3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

• Reputable Contributor

There are some more annoying bugs, still...which I reported with a text file, last past week. One of those was that 3DCoat resets the HIGHLIGHTING settings back to default every time you open the application. That means adjusting it the way you like....will get wiped out the next time you open 3DCoat. :dash2:

Another MAJOR, MAJOR, MAJOR bug is that the whole UI flickers off when scrubbing the DEPTH slider, when using Sculpt Layers. Did I mention this is a MAJOR bug? :D

Another major bug is that 3DCoat flips the brush alpha upside down on the mirrored side, when using the Stamp Draw Modes w/ Symmetry enabled.

• Advanced Member

Hi, guys =) In the new 4.21 Sculpt layers doesn't work..  =(( But in 4.21SL everything fine =)

• Advanced Member
42 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

There is other link on the same page for SculptLayers version. It is other build.

I know =) I showed it in the video =) So as I understand - now only 4.21SL working with the Sculpt Layers. Right? So, another question =) when SculptLayers will work in the official build? =) In which build =) he-he =)

• Reputable Contributor
6 hours ago, artofcharly said:

I know =) I showed it in the video =) So as I understand - now only 4.21SL working with the Sculpt Layers. Right? So, another question =) when SculptLayers will work in the official build? =) In which build =) he-he =)

Nobody knows at this point. It's still at a very experimental stage, with a number of (Sculpt Layer) features still to add. I think it's a good idea for Andrew to keep an updated stable build and keep the Sculpt Layers builds separate, for testing purposes, until the features he intends to add, are completed. He may merge them soon. We'll have to wait and see. 

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
On 8/27/2018 at 12:37 AM, AbnRanger said:

Nobody knows at this point. It's still at a very experimental stage, with a number of (Sculpt Layer) features still to add. I think it's a good idea for Andrew to keep an updated stable build and keep the Sculpt Layers builds separate, for testing purposes, until the features he intends to add, are completed. He may merge them soon. We'll have to wait and see. 

He-he =) Awesome future near =) 

On 8/25/2018 at 8:11 PM, thinkinmonkey said:

嗨Carlosan,

谢谢你的链接,但是我已经知道一家用于什么,因为我是一个视效/胡迪尼的艺术家,所以我使用,在过去。

我不得不请求原谅我用错误的方式制定问题

而我很高兴看到3 dcoat和一家在同一页,我在想“编码”是什么意思,我不知道如何使用一家3 dcoat内部,如何导入一家? 你可以导入一个一家序列吗? 我在哪里可以找到更多的文档呢?

再次感谢你。

This seems to be a huge update,I think there should be a menu for importing VBD files,Although I did not find it.

When I delete a layer from the Voxtree panel with the garbage bin icon, my layer gets deleted.

When I use Ctrl+Z and undo it, the layer comes back in the voxtree panel but the object doesn't reappear on the screen. 

bug confirmed

• Contributor

Using the latest beta I was confronted with this after a bake:

2018-09-01_1108.thumb.png.90502d45c6044f060dc20c20be919812.png

It doesn't go away when you go to the Sculpt space and you can't cancel the baking plus, it doesn't undo.  In the paint room, unticking Show voxels makes the below which doesn't capture the tread.2018-09-01_1435.thumb.png.a4f6a51432bfebc1d781c3435a5f2bab.png.  I sent it to Andrew.

Edited by Tony Nemo
Showing detail.

• Contributor

I found that repeated use of the Smooth All button got them back to size. So I started with new objects of the same things and thought to try Autopo. The first 'per pixel' attrmpt yielded this:2018-09-02_1428.thumb.png.050de26259e85cdcea9ef5ecf875b8e0.png

Note the absence of a mesh or outer shell (nothing visible for inner shell). Another attempt for MV was the same. With simple Autopo (default),  It didn't present the baking window but still no mesh. I did get one of those "Retopo via decimation" meshes but they were 100% triangles and inappropriate for my uses.

• Contributor

Hey everyone,
I am using 3d-coat version 4.8.21SL
Possible bug in Split tool in Surface mode.

On the surface mode, the Split Tool is not working properly. The tool is not dividing the object and separating in layers in voxTree as we are accustomed to using this tool.
It has the same behavior as the CutOff tool, deleting the part that was selected.

In voxels mode Split tool is working properly.

thank you.

• Reputable Contributor
19 hours ago, Tony Nemo said:

Perhaps this is a new one. Note the imperfections in "Perfect symmetry":

2018-09-03_1448.thumb.png.1a0d407443bc8253369cf59af963f9f1.png

On a job like this, to copy and paste repetitious stuff like I'm doing would be so much faster. 

Have you tried Radial Symmetry for the tread?

• Contributor
2 hours ago, Rygaard said:

Hey everyone,
I am using 3d-coat version 4.8.21SL
Possible bug in Split tool in Surface mode.

On the surface mode, the Split Tool is not working properly. The tool is not dividing the object and separating in layers in voxTree as we are accustomed to using this tool.
It has the same behavior as the CutOff tool, deleting the part that was selected.

In voxels mode Split tool is working properly.

thank you.

Sorry ... I forgot to comment that I was using symmetry in X.
It seems that if you do not use symmetry the Split tools works on surface mode.
Is this behavior normal with the Split tool on surface mode?

5.09.2018 4.8.22.

- Fixed painting with symmetry problems - incorrect alpha rotation.

- Correct lasso job in UV preview window.

- 3DC does not calculate cavity/occlusion for invisible objects.

- Solved problem of UI layout changes during new/import/applinks interaction.

- Fixed problems of RMB/LMB outside the curves window.

- Fixed Undo issue if you delete object from the vox tree using backet icon.

- Proxy additional warning to prevent loosing cached volumes.

- Doubleclick to delete point in curve window, correct edit of Tapering and other windows with curves on smaller screens.

- Correct name of volume after merging mesh with complex extension

- Highlight volume information correctly stored, not lost after Coat's restart.

Sculpt layers:

Reprojection tool! Yo may reproject using brush or whole scene

- fixed flickering of UI during depth opacity changing.

Curves:

- correct points extrude function over partially selected curve.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor

@Andrew Shpagin MANY thanks , for all the hard work , erase works fine , fixes are solid AMAZING WORK.

Reprojection couldn't quite get it although i got it working.

Any tip on how to mirror the sculpt layers?

Sculpt layers are so powerful and faster , faster than any other sculpting app out there but cant use it with out the mirror , ,SUPERIOR RESULTS.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT is there a way to import a model in sculpt room  in surface mode without having 3d coat triangulate it ,i need it to be same type / topology as the original model before the import. Just like when we import from paint room and it preserves the original topology.

Many thanks.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

5.09.2018 4.8.22.

- Fixed painting with symmetry problems - incorrect alpha rotation.

- Correct lasso job in UV preview window.

- 3DC does not calculate cavity/occlusion for invisible objects.

- Solved problem of UI layout changes during new/import/applinks interaction.

- Fixed problems of RMB/LMB outside the curves window.

- Fixed Undo issue if you delete object from the vox tree using backet icon.

- Proxy additional warning to prevent loosing cached volumes.

- Doubleclick to delete point in curve window, correct edit of Tapering and other windows with curves on smaller screens.

- Correct name of volume after merging mesh with complex extension

- Highlight volume information correctly stored, not lost after Coat's restart.

Sculpt layers:

Reprojection tool! Yo may reproject using brush or whole scene

- fixed flickering of UI during depth opacity changing.

Curves:

- correct points extrude function over partially selected curve.

Thanks for those fixes, Andrew! :good2:

10 minutes ago, Michaelgdrs said:

@Andrew Shpagin MANY thanks , for all the hard work , erase works fine , fixes are solid AMAZING WORK.

Reprojection couldn't quite get it although i got it working.

Any tip on how to mirror the sculpt layers?

Sculpt layers are so powerful and faster , faster than any other sculpting app out there but cant use it with out the mirror , ,SUPERIOR RESULTS.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT is there a way to import a model in sculpt room  in surface mode without having 3d coat triangulate it ,i need it to be same type / topology as the original model before the import. Just like when we import from paint room and it preserves the original topology.

Many thanks.

Maybe apply symmetry. Then duplicate layer. Then erase left part on one layer and right on other.

Preserving quads is problem. But it is considered. We have now 7 programmers, good matematicians there as well.

• Like 4

• Contributor

@Andrew ShpaginRegarding mirror , i already tried it before asking , first thing i tried when i saw the erase sculpt tool , UNFORTUNATELY when i duplicate the layer it looses the info.

Also tried copy channels depth , no luck there as well.

Great news for team expanding , best of luck from heart , you got all of our support.

EDIT Mirror for sculpt layers , how to make it WORK.

How i made mirror work so far.

1) Apply symmetry on model

2) Sculpt etc on a new layer

3) Duplicate model

4) Erase one side on original model

5) Erase other side on duplicate model

Problem solved.

Now we have 2 models with 1 sculpt layer that contains info of depth for both.

Edit 2 i will try to automate this with a script once i get some free time on my hands.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Reputable Contributor

After some quick testing, the Sculpt Layers speed boost (when adjusting Depth Slider) is now gone. I think we may have stumbled upon the source for the "Slow-as-Frozen-Molasses" slider performance these many years. When the UI was flickering on/off in previous Sculpt Layer builds, the live adjustments with the Depth Slider was relatively smooth and fast.

Now that the UI flickering is fixed, slider adjustment is back to being unusable, because it's so slow. Does that not point to a problem with the UI drawing, and that as long as it's in place, slider performance gets very little CPU priority? I also noticed that the SUBDIVIDE Brush is missing. The Erase Layers brush should be at the bottom of the Brush section, in my opinion. Not at the Top.

While I'm at it, SMOOTHER should be renamed DISSOLVE as that is the most accurate description of it's job. Smoother sounds odd and conflicts a bit with the SMOOTH Brush.

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, PolyHertz said:

Yes! Thank you so much! I've been hoping to see this bug fixed for years, so glad to see it's finally happened :D

Oh wow, me too ! But... one thing remains : when you hide all vox layers in the sculpt room by hiding only the root, if you the switch to the paint room, the root is turned visible again (showing all the layers you didn't manually hide). :/

• Like 1