3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

On 5/28/2019 at 5:53 AM, Rygaard said:

I always install a new 3d-coat installation in the same folder so I do not have problems with multiple installations in different folders. So I realized that the name of the new .EXE installation is different from what I was using.
You keep an eye on that.;) 

image.png.07baec67d2816116c2056d900d4320ee.png

Because of this, there is a problem with the automatic connection of the applink.

Edited by superman punch

Hi All,

I can no longer get 3DCoat to work at all...I've tried fresh installs, restarting, redownloading, removing old 3dcoat files...everything.

all I get is this with 4.8.40 in both DX and GL versions.. Win7 64bit Ultimate

3DCoat4-8-40.jpg.f6bea666755f342595ab3ebb866094e0.jpg

Edited by fingers
comp specs omitted

• Advanced Member
On 6/3/2019 at 3:53 PM, superman punch said:

"3d-Coat-V4_8-40-64.exe / 3d-Coat-V4_8-40-64_sl.exe"설치  0xc000007b 오류가 발생했습니다.
실용적이지 않습니다.
그래서 저는 현재 38 버전을 사용.

maybe,   0xc000007b  error happen when 64bit DLL and 32bit DLL are mixed,

if you have installed 32bit version , why don't  you try to delete old version .

만약 64bit version와 32bit vestion가 섞여있는 경우, 그 오류가 발생할 것 같습니다

• Advanced Member

Retopo is not stable in GL version.  I have a file that fail to retopo with instant mesh in GL version.  I am able to retopo in DX version and save the file.  Once I open the file in GL version, switch to Retopo room, the file crashes.

The same thing happens if I open the file in GL version 4.38.39.  Wonder if that's the problem of my file.

I am on win 10, Geforce RTX 2060

Capture3.JPG

Edited by animk

• Reputable Contributor
On 5/22/2019 at 5:22 PM, philnolan3d said:

In case nobody mentioned it, the time when autopo crashes is during the Approximate Paramaterization.

autopo_crash.png

This is still a MAJOR problem, making Auto Retopo unusable right now. I just tried to use it on a rather simple shaped object and 3DCoat is hanging during this same stage. Something is definitely broken (4.8.40SL)

any updates on getting Linux version up to speed? Would love to try those improvements - especially with booleans. Also I think that ability to set up data folders via menu entry is nice touch  - save a bit of hassle in form of settings up env variables.

• Reputable Contributor

3DC version 4.8.40 SL, opengl.

The new beta curves are still having the staircase effect when using the cut off tool. I would imagine in other tools as well but have not tested

You can not use the current beta curves for hard surface clean cuts. Please look at when there is development time in the curves schedule.

The old curves cut smoothly. 

Example shown in  the picture. Left side, smooth cut, right side, staircase (new beta curves)

A few other users have reported the same staircase effect using the new beta curves.

smoothstaircase.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 12:10 AM, thinkinmonkey said:

Sorry, guys, what are those soft booleans? Thank you

In sculpt room, build a sphere primitive.  Then make sure it's in surface mode.  Build a box primitive on same layer, under tool options set mode to add, sub, intersect etc. and a gray box next to it should be there.  Click on gray box and apply soft boolean option which allows the intersection edge to be filleted, chamfered when apply button is pressed.

• Contributor

v4.8.40 SL 

Soft Booleans from voxtree rmb menu only works if user do booleans using the picker. 

It does not work using the booleans shortcut while draging volume  layers (ctrl,shift ect..)

and it does not work when selecting the volume in the list.Actually I thought it didn't work at all until I tried the picker.

Btw its really,really cool...especially when combined with the VoxLayer tool and curves. Great addition.

softbool.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There was relatively long pause between updates. I was in vacation (in Rome with family). Even in vacation I was working, just a bit less than usual. I developed new good and fast routine to fill arbitrary contour with quads. This is very important step, it allows to refine existing and make new very good retopology and meshing tools. Gradually it will be used more and more within 3D-Coat. I also updated quadrangulation algorithm. No huge changes there actually. Cutoff was completely re-done to improve quality of cuts. All this was a huge piece of job, so took some time.

- CutOff in surface mode completely redone. Now the shape of cut is very uniform and accurate. Depth and back plane limitations produce accurate sharp cut. Soft booleans supported. This is how it looks - 

image.png
 - Better quality of the edge for curves filled inside with the polygons patch (in Coat tool).

- Much more stable and powerful Geometry->Close holes

- More stable autoretopology.

- Set of pose selection issues fixed.

- Text updater polished/ Press F2 to correct any text in 3D-Coat.

- Moving smart materials to other folder takes less space in RMB menu, it is consolidated into the single line wit submenu.

- Generally I developed new quadrangulation routine for arbitrary closed contours. Now it is used in RFill tool, later it will be used for wide variety of tools. 

• Like 9

• Advanced Member
On 6/20/2019 at 11:07 AM, artman said:

v4.8.40 SL 

Soft Booleans from voxtree rmb menu only works if user do booleans using the picker. 

It does not work using the booleans shortcut while draging volume  layers (ctrl,shift ect..)

and it does not work when selecting the volume in the list.Actually I thought it didn't work at all until I tried the picker.

Btw its really,really cool...especially when combined with the VoxLayer tool and curves. Great addition.

softbool.jpg

I don't get how soft booleans work. When I click on the soft boolean settings (primitives menu or right-click menu in the VoxTree) I get a single checkbox that says 'Apply soft booleans', activating it does nothing I can see. When I apply the booleans (e.g. subtract), it subtracts the object as it always did, no bevels in place.

How do I apply the booleans with that bevel in place, where do I adjust the bevel distance?

EDIT:

works now after restarting 3D Coat and creating a new scene. Strange. But great feature!

Edited by wilson66
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Updated links to build - to 4.8.42 because of symmetry and booleans (critical) issue

Thanks for the update, Andrew. Next critical issues are:

1) 3DCoat not loading texture maps on Import (I sent you a video showing this problem)

2) Super slow loading times on import, and even on .3b file loading, if the model is semi complex (many of them will be, as characters always tend to have multiple secondary objects, like eyes, teeth, tongue, hair, hats, clothes, shoes, gloves, belts, buckles, etc). I tested the Viking Model, imported as OBJ and dozens of image maps. Blender loaded it in 10-20 seconds. 3DCoat 2:30 MINUTES and it failed to import the textures! Blender had the maps all hooked up and ready to preview in EVEE/Cycles.

3) Slow brush performance of PPP (Microvertex is noticeably better, but both still exhibit strong levels of brush lag when using large brushes and especially 4k maps). This has actually been a longstanding problem, but needs to get fixed, so people aren't needlessly spending money on hardware upgrades, assuming it will help, when it won't. 

• Reputable Contributor
On 7/12/2019 at 2:23 PM, wilson66 said:

EDIT:

works now after restarting 3D Coat and creating a new scene. Strange. But great feature! 

Up until today I could not use a version more recent than 4.8.38 because 3dc would crash if I loaded anything in the retopo room.
After seeing wilson66's message, I tried creating a new scene in 4.8.42SL and retopo room works now without crashing.

Does this mean I must abandon all my previous work if I want to work with the latest versions ?
Is there a way to convert an old scene ?

---
EDIT :
I can't even switch between the two versions because it confuses my 3d mouse driver :( It loses all settings for 3d-Coat when switching from one build to the other.

Edited by lesaint

• Reputable Contributor
6 hours ago, lesaint said:

Up until today I could not use a version more recent than 4.8.38 because 3dc would crash if I loaded anything in the retopo room.
After seeing wilson66's message, I tried creating a new scene in 4.8.42SL and retopo room works now without crashing.

Does this mean I must abandon all my previous work if I want to work with the latest versions ?
Is there a way to convert an old scene ?

---
EDIT :
I can't even switch between the two versions because it confuses my 3d mouse driver :( It loses all settings for 3d-Coat when switching from one build to the other.

I have the same problem. It's because Andrew changed the name of the .exe file, slightly. I have to change it back each time, to avoid having my 3dconnexion setting disappear.

• Reputable Contributor
14 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

I have the same problem. It's because Andrew changed the name of the .exe file, slightly. I have to change it back each time, to avoid having my 3dconnexion setting disappear.

Oh wow, yes ! Now I can switch between the two and it is an acceptable workaround. Thank you.

The problem remains that 4.8-39 to 4.8.42 won't work with my old .3b files, it crashes when I enter the retopo room if there is a mesh in it, or if I try to import a mesh via the sculpt room or via import.
It only works with new scenes created after 4.8.38
image.png.6dfa4f6a6b139d4bd9827255a87dc418.png

• Reputable Contributor
7 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Then duplicate settings of 3dconnexion, may be it has that option

You cannot duplicate settings in the 3DConnexion. Just save the current one and reload it later. It's stored per file name. When a software vendor changes the name of the file, 3dconnexion sees it as an entirely different application. It's going to require a person to have go back through and setup each button or multiple buttons in a radial menu. It would take me a full hour or more to do that on my device, because it has so many different functions. 

• Reputable Contributor

It is a bit different here I think, I would have had to do it not only once per install, but once each time I launch a different build. (i.e. switching back and forth between 4.8.38 and 4.8.42)

Anyway, still crashing at performing autopo in a new scene in 4.8.42
image.thumb.png.23f6c71bc3a12114b9f7fa02b5d4d8d4.png

4.8.42SL did it without problems, with the same settings.

Takes long time, but result was ok without any crash.

Are you installing a fresh install or overwriting old versions ?

Are graphic drivers up to date ?

Could you test you file opening it on another comp ?

//edit

My test was done using DX version.