3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Tony Nemo said:

You must untick  "Show voxels in Paint".

Thank you Tony, I will do that as a workaround.

That said, I think it is just that, a workaround, because it is often useful to see the high poly in paint room, for example when you want to do vertex painting, 
It doesn't make sense to have to go to the menu for that.

• Reputable Contributor

I am encountering this new bug with 4.8.22 on Windows 10 :

When I try to "bake with normal map" from the retopo room,  if the high poly happens to be in surface mode, it gets automatically thickened (with the default value of 0.04 I think), between the time you close the ambient occlusion window and the time the import window pops up.

To reproduce : high poly in surface mode 
retopo room with retopo mesh > bake with normal map.

It might not be a problem in some cases, but the fact is that it makes some meshes explode.

Here is an example snapshot with a test mesh. mesh density is much higher in those areas, that is why "thicken" exploded it.

2018-09-06_2044.png

• Contributor
1 hour ago, lesaint said:

Thank you Tony, I will do that as a workaround.

That said, I think it is just that, a workaround, because it is often useful to see the high poly in paint room, for example when you want to do vertex painting, 
It doesn't make sense to have to go to the menu for that.

I think off should be the default.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
On 9/4/2018 at 2:42 PM, Tony Nemo said:

Would you use a saved '.mesh' for this?

Do you mean a mesh stored in the "Retopo Models" pallet? You could do that or you the Clone tool, which makes a clone of the selected poly's and is like importing a new mesh (preview object w/ transform Gizmo). I realize you know most of these tools, but just in case these can refresh your memory on one small step here or there.

• Reputable Contributor
On 9/3/2018 at 4:54 PM, Tony Nemo said:

Perhaps this is a new one. Note the imperfections in "Perfect symmetry":

2018-09-03_1448.thumb.png.1a0d407443bc8253369cf59af963f9f1.png

On a job like this, to copy and paste repetitious stuff like I'm doing would be so much faster. 

Here is an example of a somewhat similar task, using Radial symmetry.

• Contributor
5 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Do you mean a mesh stored in the "Retopo Models" pallet? You could do that or you the Clone tool, which makes a clone of the selected poly's and is like importing a new mesh (preview object w/ transform Gizmo). I realize you know most of these tools, but just in case these can refresh your memory on one small step here or there.

The .Mesh I was referring to is a saved selection and I can just clone it.

• Contributor

After cloning the selection, I found placing and snapping to be pretty fiddly but with practice, faster than doing each tread and I could use a larger selection. Problem now is no way to rid  me of those seams (the usual tools have no effect).2018-09-07_1251.thumb.png.a5ec7585f7f68306e94efbaddf5b2a30.png

• Reputable Contributor
9 hours ago, Tony Nemo said:

After cloning the selection, I found placing and snapping to be pretty fiddly but with practice, faster than doing each tread and I could use a larger selection. Problem now is no way to rid  me of those seams (the usual tools have no effect).2018-09-07_1251.thumb.png.a5ec7585f7f68306e94efbaddf5b2a30.png

You have to make sure you are on the UV Set that the mesh is assigned to, or it acts strange like that.

• Reputable Contributor
10 minutes ago, Tony Nemo said:

It's acting strange when there's only one retopo Object.

2018-09-08_1412.png.c534077564b1ced22e4fb7962873185b.png

This is from a repair. Note that the rest of the mesh is a different color like it wasn't in the same Retopo object. Hiding the layer makes it all invisible.

It's the same retopo object yes, but you probably have two "materials", or "uv-set", however you call it. check the dropdown menu top left of the screen.

To fix it, at the bottom of the retopo object box, click on the little grid icon "select all faces in this layer", then go to the top left of the screen, near the dropdown menu I mentioned, and click on "move selected", then choose one uv-set. 
After that, go to the dropdown menu again and click on "remove unused uv-sets".
This should fix your problem.

Sorry I did not notice you were quite familiar with 3d-Coat. you have probably checked all this. Please forgive me, maybe you have really stumbled on a new bug.

Edited by lesaint

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, lesaint said:

It's the same retopo object yes, but you probably have two "materials", or "uv-set", however you call it. check the dropdown menu top left of the screen.

To fix it, at the bottom of the retopo object box, click on the little grid icon "select all faces in this layer", then go to the top left of the screen, near the dropdown menu I mentioned, and click on "move selected", then choose one uv-set. 
After that, go to the dropdown menu again and click on "remove unused uv-sets".
This should fix your problem.

Sorry I did not notice you were quite familiar with 3d-Coat. you have probably checked all this. Please forgive me, maybe you have really stumbled on a new bug.

I've had this happen, in the past as well, and it works as you described. It is rather annoying and I wish Andrew would fix it.

• Reputable Contributor
48 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

I've had this happen, in the past as well, and it works as you described. It is rather annoying and I wish Andrew would fix it.

It is quite useful to be able to swap faces between "retopo objects" and "uv-sets".

For example it is difficult to work with the Add/split tool when there is geometry in the background, in your line of sight. Apart from switching to another tool, the only solution is to move part of your retopo mesh to a new retopo object, so that you can hide the rest.
It also allows you to use the split ring tool on part of your mesh without affecting everything.

Swapping between uv-sets helps in the unwrapping process.

I mean, I am not sure what there is to fix, it is all quite useful. Maybe the problem is that it is not obvious at first sight which uv-set you are working on.

• Applink Developer

I find very often uv-sets and retopo groups to be very confusing. They are very linked into each other but in 3d-coat they are very far from each other( far right and left of the screen). In my opinion uv-set should be in same hierarcly window with retopo groups. 

• Like 3

• Contributor

In my case,  cloning not only generated another retopo object but another UV map named like my original (but with an under slash where I use a space). I didn't realize this hence my confusion. Thanks,  lesaint, for the hint. BTW, Andrew bestowed "Expert" on me for my advanced age but I am really an amateur.

Edited by Tony Nemo
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
17 minutes ago, lesaint said:

Anyone else running into problems loading huge .3b files saved with 4.8.22 on Win10 ? (500MB to 1.5GB in my case). Those files created in 4.8.22 don't load in 4.8.18 either.

I have several 9GB files I saved in 4.8.22, the oldest version I still have of 3D Coat on my pc is 4.8.19 and they did load for me. Granted they take a few mins to load but that has always been the case with large 3b files for me, but the file loads and looks as expected.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
5 minutes ago, Mystical said:

I have several 9GB files I saved in 4.8.22, the oldest version I still have of 3D Coat on my pc is 4.8.19 and they did load for me. Granted they take a few mins to load but that has always been the case with large 3b files for me, but the file loads and looks as expected.

I guess I just need to add RAM then. On one load attempt 3dc said "out of memory", and suggested increasing pagefile, which I did. Funny though, I don't run into this problem with files created in 4.8.18

- Fixed the crash problem in the measure tool( point of the first click equals to point of the second click)

- Problem of flipping pen direction fixed.

- Fixed export crash

- Measurement units kepth between sessions

- fixed problem of scaling during fill (if scene has scale <> 1)

- fixed rare crash related to complex UI configurations.

Sculpt layers:

- Duplicate layer works correctly

- Reproject tool polished, correctly works with scale, well documented via tooltips, may project color and depth and keep all this in layers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Carlosan

You are correct, if I choose no, then it works. If I click yes, then they get rescaled. Actually, now I understand what this box is for. I didn't understand it before :) However, I would think that if I scale the imported then apply, regardless of what my initial option was, shouldn't it behave as I control it upon applying it?

Regardless, there may be a use case for this behavior. At least I know how to revert it back (Geometry->Edit Scene Scale)

By the way, you always answer quickly, even on the weekends. Sometimes I feel bad for posting questions on weekends. Thanks a lot!

Edited by Makketronics
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, stusutcliffe said:

.... 아직 retopoed 또는 UVd되지 않은 obj에 범프 / 노멀 맵을 페인트하는 것처럼 보이지만 범프 페인팅은 텍스처 맵에서만 작동합니다.

(아이디가 당신의 화상을 잘못 해석하면 사과드립니다.)

The 21st version is good.But not from version 22~23 ㅠㅠ