3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

• Contributor

Hey Everyone,
Surface Hide Tool does not work as it should.
Even the surface of the mesh being hidden, any operation of other tools such as Pose Tool and Move Brush, the hidden mesh will have its surface modified as well.
I believe the function of Surface Hide that in addition to hiding the geometry, it should avoid any modification on the mesh surface similar to Freeze Tool.
I do not know if this is a bug in the Surface Hide tool or if the behavior of the tool is that even the geometry is hidden undergoes changes.

Note: When using the Pose Tool (Paint property), even if the geometry is hidden, the user can paint influence on the surface of the hidden mesh even if the user does not want it.
Please see the video that I made about this... Thank you.

• Contributor
1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Surface Hide just hide the polygons from being seen or edited by stroking over an area. Noting more.

VoxHide is the tool for that use. Test it please. 

Hi @Carlosan
Thanks for answering me.... But what if you're working in Surface mode? And can not convert your work into Voxels?
How can you hide a geometry and not change this hidden geometry?

Are you sure this is not a tool bug?
If that's what you told me about just hiding polygons, I'm very sad and disappointed with this behavior of the Surface hide tool. Because I work a lot hiding parts of the mesh to be able to have a better view of the surface that I want to work on and the most important thing is not to change the geometry that is hidden.
If it's just to hide polygons, I'm sorry to say that, but the tool becomes completely useless for any function.

I realized something strange when I worked on the sculpture of a character and when I saw the character was with a very strange deformation in the leg and I had not understood the reason for it. I had ruined all my work without knowing it and I had to redo the work.

Without wanting to compare with the competing program, but I have to say if you hide a surface in that program, in addition to hiding, it protects the hidden part, not allowing any alteration of the hidden surface. As if it had the Freeze function at the same time the surface is hidden.

Please, could you tell me how I can work in Surface mode, hiding a surface without deforming it while being hidden?
Thank you very much

• Reputable Contributor

Anyone else experiencing strange (messed up) result from Geometry>clean surface with mesh decimated down to 100k or less ? 

Usually before using Autopo, I decimate>smooth all>clean surface several times.
With 4.8.28A-SL I find I can't do clean surface, it makes the mesh explode here or there. It is not visible if you just glance at your whole mesh, you only notice it if you inspect everywhere.

• Contributor

Hi. I just moved to GNU/Linux and noticed some general issues with how 3D Coat's configuration directories are handled:

0002384: Every time 3D Coat executable is started, it sets 77777 file mode bits to all 3D Coat-related paths

0002385: 3D Coat creates its configuration paths directly inside user's home directory

0002386: 3D Coat V4.8 creates legacy configuration paths

By the way, is it possible to edit an already submitted Mantis report? I made some typos and would like to correct them. IIRC we could do that in earlier MBT versions.

• Contributor

@Tony Nemo, I opened your .3b file and I didn't see any issues with the geo (neither hipoly nor retopo or exported stuff). However, I forgot that GNU/Linux version is a little bit behind the Windows one, so I guess I'm not up to date with the most recent betas and thus can't be of any help here. Sorry about that, Tony.

• Contributor
18 hours ago, lesaint said:

I opened with 4.8.28A-SL on Win 10.
Exported with your export settings.

Imported back to retopo room in a new file, all fine.
brought it to paint room, still fine.
I also opened it in Blender 2.79, still fine.

I switched to the SL version and it turned out perfectly but I did cleanup the geometry somewhat. Thanks for the encouragement!

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:54 PM, ajz3d said:

how 3D Coat's configuration directories are handled...

Please define environment variable "COAT_FILES_PATH" with full path to your custom documents (configuration) folder. Read more here:
http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/Docs/CustomDocumentsFolder.pdf
The environment variable should be defined globally to Gnome applications. Please see section "Environment variables under Linux" in this document:
http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/LinuxDocs/FServer.pdf

• Like 1

• Contributor

Hello and thank you @SERGYI,
I've set COAT_FILES_PATH to point at ~/.config/3dcoatv48 and it works. Additionally, 3D Coat doesn't create legacy directories for V4 and V3 anymore, so this env path solved two of the reported problems.
I didn't touch COAT_SERVER, FSERVER_LOGFILE and FSERVER_LICPATH paths yet because I'm currently on trial of the GNU/Linux version of 3D Coat, so I guess I don't have anything to configure and point at.

I think 0002385 and 0002386 can be marked as resolved. User error...

What remains is the problem with 3D Coat changing file/dir permissions.

1 hour ago, Sorda said:

Whyyyy sooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowly??? 

Use the google drive link in the first post. :)

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor

4.8.28A-SL Win10

Amusing bug(?)... after you have figured out what is happening :

In the paint room, set the active layer's Depth Opacity to Zero
Go to the Sculpt room, and try to use Move tool or the Pose tool on any vox layer, be it in surface mode or in voxel mode : It does not work, it only produces a visual effect similar to that of a normal map.

• Applink Developer
2 minutes ago, Sorda said:

It's so wonderful to try the new version, in the hope that they will fix the old bugs, however I get a "dynamic save", and at the moment when the program crashes, the save begins .... my file flies to nowhere. Thanks a lot to the development team. 

I have had some issues too with dynamic save. Usually if I wait for while I'm able save my project. I have been working with my old projects so I dont know if this issue is linked only with old 3b files. 

• Advanced Member

So i deleted this .28 version becouse it so bagged. Try better, Andrew =( 

Sh*t. WTF are u doing developments? I saved my project in .28 version but can not open it in .25 version. VERY BIG THANKS - I cant open my file in stable v.25 and want to work in bagged v.28. THANKS. 

Edited by Dmitry Bedrik

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, Sorda said:

So i deleted this .28 version becouse it so bagged. Try better, Andrew =( 

Sh*t. WTF are u doing developments? I saved my project in .28 version but can not open it in .25 version. VERY BIG THANKS - I cant open my file in stable v.25 and want to work in bagged v.28. THANKS. 

Because it zips the file. Someone requested this, to preserve file space, and that is the inevitable consequence. That what is desirable for one person, isn't always helpful for the next person.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

...just like someone has convinced Andrew that they need another offshoot of 3DCoat. So, instead of Sculpt Layers being finished and feature complete, it gets put on the back-burner, while pointless development on a Shoe Design version of 3DCoat is being worked on. I do not think all the different versions of 3DCoat is beneficial and I wish people would quit trying to convince Andrew it would be such a great idea if he had a version for 3D Printing, and another for Medical/Dental, and another Game Modding....and now another for shoe design. Good grief. Pilgway is a small company and cannot sustain multiple different versions. Not to mention the fact that it kills actual development of 3DCoat.

If we didn't have all these different versions, we would have a more full-featured Sculpt Layers toolset by now. We would have had a revamped Layer Masking system, Improved Retopo tools, Noise Generator w/ extensive Library, etc.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Applink Developer

But in the end this is his product and his company. I think it's not our place to tell him what direction to take with creating other product. Of course we can make feature requests for 3d-coat and report bugs and that's very important part. But in the end it's Andrew that make final decisions, because he owns this company.