3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

• Reputable Contributor
17 minutes ago, Taros said:
0002370: QuadStripTool does not support Undo right

http://3dcoat.com/mantis/view.php?id=2370

UNDO of the Quads Strips tool works for me, but it's a deprecated Beta tool, much like QuadPaint. Raul left Pilgway before finalizing both of them, or at least making them useful enough to come out of a Beta state. During the V5 Beta period, Andrew is supposedly going to visit the Retopo room to add some retopo sketch tools that are sort of what QuadPaint and Quadstrips was supposed to be. 

On 8/10/2018 at 9:14 AM, AbnRanger said:

Connect doesn't work that way. It's not a "BRIDGE" tool. I've been asking for one for years, even asked Raul to first start with a simple bridge tool, rather than a fancy, jiggly thingy QuadPaint turned out to be.

Thank you Don for explaining the functionality. Are you so kind and post your comments in the future into the related mantis issue for better documentation? Your explaining will be lost in the forums which I'm shure. And I can close the issue in mantis.

So back to the topic. I have watched the video you posted very carefully. I have really thought very long about for which "situation" this way of using the tools could be good for. But hey. There are several more already existing ways in 3D-Coat to solve such a situation. I understand some people would like to have a way to split multiple edges and keep them as ngons. But why not create an automatic way to connect edges directly, or have a checkbox in the split edges tool to switch an automatic connection?

I guess we see here another situation where a programmer was left alone with an idea and never talked to an experienced 3D-Artist to develop a well proofed concept before starting to code a routine. And we have a lot of good artists here who like to help.

Well, it is very important to have a clever workflow and not just a function collection. Why expand the tools area with more single functions when there is actually no need for?

At this point: Is there any need for mantis? I've posted my issues into mantis to give all people a hint to use the system more. But if there is no use for a bugtracker anymore, then ok. But it would be a bad decision to quit mantis in my opinion. But whatever. I will continue to post my problems in this way in the future.

Best wishes
Chris

On 8/10/2018 at 9:23 AM, AbnRanger said:

UNDO of the Quads Strips tool works for me, but it's a deprecated Beta tool, much like QuadPaint. Raul left Pilgway before finalizing both of them, or at least making them useful enough to come out of a Beta state. During the V5 Beta period, Andrew is supposedly going to visit the Retopo room to add some retopo sketch tools that are sort of what QuadPaint and Quadstrips was supposed to be. 

Thank you for your answer. In your version you press CTRL-Z once and the strip is removed directly? I have to press Undo several times before something happen.

I think even if a tool is in beta stage, it should be important to collect problems in a system like mantis to find and solve them later, right?

• Reputable Contributor
16 hours ago, Taros said:

0002374: Voxel objects are disturbing Curvature map calculation strongly

http://3dcoat.com/mantis/view.php?id=2374

I suspect they (Sculpt objects) are also being calculated with the low poly, UV mapped Paint Object when baking AO, as well. Even though the sculpt objects are hidden in the viewport. One reason is it takes considerably longer to bake than it otherwise would, and I even see a progress bar mentioning that it's calculating Voxels.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 3DCoatRocks said:

I have this problem with 3D Coat, Extra surfaces (faces) pop out of sharp corners. How do I avoid it? I am using v4.8.20

3dCoatError.PNG

Triangulate at import or make splits. It's because of ngons.

1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

I suspect they (Sculpt objects) are also being calculated with the low poly, UV mapped Paint Object when baking AO, as well. Even though the sculpt objects are hidden in the viewport. One reason is it takes considerably longer to bake than it otherwise would, and I even see a progress bar mentioning that it's calculating Voxels.

I think the same. But it's tricky. The user must decide then what have to be used for baking. Normal maps, voxels  or both...

• Reputable Contributor
7 hours ago, Taros said:

I think the same. But it's tricky. The user must decide then what have to be used for baking. Normal maps, voxels  or both...

I would hope that it bakes only what is visible. On another note, Andrew is still on vacation (comes back tomorrow, I believe), so that is why there is not yet a response about this bug reports.

13 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

I would hope that it bakes only what is visible. On another note, Andrew is still on vacation (comes back tomorrow, I believe), so that is why there is not yet a response about this bug reports.

Visibility could be a solution. But it's a bit confusing for the common users if you have to hide the paint objects and show the voxels to use them for baking a curvature map in the paint room. Sounds not logic: Why should be someting baked on an invisible model? It must be a global solution that work for all baking methods.

Better and more usable would be to set options in the tool that need them. In this case the curvature window e.g. Then it's there, where it's needed. Much easier to explain to users.

At this point it would be good to have just one menu option in the retopo room: "Bake maps". An single assistant window would appear then and the user could just set what have to be baked and which options control the baking. But it's not time for ideas. :)

About Andrew: No problem. I have time. More important is to mention the issues. We have no influence to the development shedule anyway.

• Advanced Member

Yes it has been mentioned previously...maybe it will get re inserted at some point.( Unless it has gone AWOL because of a bug.)  Also while I am here does anyone use that yellow square in the gizmo much, fine if you do but i just find it just gets in my way . Could do with a hide option.

• Reputable Contributor

Oh cool, thanks, the tool tips Andrew posted there might help.
I have a hard time with the gizmo too, Stsutcliffe. I often misclick. It is a problem because CtrlZ does not always work with transform, especially if you are using "conform retopo mesh". Undo will undo on the retopo but not the sculpt or vice versa.

Another problem under the same conditions : Snap to ground moves sculpt mesh but retopo mesh doesn't follow.

• Reputable Contributor
7 hours ago, cerokyn said:

yes latest on mac

autopick u mean at the top?

disable it

clicking on new instance and it still is being highlighting new and the original

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 12.01.20 PM.png

In some situations, I think that could actually be helpful, showing which objects are instanced with which other objects. But, it needs to be an option somewhere. Maybe when holding down the SHIFT or CTRL key? 

25.08.2018 4.8.21

- Correct "Pick point1/2" picking in FIll tool

- solved different problems of volumes multiselection

- fixed script commands SetCurVolume, SelectVolume

- Open VDB codec enabled.

- baking corrected. There was a lot of problems of baking non-closed objects in surface representation.

Curves:

- primitives for curves

- Curves->Modifiers menu

- Extrude points

- a lot of polishing of different tools.

- back side of curve visibility toggle.

SculptLayers:

- Merge Down, Merge Visible

- correct load/save of scene

- a lot of polishing and bugfix.

• Like 4

For me it means a new beginning for 3dc... 

OpenVDB is a new C++ library... particle simulation, voxel animation, fluids, hair, new boolean system... sky is the limit.

OpenVDB offers a hierarchical data structure for the storage and manipulation of sparse volumetric data. The structure itself derives from B+trees, as used in the NTFS file system, and is basically made of a root node, followed by two intermediate levels of nodes and finally leaf nodes, which contain the voxels. Typically leaves contain 8 x 8 x 8 voxels.

K. Museth, “VDB: High-Resolution Sparse Volumes With Dynamic Topology

page 20 -quote-

VDB is currently being applied to a large body of simulation, modeling, and rendering problems at DreamWorks Animation, including: cloud modeling, seamless volumetric fracturing, scan con-version, adaptive mesh extraction, implicit surface fairing, morphing, 3D compositing and CSG, brickmaps, elliptic pressure solvers, fluid simulations, level set methods, GPU rendering of isosurfaces and volumes for interactive previsualization, multiscattered volume rendering, volume-based hair growthand grooming, particle advection, and collision detection.

• Advanced Member

Hi Carlosan,

thank you for the links, but I already know what VDB is used for, because I'm a VFX/Houdini artist, so I used that in the past.

I had to ask forgiveness as I formulate the question in the wrong way.

While I'm very happy to see 3DCoat and VDB in the same page, I was wondering what "codec" means, I was wondering how to use VDB inside 3DCoat, how do you import VDB? can you import a VDB sequence? Where can I find more documentation about it?

Thank you again.