3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

• Contributor
26 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Assign Photoshop as default, look at channels in Photoshop

I did not know that. Thank you very much for the information to see on the Alpha channel palette of the Programs when editing alphas in 16 Bits.
In the image, you may notice that in Gimp it appears differently from Photoshop and in Krita there is no Alpha.

image.png.17fb2d1fbeb300b177f605cd3e149367.png
I will try to do more testing by modifying the 16-bit alphas, saving and returning to 3D-Coat to see what will happen.
What I knew was just how to edit alphas in the Edit Ext. Editor that appeared the 4 channels in the Layers palette. I honestly did not know about the alphas in the Channels palette. Thank you very much. I will continue to test.

• Advanced Member

It is not directly about current beta, but hope to add request about Tiff for future beta.

The problem is Other many soft ware can not full support Tiff layer. Only photo shop user can manage Tiff alpha as brash :(

I already found same problem , when I tried to convert brush as square size, with 3d coat training video.

I could save as Tiff then re-import in 3d coat only, but I can not edit Tiff and re-import ti as Tiff about Gimp and Krita.

These aprication not full suport Tiff layer.  So I do not hope to use Photo shop and adobe products,, 

Hope if Andrew can offer way to handle 16 bit alpha brash (other format etc,,) for Gimp and Krita.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
21 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

- Load/Save for noise

Oh my! Thank you for this!

This little thing is actually great!

Screenshot_4.jpg.4fd39eb6f85dbfc7e8ce5de35824b78d.jpg

Edited by druh0o
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

whenever 3Dcoat have a new tool, quickaccess slides.

I always use quickaccess. it is not convenient.

in this picture, quickaccess1 is Move tool. but it changes Fit tool.:(

quickaccess.png.72ed60ca4327264772b88afcce9c50e1.png

On 1/31/2019 at 9:19 PM, Rygaard said:

Hey everyone,

I quickly did the following tests:

1- I tried to import a file in EXR format (dragging from the windows explorer folder) and 3D-Coat closed (crash!) And asked to save the project.
- In the "Open texture" option of the Alphas palette there is no option of choosing the EXR extension to open. So, for me to try to open the EXR, I drag the file from the folder into 3D-Coat and for me the program closes (crash!) At the same time.

I tried to drop EXR and it works as expected. Please send me that EXR to andrewshpagin@gmail.com

On 1/31/2019 at 9:19 PM, Rygaard said:

2- In the other test, I tried to use the Edit The 16-bit Tif option and the problem of opening the alpha continues. An error message and when the external editor opens, there is no alpha, but the document appears with black background.
image.thumb.png.d58361a1d24ce7195929b8ae79d57dd2.png

I downloaded and installed GIMP. It opens tif with error message, but alpha channels are correct.

• Advanced Member

Andrew please re-save it in Gimp again, and how change (overwrite) in 3d coat.

with use 3d coat option (save as psd/Tiff)  edit as 16bit Tiff etc.

after overwrite alpha in Gimp  (16bit Tiff),  the brush can not use any more (lost height map) in 3d coat.

I use GImp 2.10.  it can open Tiff as 16bit but problem seems happen when edit and save (export) to re-use it in 3d coat

• Advanced Member
On 1/31/2019 at 3:21 PM, Andrew Shpagin said:

- Edge width correction for Cube mapping, own settings panel for cube mapping

:yahoo:TriplanarTuneUp.thumb.gif.6adbdb484068d358157ba064eed40844.gif

Soooooooooo wonderful addition to the already excellent painting toolset, many thank 3DCoat team ! I love you, again

Regarding the Blend, could it be possible (as well as good idea ?) to have some modes like Modulate2X, Add, Multiply, Lighten...etc ? Or add an input texture the user can pick (a grayscale map) to use it as lerp's alpha ?

Edited by Vexod14
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Vexod14 said:

:yahoo:TriplanarTuneUp.thumb.gif.6adbdb484068d358157ba064eed40844.gif

Soooooooooo wonderful addition to the already excellent painting toolset, many thank 3DCoat team ! I love you, again

Regarding the Blend, could it be possible (as well as good idea ?) to have some modes like Modulate2X, Add, Multiply, Lighten...etc ? Or add an input texture the user can pick (a grayscale map) to use it as lerp's alpha ?

Glad to hear that! But what do you mean - "Regarding the Blend, could it be possible (as well as good idea ?) to have some modes like Modulate2X, Add, Multiply, Lighten...etc ? Or add an input texture the user can pick (a grayscale map) to use it as lerp's alpha ?"
Lerp between cubemap sides? And operations to apply material on the layer? Or to blend between cubemap sides?

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I don't know how it's done but yeah, I'm talking about the blend between cubemap sides ;)

• Advanced Member

New beta is very unstable for me. Crashed 10+ times today, texturing a character. Doing simple stuff like filling objects with solid color (rectangle lasso tool), and shortly after duplicating layers mostly.

Also, using the lasso stroke modes in the UV window don't work correctly. Instead of filling the area that is actually selected, they only produce stripe-like artifacts.crash.jpg

Edited by wilson66

• Contributor
12 minutes ago, The_Mikeman said:

Lattice bug?

If that's not a feature it could be a bug with the  " Custom Primitive Lattice " --- the "Y-axis-resize-gizmo-handles" are greyed out.

It's OK in 4.7.35.....

002.thumb.png.56aed66d040e150da4ef214c3dc6ef9f.png

..... but in 4.8.33 it's not.

001.thumb.png.a860f56236736552b725eb29d4ef285e.png

That may be bad graphics. If they highlight when you mouse over, they are fine.

13 hours ago, Tony Nemo said:

That may be bad graphics. If they highlight when you mouse over, they are fine.

No graphics issues here. It's a weird bug.

Explanation:

If you initially change the X/Y/Z-cage point amounts  in the tool-options-dialog and then click on a point on the lattice the y-handles  will be greyed out.

But if you click on one specific point (it's some point  at the bottom of the model object) in the lattice,  they'll turn green.

You have to find the chosen one. :rofl:

• Advanced Member

4.8.33 I loaded up same lattice as  above and had the same Greyed out y handles but like The_Mikeman says if you keep trying other lattice points you will find one with it normal . then  On mine all  then began to work as normal  / expected . Also none of them would scale at all (xyz) but after finding the ONE that worked only then all began to work.

On 2/7/2019 at 6:51 PM, wilson66 said:

New beta is very unstable for me. Crashed 10+ times today, texturing a character. Doing simple stuff like filling objects with solid color (rectangle lasso tool), and shortly after duplicating layers mostly.

Also, using the lasso stroke modes in the UV window don't work correctly. Instead of filling the area that is actually selected, they only produce stripe-like artifacts.crash.jpg

It is fixed in version 34.

• Advanced Member

Tons of exquisite features Andrew ! Thanks A LOT =D

• Advanced Member

Just got an issue about writing the "tempfile.temp" which register if the user ticked the "don't show this warning again" on the first tooltip popup window, so each time I lock a layer I got the popup and have to perform one useless click, which can be tedious if I'm having tons of layers.
image.png.a96db997416ec06ef2718f82734658d0.png

the locked layer (baked texture) in User's folder is written fine btw ;) (but I don't understand why this can be while the tempfile can't :huh:)

By the way, it could be a good addition to allow customizing user paths (for disk space management and even better team workflow adaptation)
If I may ask, why are locked layers in "PNG" instead of a lossless TGA or PSD file ?
Another issue is about the random number added to each new lock, it leads to identical but duplicated files for the same layer, it could be good to only have a file without this random number so each time we lock a same layer it simply replace the file, and if we unlock a layer, simply delete all its stored textures so it keeps a small size on disk (maybe replacing/delete a file require advanced admin rights, if that's the reason why you've let things this way just forget about this question) 
Ow and finally, could it be possible to add a clean temp folder option somewhere ? (or add an option to automatically remove files if the texture resolution is the same again)

(Gamma correction in Pref menu is also a good addition ;))