3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

• Reputable Contributor
3 minutes ago, philnolan3d said:

Is there any plan for baking bent normal maps?  I'm trying to use Unity's DeLighting tool and it requires them along with Normal, Color, and Ambient. Or even better, a DeLighitng tool in 3DC, though I'm not sure how hard it is to do.

The Light Baking Tool has that option.

• Like 1

OK this might be a bug. When I export textures view the menu, Textures > Export > Color/Albedo and say "No" on the "Fill empty space?" question. The exported images does not have 100% transparency. You can see below, a screenshot from Photoshop. how it exports on the left and how it should look on the right.

white_tree_bent.png

Also, early build with sculpt layers, only for real enthusiasts may be downloaded there:

http://pilgway.com/files/3dcoat/V4.8/3d-Coat-V4_8-20SL-64.exe

All same features as in 20 version, but with sculpt layers. Sculpt layers are functional even with topology-breaking functions (LC etc), but with some obvious limitations, rather visual than technical (tangent smoothing on previous layers looks not good after hoding non-top layer).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• Reputable Contributor
9 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Also, early build with sculpt layers, only for real enthusiasts may be downloaded there:

http://pilgway.com/files/3dcoat/V4.8/3d-Coat-V4_8-20SL-64.exe

All same features as in 20 version, but with sculpt layers. Sculpt layers are functional even with topology-breaking functions (LC etc), but with some obvious limitations, rather visual than technical (tangent smoothing on previous layers looks not good after hoding non-top layer).

This link is SUPER slow. Here is a link to it on GoogleDrive: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VaNT0os_sbnn6idLIL-VWJ1ddGqkKgCb/view?usp=sharing

• Contributor

Surface mode , and open the paint layers inside the sculpt room!!!!

Create a new layer and do your changes on the model .

Adjust normal from 0 to 100 to see the effect.

• Like 1

Finally adding a new layer and using move tool, i can make shape key animation to export onto another app. Well done.

But still need to export FBX 7.4 ASCII. This exporter can export shape keys which can be imported as BlendShapes. The binary FBX 6.1 exporter does not appear to export shape keys.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, haikalle said:

I'm amazed how fast sculpt layers work. If this speed remains the same after this feature is done I would be very happy :)

What do you mean by "fast?" Brush speed in the Sculpt workspace, or using the sliders to adjust the Depth Level of a layer. Just curious what aspect you are referring to.

• Like 1

• Applink Developer
2 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

What do you mean by "fast?" Brush speed in the Sculpt workspace, or using the sliders to adjust the Depth Level of a layer. Just curious what aspect you are referring to.

I mean using sliders to adjust the Depth level of layer. When I sculpt I want fast visual feedback when playing with ideas and this feature really gives it.

• Contributor
8 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Here is a quick demo for anyone wanting to know how it works (in general).

I have no words to describe how happy I am to have sculpt layers on 3D-Coat! Many thanks Andrew!

I would like to know if it would be possible to apply clipping mask in sculpt layers? The same way we're used to doing in paint layers?
And which Paint Room tools can be used in Sculpt Layers?
Thank you very much and today is a remarkable day!
:)

• Advanced Member

Is it possible to use new Joints tools in Retopo Room to kitbash a retopo mesh (or to use them like some kind of lowpoly modeling tools)? Of course, right now I can export from the Sculpt room to Retopo ("retopo via decimation" for example), but there is a lot of cleanup work after that.

• Contributor
6 hours ago, Carlosan said:

sculpt layers folder is working ?

I just did a quick test on the folders or groups in sculpt layers and it looks like it's working.

I do not know if Clipping Mask works ... 

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Rygaard said:

I just did a quick test on the folders or groups in sculpt layers and it looks like it's working.

I do not know if Clipping Mask works ... 

Andrew said it's still ongoing development, so there are still some features to be added, but it's usable enough now, in it's current state, to test and even utilize in some work.

• Contributor
1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

Andrew said it's still ongoing development, so there are still some features to be added, but it's usable enough now, in it's current state, to test and even utilize in some work. 

Fantastic!
It's true, it's just the beginning of development. Andrew was kind enough to give us this beta version of the sculpt layer. Once again, I thank Andrew very much for finally giving us this much-desired functionality. Of course, there will be many features and tools associated with Sculpt Layers and its enhancement. One step at a time!
Sculpt Layers will completely change the game, our work will greatly improve, allowing us to create where the sky is the limit! Everything has changed for the better!
I'm sure I'll use this beta in my work!
I think Clipping Mask (or masks for layers) is not currently applied to Sculpt layers, just for Paint layers.

If it were not going to be too much for you, but would Andrew be able to provide or list the tools that can be used in Sculpt Layers in this beta?

I quickly tested and so far the following tools work:
- Group Layers / Folders
- Erase Tool
- Slide Depth Opacity

1) I am not understanding about the Merge of layers.
Let's say you've finished working with the layers and you want to merge all layers into a single layer. How does Layer 0 and the other layers work in this sense of merge?

2) When you are in the Paint Room, and use the Depth (sculpting inside the Paint room) ... I mean you can also detail and sculpt inside the Paint room and return to Sculpt Room?

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Rygaard said:

Fantastic!
It's true, it's just the beginning of development. Andrew was kind enough to give us this beta version of the sculpt layer. Once again, I thank Andrew very much for finally giving us this much-desired functionality. Of course, there will be many features and tools associated with Sculpt Layers and its enhancement. One step at a time!
Sculpt Layers will completely change the game, our work will greatly improve, allowing us to create where the sky is the limit! Everything has changed for the better!
I'm sure I'll use this beta in my work!
I think Clipping Mask (or masks for layers) is not currently applied to Sculpt layers, just for Paint layers.

If it were not going to be too much for you, but would Andrew be able to provide or list the tools that can be used in Sculpt Layers in this beta?

I quickly tested and so far the following tools work:
- Group Layers / Folders
- Erase Tool
- Slide Depth Opacity

1) I am not understanding about the Merge of layers.
Let's say you've finished working with the layers and you want to merge all layers into a single layer. How does Layer 0 and the other layers work in this sense of merge?

2) When you are in the Paint Room, and use the Depth (sculpting inside the Paint room) ... I mean you can also detail and sculpt inside the Paint room and return to Sculpt Room?

Eraser works on Sculpt Layers, so far: Yes. Depth Opacity slider works? Yes. Haven't yet checked for folders.

• Contributor

Wow,it really works well !!!  :)The "artistic" aspect of it for sculpting is solid but the "pipeline" aspect of what sculpt layers are mostly used in the industry even in 2018 is not usable right now because

1) 3coat does not preserve vertex order and triangulate  the whole mesh on import in Surface mode

2)it destroy UVS

3)there is not way to go up and down subdivision levels (proxy mode changes topology we need basic up/down catmull subd)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
10 hours ago, artman said:

Wow,it really works well !!!  :)The "artistic" aspect of it for sculpting is solid but the "pipeline" aspect of what sculpt layers are mostly used in the industry even in 2018 is not usable right now because

1) 3coat does not preserve vertex order and triangulate  the whole mesh on import in Surface mode

2)it destroy UVS

3)there is not way to go up and down subdivision levels (proxy mode changes topology we need basic up/down catmull subd)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

1) If there is a low-poly mesh to "preserve vertex order and leave all quads," that is what the Retopo room + Conform Retopo Mesh is there for.

The whole point of a triangulated mesh is to accommodate the conversion between voxels and surface mode, and of course integrate LiveClay. Yes, I know you are fully aware of this, and that is why I am puzzled to hear you make the same argument a ZBrush user (new to 3DCoat) would typically make.

The fact that even ZBrush is also triangulating their meshes, now, with Sculptris mode, illustrates that this objection has little merit. Yes, you can reproject Sculptris Pro detail back onto the original quad mesh (not in every case, though) or get quads again by using Dynamesh, but these are still countermeasures...the same as "Conform Retopo Mesh" is. I fail to see why there is so much insistence on quads, when it doesn't afford any tangible benefit (that I can tell) over tri's, when sculpting. My guess is that people are just used to working with quads and thus working with all tris is a bit foreign to them. That doesn't mean quads are any better. In fact, in the earliest stages of a sculpt, they kind of look like garbage as you block out your forms.

2) Again, UV's don't matter on the high poly sculpt. They matter on the low-poly retopo or baking target mesh. Importing the base model into the Retopo room (to conform to the sculpt) and Sculpt room, solves this issue.

3) You and I both know that Proxy Meshes are a different approach to the same task. Again, it doesn't need to preserve topology. Does Dynamesh preserve topology? No, it doesn't. It trashes it. Yes, again, you can use countermeasures to get the detail back onto the original mesh, but if ZBrush is allowed to use countermeasures to solve the same issue, why isn't 3DCoat allowed to?

We both know that what you are asking is for a total re-write of the Sculpt Workspace, and for what....a few minimal benefits, if any? I have a license of ZBrush, and I use it from time to time, so I'm not totally one-sided on this. I just don't see the advantages of trying to force all quads on Andrew. 3DCoat is just a different animal, and it has a different way of doing the same task.

If you want to bake all your detail down to the original low poly quad mesh, you have a means to do that.

If you want that original to conform to the sculpting changes, you have a means to do that.

If you want to step down to lower levels of subdivision, you have a means to do that.

If you want to preserve UV's, you have a means to do that.

3DCoat does NOT need to do everything the ZBrush way in order to be "used in the Industry." The lack of Sculpt Layers and a Noise Generator (with a library of procedural noises) were/are the major hurdles to overcome, IMHO...not go all quads.