3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

• Contributor

Ok,I managed to get Soft booleans working it seems it does not work with the Freeform Primitives and the one that are in the models tabs.only the other kinds.

It's very powerfull and fun to use ,is there any plan to add this to all booleans ?(model tab,curves(mesh curves) or even general booleans from voxtree objects) .

• Advanced Member
On 5/15/2019 at 7:23 AM, haikalle said:

I downloaded SL version and CUDA is working as expected on my computer.

thank you , I updated Geforce driver.  Cuda is working correctly.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, artman said:

Ok,I managed to get Soft booleans working it seems it does not work with the Freeform Primitives and the one that are in the models tabs.only the other kinds.

It's very powerfull and fun to use ,is there any plan to add this to all booleans ?(model tab,curves(mesh curves) or even general booleans from voxtree objects) .

How did you get it working?

• Contributor
5 hours ago, gbball said:

How did you get it working?

it seems to only work with a limited amount of primitives (I haven't tested all of them)

The button to access the Soft booleans parameters is the little box that looks like a checkbox and has nothing written on it.

sb.png

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, artman said:

it seems to only work with a limited amount of primitives (I haven't tested all of them)

The button to access the Soft booleans parameters is the little box that looks like a checkbox and has nothing written on it.

sb.png

Ok, thanks.  I got it working in Surface mode, but not Voxel mode.  It's pretty cool though.

• Reputable Contributor

This is offtopic, I just thought I'd dump this in here, I hope nobody minds.

Ideas for improvement :

-Make The symmetry information visible at all time in the symmetry panel if it is open. At present, when you open a saved file, the panel is blank until you go to Symmetry menu > Symmetry

-Add a Search filter for Smart materials in paint room

-In retopo room, make the "invert" button under Selected visible when the select tool is active.  At present, it is only visible when Mark Seams or Edge Loops tool is active.

• Advanced Member

is there gradient map like photoshop in paint room?

I want to use guradient map.

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, jene said:

You can "edit projections in external editor" from the edit menu. Set photoshop as your external 2d editor in preferences.

• Contributor
4 hours ago, jene said:

There is a gradient mode inside Fill tool. Linear ,Spherical and using custom points.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, artman said:

There is a gradient mode inside Fill tool. Linear ,Spherical and using custom points.

Gradient map is a different thing. It's not a spatial distribution of color. It's a "tool that allows you to map different colors to different tones"

I think it's possible to make something like this with custom Smart Material, but it will not be as convenient as in Photoshop.

Edited by druh0o

• Advanced Member
On 5/20/2019 at 8:02 PM, lesaint said:

You can "edit projections in external editor" from the edit menu. Set photoshop as your external 2d editor in preferences.

On 5/20/2019 at 9:04 PM, artman said:

thank you . I will use external 2D software so far.

• Reputable Contributor
59 minutes ago, jene said:

thank you . I will use external 2D software so far.

3DCoat has a streamlined workflow with Photoshop, so it helps to view PS as an extension, on a 2nd Monitor. Just hit CTRL + P to move layers to PS and CTRL + S in PS to save and update those changes in 3DCoat.

• Like 1

• Applink Developer
7 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

In case nobody mentioned it, the time when autopo crashes is during the Approximate Paramaterization.

That's the exactly what I get too. If you have a mesh that crashes everytime when trying autopo, it would be good to sent that file to Andrew for testing. Maybe first what you can do is that if you delete your 
Documents files does this crash still exists. 

Edited by haikalle
  • Like 1

I've also noticed that I have trouble grabbing some vertices to move them in Retopo. Using any of the tools that do that, Move, Brush, right-click+drag, I usually have the delete the polygon and rebuild it.

27.05.2019 4.8.40
- Essential improvement of the models array in curves/splines. Now models will be placed very uniformly along the spline. Full specification is there.

- Snapping for curves imporoved a lot - SHIFT snapping, distance snapping, vertical/horizontal alignment snapping.

- More safe zipping of 3B files. Now 3B file will be saved as is, without zipping. Then zipping thread starts. As soon as it will be finished, original file will be replaced with zipped one (rename, not copy). If crash will happen, unzipped version will remain.

- IncRes subdivides mesh correctly, so that sculpting remains very fast after the operation. Generally, use Geometry->Cleanup memory if something start to lag during the sculpting process.

- Soft booleans for free form primitives as well.

- Soft booleans for volumes (in RMB menu)

- Possibility to relocate 3D-Coat's data folder in Edit menu.

• Like 5

• Contributor

I just installed the .40 SL version and it is described at the top which is the .38 SL version.
image.png.60364e2dddc13c4859a2a84131ef6d70.png

I would like to know if it was an accident the version error or if that version is the .38 instead of the .40?

From my curiosity, I tried to find the possibility to relocate 3d-coat's data folder in the Edit Menu, but I did not find it. I searched the preferences, but I did not find it either.

Is this version that I installed really the .40 (SL) version?

I installed the right version, but I accessed an old version!
A thousand apologies...
It was my mistake ... Sorry!
thank you

thank you

Edited by Rygaard
my mistake

• Contributor

I always install a new 3d-coat installation in the same folder so I do not have problems with multiple installations in different folders. So I realized that the name of the new .EXE installation is different from what I was using.
You keep an eye on that. ;) 

image.png.07baec67d2816116c2056d900d4320ee.png

• Contributor

I'm having this:

2019-05-27_1418.png.8fd822bb2f262615c8201fe4cc407826.png

This from the 2nd download from different source.------------------------------------------------------------
 OpenGL | Version: 1.1.0
 OpenGL | Vendor: Microsoft Corporation
 OpenGL | Renderer: GDI Generic
 OpenGL | Supported features:
 OpenGL | Texture Compression: -/-/-/-
 OpenGL | Unsupported features:
 OpenGL | Pixel format
 OpenGL | Multisample
 OpenGL | Multitexture
 OpenGL | Vertex Array Object
 OpenGL | Vertex Buffer Object
 OpenGL | Vertex Attributes
 OpenGL | OpenGL Shading Language
 OpenGL | Frame Buffer Object
 OpenGL | Extensions (3) : GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Tony Nemo
more info

• Advanced Member

Many thanks for the built in 3D Coat data folder location option. Had been using a symbolic link for several years and it worked fine but nice to have an official setting now. It definitely takes a long time if you have a lot of Smart Materials and Alpha brushes so its best to do this transfer when you can be away from the pc for awhile.

7 hours ago, Tony Nemo said:

I'm having this:

2019-05-27_1418.png.8fd822bb2f262615c8201fe4cc407826.png

This from the 2nd download from different source.------------------------------------------------------------
 OpenGL | Version: 1.1.0
 OpenGL | Vendor: Microsoft Corporation
 OpenGL | Renderer: GDI Generic
 OpenGL | Supported features:
 OpenGL | Texture Compression: -/-/-/-
 OpenGL | Unsupported features:
 OpenGL | Pixel format
 OpenGL | Multisample
 OpenGL | Multitexture
 OpenGL | Vertex Array Object
 OpenGL | Vertex Buffer Object
 OpenGL | Vertex Attributes
 OpenGL | OpenGL Shading Language
 OpenGL | Frame Buffer Object
 OpenGL | Extensions (3) : GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
------------------------------------------------------------

Try to reboot PC and reinstall.

• Contributor

Andrew, there seeem to be extremely messy results when using soft booleans (and maybe booleans in general,I haven't tested) when user is not working on Layer 0.

By messy I mean holes and heavy artifacting,remaining chunks of mesh ect... I don't think its necessary for Soft booleans to be compatible with sculpt layers but if it can generate problems when working on anything but layer 0 then it should work on Layer 0 by default. Im using latest SL build.