3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

Yep Autopo gives a Crash.

Yet I must say I worked on SL for about 4 Hours now and just 0 Crashes I almost forgot that this is a Beta exe-- It felt real stable for me. just Autopo did remind me :( .... I tried all kinds of Complex stuff Back and forth //  10kk Model all running rather well!. Keep it up!

• Contributor

I have already deleted the files options configs:
(Folder 1) Documments \ coatv8

(Folder 2) otherHD \ 3dcoat (here because I used the coat_data_path.txt file)
And I've also updated the gtx 970 card drive.

Unfortunately, on my computer, I'm having a very low performance (4 fps) in 1.5 million sculptures up.
Actually, it has become very difficult to sculpt in which each brushstroke gets extremely slow and I can hear the video card "forcing".

I do not know if there would be any other solution for me to do...
The worst thing is that it seems that this problem only happened to me.

• Contributor

I think I've figured out what's going on (surface mode - performance of the brush).

Could someone please do the following test?

1- Choose Surface Sculpting / select Bust

2- In VoxTree, click on the top of the hierarchy (Bust) with the right mouse button and choose the option:
   - Merge Sub-Tree

3. After, In VoxTree, click on the small button twice (Increase resolution of the current object)
The Bust will be about 3 Million Tris approximately.

Now, choose Clay Brush without using Remove Stretching and please try to sculpt the area around the Nose and the front of the face. Test the clay brush on this bust.

What was your result?
I would like to know of you how the Brush performance was, could you report if the fps will drop to 4?

------------------ Solution:
Please, could you test it too?

After I pressed the Enter key, the 3d-coat generated another mesh with approximately 4.5 million tris.
(More polygons than before)
When I went to test the clay brush on this mesh, Brush performance on 3D-Coat returned to normal... I returned to sculpting fluently now, with no loss of performance.
image.png.9e6fa790dc57860daa5bf9572e04a469.png

Could you test this too?
And after that I hit the button (Increase resolution of the current object), the bust was 18,150,000 million tris and the performance is excellent ... sculpting normally and without loss of performance!

I did not understand why after the Merge Sub-tree it became extremely impossible to sculpt. The mesh was "heavy" for sculpting, even though it had a few million polygons.

Edited by Rygaard

• Contributor

I'm doing some tests with clay brush performance and I'd like to share with everyone what I'm discovering ...

In those tests, I noticed that depending on the type of mesh you have.
For example, I sculpted a face with live clay and dragged it onto the Models palette without decimating. This face has 1.7 million tris.

I created a new scene, I went to the Models palette, clicked on that face of 1.7Million, and I imported it for the surface mode.
First, the performance of Clay brush was normal.
So I clicked on the Increase resolution of the current object button once and the face got 6.8 million tris.
So I started to have a drop in brush performance. Not as the problem I was having with the Merge Sub-Tree, but I think the performance of the brush fell mostly in areas that should have a higher concentration of polygons.

I do not know if the Increase resolution of the current object button is causing this problem with brush performance. Of course the purpose of this button is to subdivide the mesh, but I'm suspecting that after it subdivides something is happening with the Brush performance.

I'm guessing because when I was with a mesh of 18 million polygons (through the ENTER KEY and hit the Increase resolution of the current object button) I had no loss of brush performance.
So when I was using a mesh with a structure generated from LiveClays, then I pressed the Increase resolution of the current object button and that mesh was only 6 million tris. The performance of the brush has dropped.

So, I suppose it should have some relation also with the Increase resolution of the current object button to decrease the performance of the brush in the surface mode and also in relation to the type of structure of the Mesh that you are working.

I may be mistaken, but after testing on a mesh structure generated by liveclays, enter key (voxels), bust that comes in the program, I begin to realize that there is a relation of mesh structure type, increase resolution button, and Merge Sub-Tree with brush performance.

• Applink Developer
4 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

Yes, I was having trouble with it too, both that and the Instant Meshes. If go through the whole process, then nothing appeared in the Retopo room.

Instant meshes works here. I only have problems with AUTOPO action. Freezes everytime.

1 hour ago, Rygaard said:

I think I've figured out what's going on (surface mode - performance of the brush).

Could someone please do the following test?

1- Choose Surface Sculpting / select Bust

2- In VoxTree, click on the top of the hierarchy (Bust) with the right mouse button and choose the option:
   - Merge Sub-Tree

3. After, In VoxTree, click on the small button twice (Increase resolution of the current object)
The Bust will be about 3 Million Tris approximately.

Now, choose Clay Brush without using Remove Stretching and please try to sculpt the area around the Nose and the front of the face. Test the clay brush on this bust.

I tried to follow these steps and it was working okey for me.

Edited by haikalle

• Contributor
29 minutes ago, haikalle said:

I tried to follow these steps and it was working okey for me.

There are things that only happen then with a single person.
Everything I related happened here with me. Very strange. I am very grateful that you have taken the test to tell me about it.
Honestly, I do not know what's going on.
Thank you very much!

• Applink Developer
5 minutes ago, Rygaard said:

There are things that only happen then with a single person.
Everything I related happened here with me. Very strange. I am very grateful that you have taken the test to tell me about it.
Honestly, I do not know what's going on.
Thank you very much!

Can you maybe once more time test the same scene in v38 and see that issue is not there. I did the same thing with my AUTOPO issue and all works okey in v38 so it's confirms that it's v39 issue.

Edited by haikalle

• Contributor

@haikalle I'll do the same here then... I'll see if the same things are happening related to the performance of the brush.

In this new version, when I use Autopo and Instant Mesh (auto) for me it is working ... but what is giving me problems is the performance of the brush in the surface mode.

image.thumb.png.5382e54bba570cbbd7aff6bfe402ee02.png

• Contributor

I installed the old version of .38 and I re-done all the tests I described here:
- Bust Merge Sub-Tree
- Bust Mesh (Voxels - Enter Key)
- Face Mesh made with liveclay that is in the Models palette.

My result was exactly the same as the new .38 (39) version of Clay brush performance.

Very strange because I'm currently working on a project in which parts of the character is between 4 million and 20 million. And during that project I used Remove Stretching in the Brush ... I did not have that low brush performance.
But when I did these tests with different generated meshes structures and with the increase resolution button, I had this bad performance on the brush.

I have no idea what's happening to me about lagging at the horrible performance of the brush.

I took the opportunity to test the autopo and instant mesh (auto) and it worked in the same way as the new version .38 (39).

image.thumb.png.ef4172372d49ce0b8b427745fb951f13.png

• Applink Developer

I think I found how to see my bug:

I deleted all my 3d-coat folders from document.

1. started my 3d-coat and set my serial

2. Selected the biggest default sphere and try to AUTOPO it. It dosen't work.

• Contributor
41 minutes ago, haikalle said:

But if you take the biggest sphere from starting menu then it should not work.

I just reinstalled the newer version of 3D-Coat .38 (39).
And I did the Autopo and Instant Mesh (auto) tests on the biggest sphere of the home screen and it worked correctly here as you can see in the image.

image.thumb.png.b9e5a2709259895897a08a0a5a2130f1.png

• Contributor

I just found out one thing about my brush performance problem on surface mode.
Bust test (from the initial screen):

- I subdivided twice the Bust by the Subdivide button that is in the Surface Tools in the Brushes. The operation generated me 3.5 million tris. The result is that I had no problems with brush performance.

image.png.cc5a53b1d256a5e6065d07970b27b2a6.png
* Then I subdivided Bust again by subdivide button that gave me 16.3 million tris and I still had good brush performance. The performance has dropped a bit, but this is acceptable for the amount of 16.3 million. The performance does not look good in areas of very high concentration of tris as in the nose. But the overall performance is good.

- Again, I subdivide the mesh twice by the small VoxTree button (Increase resolution of the current object). The operation also generated me 3.5 million tris. The result is that I had problems with a lot of lagging and very poor performance of the brush.

image.png.b1b85baa8e99e722aba86f5574b5025c.png

In this test I conclude that with me the type of subdivision directly influences the performance of the brush in the surface mode.

• Advanced Member
On 5/15/2019 at 8:43 AM, Rygaard said:

I installed 3d-coat using that file method: "coat_data_path.txt" that I direct to another hd on the computer. And have no problem losing my custom things (brushes and etc).

Though it may not cause any problem, but for other new users or if someone hope to know more easy way to use custom user directory,  I recommend this link pdf (and Carosan already offer link in 3d coat forum topic  too thanks)

http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/Docs/CustomDocumentsFolder.pdf

so you may only need to set enviroment  "path" , as discribed.  before I had used the "coat_data_path.txt" but, set enviroment path seems more easy and maybe we have set enviroment path , then know well how to set path (eg install python ,java etc)

• Advanced Member

Then I hope to report one problem which I now start to play new beta ^^; (3d coat 4.8.39 SL) windows 64bit (OpenGL)

Usually I do not use full window, then I often edit window size, but when I  edit window size, by just drug border of 3d coat window, it again and again open start menu,,(of course I closed it),  ,I do not know why it happen. 

drug1.thumb.JPG.c3ec102914d0d391f1c6089b3b47a66b.JPG

drug2.thumb.JPG.08f5598a2eae0ca6ba1b7f48bf3d0836.JPG

Edited by tokikake
add image for report

• Contributor
9 minutes ago, tokikake said:

so you may only need to set enviroment  "path" , as discribed.  before I had used the "coat_data_path.txt" but, set enviroment path seems more easy and maybe we have set enviroment path , then know well how to set path (eg install python ,java etc)

For a long time I've used the "coat_data_path.txt" method.

So is there any difference or advantage of the "enviroment path" method on the "coat_data_path.txt"?
Which would be the best?

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, tokikake said:

Then I hope to report one problem which I now start to play new beta ^^; (3d coat 4.8.39 SL) windows 64bit (OpenGL)

Usually I do not use full window, then I often edit window size, but when I  edit window size, by just drug border of 3d coat window, it again and again open start menu,,(of course I closed it),  ,I do not know why it happen. 

It happens in 4.8.38 too (and 4.7.xx), but only when you just start 3D-Coat and immediatelly close Start Menu with that little cross at the corner. But if you choose something from the start menu (let's say Voxel Sculpting, or Paint UV mapped mesh) it will never happen.

Edited by druh0o

• Contributor

Does anybody knows how the new Soft booleans mode in Primitive tool works? "Apply soft Booleans is checked but any of the Bevel parameters have no effects on applied operation(substract). Btw the soft Booleans button is really hidden it needs to be much more obvious,it looks like a checkbox but it's a button...and there is nothing written on it ;).  (im using latest SL beta build 4.8.39)

• Reputable Contributor
10 hours ago, Dmitriy_1978 said:

when press export button in 3dsmax model doesn;t appear in 3dcoat. It opens coat and import nothing.

That usually means there is a discrepancy between the location of the exported file and where you are telling the applink to look for those temp files. There is a list menu for the Temp directory in the applink. Make sure the chosen location is where you pointed to. Might be best to export to MY Docs/ 3DCoat 4.8 / Exchange, make sure the Temp directory in the applink panel is pointing to that folder, and it should work properly. 

• Reputable Contributor
Just now, AbnRanger said:

Usually on the first page of this thread.

....and it appears the 4.8.39 notes are incorrectly labeled 4.8.38. There are also some typos (like duplicate lines) that need to be corrected. 

On 5/14/2019 at 10:34 PM, lesaint said:

I'm sorry I just can't use 4.8.39
there is the retopo room that makes me crash, and the Space navigator that resets to default every time I start 3dc

Yeah! I was trying to figure out what was going on with my Space Pilot. I guess that's it. Although it seemed like it reset itself once while I was using 3DC. I fixed it and then had to fix it again.

• Like 1

So I just realized I'm not using the latest beta, I'm on 4.8.34. When I use the auto retopo I get a message saying a new UV set was created. But that's it, there's nothing new in the UV set list and there's no retopo mesh.

Retopo_bug.png

On 5/15/2019 at 10:50 AM, Rygaard said:

I just found out one thing about my brush performance problem on surface mode.
Bust test (from the initial screen):

- I subdivided twice the Bust by the Subdivide button that is in the Surface Tools in the Brushes. The operation generated me 3.5 million tris. The result is that I had no problems with brush performance.

image.png.cc5a53b1d256a5e6065d07970b27b2a6.png
* Then I subdivided Bust again by subdivide button that gave me 16.3 million tris and I still had good brush performance. The performance has dropped a bit, but this is acceptable for the amount of 16.3 million. The performance does not look good in areas of very high concentration of tris as in the nose. But the overall performance is good.

- Again, I subdivide the mesh twice by the small VoxTree button (Increase resolution of the current object). The operation also generated me 3.5 million tris. The result is that I had problems with a lot of lagging and very poor performance of the brush.

image.png.b1b85baa8e99e722aba86f5574b5025c.png

In this test I conclude that with me the type of subdivision directly influences the performance of the brush in the surface mode.

Thanks for investigation. Really there was problem in IncRes. After correcting sculpting speed in high resolutions grown many many times. Build comes soon.

• Thanks 1

• Contributor

Andrew can you briefly explain how Soft booleans work? None of the parameters seems to have any effect when applying operations.Im just testing using default primitives.

Also,I found source of  camera jump when using Run brush along curve,  the issue happens when user(like me) have set camera navigation to "Rotate around last draw  point" or "rotate around custom point"