3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

• Contributor
21 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

If there is any way to repeat the problem, Andrew can fix it. I've had some similar issues with opening older files, and finding that when I uncache a layer, the volume is missing. I reported this to Andrew, but he didn't know how it could happen. It's not a frequent problem, but one does need to use Auto-save, for sure, and when I have an object I want to make sure is preserved, I will either RMB click the VoxTree layer > Save as .3b file or drag and drop the layer into the MODELS pallet.

This problem with Cache Layer, I also had it and I talked to Andrew.
I had lost important geometry and at the time I had not enabled for some reason the auto-save option.
After I spoke with him, Andrew put a warning to everyone that there was a possibility of issues related to leaving a file cached.

In all my works I use 3D-Coat, I have the auto-save option active and I make all possible backups. Just to make sure I'm never going to lose anything of my work again.

You're right. In all my projects I do the following:
- Auto-save (always)
- Save geometries in Pallete Models
- Save Hierarchies Different Geometries in Extension .3b
- Save the project in different files 001, 002, ... etc (however there is the possibility of losing geometry)
- Never save the file with Cached geometries. (Great possibility of corrupting the file or loss of geometry). This problem has happened to me several times.
- Try to convert Voxels to Surface (when possible).

This problem of geometry loss is complicated to repeat so Andrew can see.
What I can say is that if you have a hierarchy in Voxels or geometries in Voxels when you open the file again you have the possibility of the hierarchy being maintained and the geometries deleted.

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Rygaard said:

This problem with Cache Layer, I also had it and I talked to Andrew.
I had lost important geometry and at the time I had not enabled for some reason the auto-save option.
After I spoke with him, Andrew put a warning to everyone that there was a possibility of issues related to leaving a file cached.

In all my works I use 3D-Coat, I have the auto-save option active and I make all possible backups. Just to make sure I'm never going to lose anything of my work again.

You're right. In all my projects I do the following:
- Auto-save (always)
- Save geometries in Pallete Models
- Save Hierarchies Different Geometries in Extension .3b
- Save the project in different files 001, 002, ... etc (however there is the possibility of losing geometry)
- Never save the file with Cached geometries. (Great possibility of corrupting the file or loss of geometry). This problem has happened to me several times.
- Try to convert Voxels to Surface (when possible).

This problem of geometry loss is complicated to repeat so Andrew can see.
What I can say is that if you have a hierarchy in Voxels or geometries in Voxels when you open the file again you have the possibility of the hierarchy being maintained and the geometries deleted.

That's last part, I've never had happen to me, not that I can remember. Hopefully, he can get to the bottom of it.

• Contributor
53 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

That's last part, I've never had happen to me, not that I can remember. Hopefully, he can get to the bottom of it. 

I hope so too. It's a strange bug that you have your geometry erased without you noticing. It already happened to me and I thought I had just put the geometry invisible and when I went to see the layer on VoxTree was visible with zero polygons (erased geometry).

Now everytime I import something into the Retopo room, All the edges will come as sharp edges.
You guys know if there is a solution to fix that, or at least a way of importing something "smoothed"? Its quite a pain to have to "unsharp" every edge everytime I import something to the retopo room!

Edited by Cless_Aurion

• Advanced Member

Another bug - Curve strokes(E panel) in 4.8.44 doesn't work both Voxel and Surface.

p.s.

I don't want to be rude, but damn... since version 4.8.37, 3DCoat becomes buggier and buggier.

Edited by Mihu83
  • Like 1

Mihu, I guess that's to be expected - it seems we're getting quite a bit of new features and features rewrite / optimizations (which probably is one of the reasons Linux builds got suspended) and that's BETA thread after all ;) .

But totally agree that at one point I'd love to see bug fixes and workflow improvements.

• Reputable Contributor
14 hours ago, Mihu83 said:

Another bug - Curve strokes(E panel) in 4.8.44 doesn't work both Voxel and Surface.

p.s.

I don't want to be rude, but damn... since version 4.8.37, 3DCoat becomes buggier and buggier.

Confirmed, here. That's true, but remember, these are BETA builds. I've never seen Beta builds for any application to be without plenty of bugs. There are periods where Andrew will stop and just bug fix, then announce a stable build. These past few aren't there yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Contributor
On 7/19/2019 at 7:14 PM, SERGYI said:

Recently I am working on problems with "3DCoat" under macOS. But under Linux Ubuntu 19.04 I have built our standalone standard pen pressure test http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/TEST STROKE/TEST STROKE.tar.xz (run from Terminal) and have started to investigate "3Dconnexion" support using http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/

Hey, thanks for the info @SERGYI. I was on vacation for almost a month, away from technology, reloading my batteries a bit. That's why I'm replying with such a long delay.

It's great to hear that something is happening, though I pity that I don't have a 3DConnexion device to test things up.  It would be fantastic if you could drop us, GNU/Linux users, an info from time to time about the progress, no matter if it's significant or not. You can bet that we would appreciate it. Cheers. :drinks:

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd check out the new curves tool but I'm using beta for the SL. on YT liek this one.

In the videos on 4.9 release, it shows that after you've enabled the curves from prefs then create them, right click on one of them; you should get a menu to perform a sweep etc. but I don't have that in -SL.

Before right click then menu shown in -SL after right click.

Searched around GUI but I'm not able to make a simple sweep etc.  Cheers.

4.8.24-SL Curves Tool Before Right Click.JPG

4.8.24-SL Curves Tool Right Click Menu.JPG

Edited by co3Darts

• Advanced Member
11 hours ago, co3Darts said:

Thought I'd check out the new curves tool but I'm using beta for the SL. on YT liek this one.

try this and see if it works for your SL version.

- enable it via edit>>preferences.

- restart the 3d coat program.

Edited by pickers