3D Coat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

Hi! I'm a reocurring forum user. I bought 3DC when it was in 3.5, now I'm making a big push to get back into this mind blowing software, as my career went in different directions where this wasn't my main modeling package...bla-bla.

So as expected I'm searching for a few answers, I hope this is the right place to ask them, Andrew steered me in this drection, so I hope I'm cool.

Q: is there a way to rotate things in two axis at the same time. For example like when I press "r" twice in blender I have an arbitrary rotation. I found that translating on a certain plane XY,XZ,YZ has been added recently, so am I missing something with the rotations.

Thanks in advance.

cheers.

Edited by bantu
grammar

Hi,

I've been away from 3D-Coat for a while because of a move to a different computer. I'd like to reinstall 3D-Coat now on the other machine (I've deactivated my license on the previous machine), but I'd like to know: can I install the latest beta download right away and activate my license, or do I need to install the official 3D-Coat 4.8 release first?

Thanks,

Metin

Edited by Metin Seven

You can install the latest beta download right away and activate your license.

• Like 1

I found the EXTRUDE brush in Voxel mode, is broken in build 4.8.10. It works in 4.8.08, just not 4.8.10. Can anyone else test and see if you can confirm this? Andrew said he sees nothing wrong on his end, but I've done everything I can think of. Deleted all the Options.xml config files > re-installed 4.8.10, and nothing changes. The other brushes work, but EXTRUDE is totally broken.

16 minutes ago, lesaint said:

also it depends on the brush. lasso type works

Try it on the Human preset or the bust. It doesn't work with a brush, at all. It will with the lasso, but not a brush draw mode.

If I try the Voxel EXTRUDE brush on a default sphere, it works....unless as you said, you change the resolution. But the default human figure or bust, it doesn't work with a brush mode, at all.

5 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

If I try the Voxel EXTRUDE brush on a default sphere, it works....unless as you said, you change the resolution. But the default human figure or bust, it doesn't work with a brush mode, at all.

also doesn't work for me exactly as you describe...

• Thanks 1

@Oleg_Shapo  Hi Oleg, there is a major problem with importing an extension in the 2+ GB range of smart material libraries at least.  My materials are mostly 8k textures in jpg format and one in tif as a depth map for each. So for example my backup I want to restore is made of 11 materials and as soon as I try to import the extension 3DCoat tells me to restart to apply changes (within 3 seconds) and no files have been installed.

One last thing, when I press on add new layer or delete etc nothing happens in the layer window icons , I usually have to go to the top menu find layers and add or delete from there.

Edited by Ascensi

9 hours ago, Ascensi said:

@Oleg_Shapo  Hi Oleg, there is a major problem with importing an extension in the 2+ GB range of smart material libraries at least.  My materials are mostly 8k textures in jpg format and one in tif as a depth map for each. So for example my backup I want to restore is made of 11 materials and as soon as I try to import the extension 3DCoat tells me to restart to apply changes (within 3 seconds) and no files have been installed.

One last thing, when I press on add new layer or delete etc nothing happens in the layer window icons , I usually have to go to the top menu find layers and add or delete from there.

Hello! Please send an archive with materials 8k to support@3dcoat.com. We will check and try to fix the problem.
On the second question. In which room is this happening?

When you move vertices around with the Add/Split tool, 3d-coat does not seem to "recalculate normals" like it does with the Brush tool. Surely, that is an oversight ?

I am not sure about the terminology to use, sorry if I am saying something completely stupid.

Edited by lesaint

We have currently the ability to freeze by painted pixels. Our workflow would be faster if we could also select to freeze by color selection. Choose a color and freeze that color. 

This would increase the power of the freeze tool and be very helpful. 

If possible have a delete feature as well as an option like when you press the delete key on the keyboard and all 3 channels are deleted for that selected layer. 

The feature would freeze by color choice and if the workflow require deleting all the current channels information in the frozen area but not remove the freeze. 

I would be happy for now with just freeze by color and if delete could be added then that is icing on the cake. 

Thank you for are your consideration and when it would fit into the development schedule.

Edited by digman

1 hour ago, digman said:

We have currently the ability to freeze by painted pixels. Our workflow would be faster if we could also select to freeze by color selection. Choose a color and freeze that color. 

This would increase the power of the freeze tool and be very helpful. 

If possible have a delete feature as well as an option like when you press the delete key on the keyboard and all 3 channels are deleted for that selected layer. 

The feature would freeze by color choice and if the workflow require deleting all the current channels information in the frozen area but not remove the freeze. 

I would be happy for now with just freeze by color and if delete could be added then that is icing on the cake. 

Thank you for are your consideration and when it would fit into the development schedule.

Doesn't the Magic Wand actually do this?

Yes it does but I would still like by specific color and not tolerance only... 

Edited by digman

2 hours ago, digman said:

Yes it does but I would still like by specific color and not tolerance only... 

You can turn color tolerance off in the Tool Option Panel.

Yes you can turn it off but then the entire model is filled freeze.

If you turn color tolerance on and you set it to "0" nothing happens. 1.000 is default. Any setting less than "1.0" gives a overall slight freeze. 

Then you are back to adjusting the tolerance setting trying to find that sweet spot and still you are left with areas that you have to hold down shift and left button to select. If you have lots of small areas to select, this is time consuming. When you want only one color to be selected and no surrounding pixels, this just is not fine enough control.

If you go to far with the tolerance then you start selecting colors you do not want to select. Higher numbers mean more adjacent pixels of a different color will be selected and you get more continuous coverage.

If you choose 1.0, yes it almost selects one color but it is not continuous, so you have a lot of shift-left mouse button selecting. Sure at times you only want the close areas to be selected, The magic wand tool is great for this. At other times you just want that one color all over the model to be selected. Then you are  back to the problem of finding a color tolerance that will work, too time consuming and not accurate enough.

To freeze by color selection, once you selected the color, all those "specific pixels" on the entire model are frozen. Very fast and very accurate, just like freezing painted pixels but with finer control.

My request stands but as normal it depends upon the development schedule. I do not ask Andrew to drop what he is doing to add a request or think about adding one,  I"ve only have once in 10 years asked Andrew to fix something, if he could ASAP because of a work related issue.

Edited by digman

7 hours ago, digman said:

Yes you can turn it off but then the entire model is filled freeze.

If you turn color tolerance on and you set it to "0" nothing happens. 1.000 is default. Any setting less than "1.0" gives a overall slight freeze. 

Then you are back to adjusting the tolerance setting trying to find that sweet spot and still you are left with areas that you have to hold down shift and left button to select. If you have lots of small areas to select, this is time consuming. When you want only one color to be selected and no surrounding pixels, this just is not fine enough control.

If you go to far with the tolerance then you start selecting colors you do not want to select. Higher numbers mean more adjacent pixels of a different color will be selected and you get more continuous coverage.

If you choose 1.0, yes it almost selects one color but it is not continuous, so you have a lot of shift-left mouse button selecting. Sure at times you only want the close areas to be selected, The magic wand tool is great for this. At other times you just want that one color all over the model to be selected. Then you are  back to the problem of finding a color tolerance that will work, too time consuming and not accurate enough.

To freeze by color selection, once you selected the color, all those "specific pixels" on the entire model are frozen. Very fast and very accurate, just like freezing painted pixels but with finer control.

My request stands but as normal it depends upon the development schedule. I do not ask Andrew to drop what he is doing to add a request or think about adding one,  I"ve only have once in 10 years asked Andrew to fix something, if he could ASAP because of a work related issue.

Ok. I see what you are saying. Magic wand always seemed to work fairly well when I used, it, but I guess I could see the benefit in what you are asking for. With the Magic wand, I was thinking w/ Color Tolerance unchecked, it would only pick the exact color value selected, rather than all pixels. At any rate, it still needs a checkbox for "Contiguous"...which is something I asked Andrew about, before. I think that is similar to what you are asking. With it unchecked, it would select that color across the whole layer. It would also need an option to select color across all layers.

After further thought and testing, I don't think we can just tell 3D Coat "pick and freeze" this color without having to use Color Tolerance in most cases. Why? Because when you paint different colors on the same layer, it gets blended with all other pixels around it, along the boundary of a stroke. Falloff, Opacity, Brush Alphas, and  Border Width, all have a part in determining how much blending of pixels there are. So, there will usually be some bleeding of that color left, even at a CT of 32.

Where I think your request would be most helpful is if you are trying to select it across different layers, objects and UV maps.

I once asked to be able to blend several layers at once... I think it was you AbnRanger who replied that "this doesn't exist in photoshop", then I was blocked from that section of the forums, thus could not reply, and shortly after locked out of Mantis. I didn't post here again for two years after that.

10 minutes ago, lesaint said:

I once asked to be able to blend several layers at once... I think it was you AbnRanger who replied that "this doesn't exist in photoshop", then I was blocked from that section of the forums, thus could not reply, and shortly after locked out of Mantis. I didn't post here again for two years after that.

I'm not sure I follow your point? I'm not a forum administrator, so I couldn't/can't block you, if that is what you are implying. Furthermore, how is blending layers relevant to what me and Digman are discussing? If you are referring to multi-layer selection, somehow, many of us have asked Andrew for it a number of times over the past 5+yrs, and he hasn't responded. Must be a major undertaking or something.