mesh. for Retopo room.  it should be useful I believe.  

Huge FPS Drops on a High end PC. Seems like this version is not optimized. Tried both Cuda and DX. Brushes are unstable 12-21 FPS on a 21milion Mesh.  Until now Version 15D is by far the most optimized there I can get 100Milion and no Problems.

@ Andrew Shpagin  if you want to know my specs let me know.

- Polished Joints snapping tool.

- Continuous development of curves.

- Fixed Cut&Clone tool

- fixed different multiselection problems

- Correct volume highlight, there was problem with completely metallic shaders

- Correct "Run brush along curve" - it was not working for some UI layouts.

Fixed problem of metalness painting with custom alphas.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Try switching off Preferences > Vertical synchronization.

I never had it on, but I like that it has been added. The VSync does a interesting stabilization at a lower FPS.  But Brush size FPS is still a problem.

Still this Update everything seems and feels snapper. It executes about 30% faster then per-releases .

Well done :)

Is there any plan for baking bent normal maps?  I'm trying to use Unity's DeLighting tool and it requires them along with Normal, Color, and Ambient. Or even better, a DeLighitng tool in 3DC, though I'm not sure how hard it is to do.