3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, haikalle said:

Undo works here just fine.

I agree all points you make and I hope Andrew has time to read this too. I have also wondered why 3d-coat leave layers when you start new project. It seams to be a bug.

Yeah undo function is not working for me in 29. I am on a windows 10 pc with the latest update 1809. I've restarted the pc and reopened the program but it still does not work.

To repro for me:

1) Open 3D-Coat 4.8.29 DX64

2) Choose per pixel painting and choose the default sphere

3) In the paint room paint on the sphere (color/normal map detail etc)

4) Attempt to undo the paint applied

Results: Undo function does not work, user unable to undo changes.

• Advanced Member
26 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Try deleting options.xml on ...\user\Documents\3D-CoatV48

Hope it help

I deleted the options.xml and undo function does still not work for me. I confirmed it did create a new xml file as well.

EDIT: Selecting undo in the menu does not do anything no matter how many times I press it. However if I press ctrl+Z hotkey a second time it then undos correctly. Not sure why I need to press ctrl+Z 2 times in a row each time I want to undo something though.

Edited by Mystical

• Applink Developer
4 hours ago, Mystical said:

Yeah undo function is not working for me in 29. I am on a windows 10 pc with the latest update 1809. I've restarted the pc and reopened the program but it still does not work.

To repro for me:

1) Open 3D-Coat 4.8.29 DX64

2) Choose per pixel painting and choose the default sphere

3) In the paint room paint on the sphere (color/normal map detail etc)

4) Attempt to undo the paint applied

Results: Undo function does not work, user unable to undo changes.

Bug confirmed. 

• Like 1

All bugs confirmed and reported, but let me clarify something.

Dev team is working over unified brush engine, so not much changes there, mostly urgent stability/usability needs.

This means that they will not be doing patches of every bug reported, only the urgent ones will be solved.

Unify the brush engine will probably modify the base code adding new bugs that will add to the previous ones.

After the integration it will surely be necessary a stage of testing and cleaning the code to achieve a stable version.

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

I'm curious aswell, especially if it's about the Paint room =)

Andrew Shpagin said:

Hi! I want to replace all brushes with one unified brush that may be customized to any other brush. At first, it is related to surface mode sculpt, but very probably I will apply that principles to paint room as well.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

So it seems, PaintStorm style of 3Dcoat? 

I am interesting, but at same time, I can not suppose how it work at current,,And I have no complain about current varieties of 3d coat brush.  :)

Maybe texture , alpha, , and some stroke modes (mix of pressure, and dot)   can be set in "Brush Options" panel as  one unified brush options?

• Contributor
4 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Hi! I want to replace all brushes with one unified brush that may be customized to any other brush. At first, it is related to surface mode sculpt, but very probably I will apply that principles to paint room as well.

I was very confused by this unified brush...

After a long time doing several tests, I was able to understand a little better about the properties that influence the behavior of the brush so that I could create my own brushes inside the 3D-Coat.
When I began to sculpt 3D-Coat, by default, the 3D-Coat brushes did not have the behavior I would expect and I would like the brushes to behave on the surface of the mesh.
 I confess that I was very disappointed and frustrated in 3D-Coat since I came from ZBrush and I could not sculpt the same way I did in ZBrush in 3D-Coat.
Being very sincere, it was a huge difference to sculpt and perform detailing on ZBrush.
Currently, there is still a difference between 3D-Coat and ZBrush and to be honest that difference has greatly diminished.

Could you tell me exactly what this unified system of brushes would look like? I was a bit worried about my brushes (Presets) ...

I quickly saw what PaintStorm and Krita can do in the system of brushes. If it's something like that, I think it's a good thing to have full control of the brushes. But the question is whether we will have more features and new properties to control the brushes and Alphas or if it will remain the same properties and functions we already have in 3D-Coat?

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Rygaard said:

Could you tell me exactly what this unified system of brushes would look like? I was a bit worried about my brushes (Presets) ...

I quickly saw what PaintStorm and Krita can do in the system of brushes. If it's something like that, I think it's a good thing to have full control of the brushes. But the question is whether we will have more features and new properties to control the brushes and Alphas or if it will remain the same properties and functions we already have in 3D-Coat?

Would this unified brush system replace all the custom alpha brushes I've made for the paint room essentially? Like I have things like bolts, panels, and other normal map details I use on a regular basis to paint normal map detail on an object.

• Applink Developer

I feel excited about this new "unified brush" even when I don't excatly know what it's going to be :D But I do have couple thoughts about current brush engine in overall and 
and I hope that this new feature bring some imroments to this area.

Here is a screenshot about 6 different strokes I have done and they have been done with the different brushes.  It looks thou that they have been done with the same brush, 
only brush fallout changed. My feelings about 3d-coat brushes have been that maybe we have too much default brushes in our hand. I counted that in surface mode (including live clay)
we have 43 different brushes to choose. Taking mudbox for example, with live clay tools they have only 23 tools and for me that's give much cleaner image about UI. Mudbox only gives
a basic fundamental tools for user but also gives a possibility to modify them and change settings in many ways. I like this approuch. Give us only the fundamental tool and then we can 

use our creative minds to change the brush settings for our needs. 

brushes.png

• Advanced Member

What kind of nonsense about the "unified brush"? Stop doing *******, start fixing bugs. 

we have 43 different brushes to choose. Taking mudbox for example, with live clay tools they have only 23 tools and for me that's give much cleaner image about UI. Mudbox only gives

I already wrote about this, but no reaction was received. The "Curves" tool generally needs to be removed, because it is absolutely inconvenient to use, but the "beta" tools - the pipe - is very convenient and useful in 99% of cases.

In my opinion, what really needs to be added is a kind of dynamic topology, so that when an object is transformed or a mesh is pulled out, a normal grid is obtained at the stretched places, and not trash from the stretched polygons.

Снимок.PNG

• Applink Developer
9 minutes ago, Sorda said:

What kind of nonsense about the "unified brush"? Stop doing garbage, start fixing bugs. 

I already wrote about this, but no reaction was received. The "Curves" tool generally needs to be removed, because it is absolutely inconvenient to use, but the "beta" tools - the pipe - is very convenient and useful in 99% of cases.

In my opinion, what really needs to be added is a kind of dynamic topology, so that when an object is transformed or a mesh is pulled out, a normal grid is obtained at the stretched places, and not trash from the stretched polygons.

Sorry. I must missed your topic about "too many default brushes". Have you tried "Remove Stretching" and see if that helps? 

• Advanced Member
35 minutes ago, haikalle said:

Sorry. I must missed your topic about "too many default brushes". Have you tried "Remove Stretching" and see if that helps? 

Sorry cant find it, can u please shot it? 

p.s. "clean surface" makes the result quite good.

Снимок.PNG

No, it is "like good" but kill hard edges...(((

Edited by Dmitry Bedrik

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Sorda said:

Cant understand. 

REMOVE STRETCHING is a checkbox in the Toolbar (above the viewport) and works with most sculpting brushes in Surface mode. If that isn't enough, as Carlos said, hitting ENTER (in Surface mode) is the equivalent to using Dynamesh in ZBrush. 3DCoat had it way before ZB ever had it, but I digress. :)

• Advanced Member
56 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

REMOVE STRETCHING is a checkbox in the Toolbar (above the viewport) and works with most sculpting brushes in Surface mode. If that isn't enough, as Carlos said, hitting ENTER (in Surface mode) is the equivalent to using Dynamesh in ZBrush. 3DCoat had it way before ZB ever had it, but I digress. :)

Please show "before" and "after". Nothing happens when I press this key. In this case, I did not reconfigure anything.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Hope this help.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Ok, it is work (but not working previously try...). 

Strange, but it does not work for the Pose tool. That is, the restructuring of the grid works for the "Shift", but if you move a part of the mesh in the "Pose", no. (Obviously, however, that you can simply use "Move" again and again press the enter). This moment seemed strange to me. Bug or not, I don't know. I hope a dynamic grid for such things will be added at least next year.

8 hours ago, Sorda said:

What kind of nonsense about the "unified brush"? Stop doing garbage, start fixing bugs. 

Please be more kind. I used to critics, but word "garbage" toward my job is offensive.

But what I do is generally aimed to solve existing problems of brushes - "too many", "too slow in LC mode", "can't be well tuned", "not perfect shape", "bumpy on high resolution" and many more.

And, I don't see report about problem you mentioned earlier on my e-mail.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

6 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Please be more kind. I used to critics, but word "garbage" toward my job is offensive.

But what I do is generally aimed to solve existing problems of brushes - "too many", "too slow in LC mode", "can't be well tuned" and many more.

And, I don't see report about problem you mentioned earlier on my e-mail.

I hope it does not work out one to five brushes with a bunch of settings that will duplicate 10 brushes of the “old version”. I hope, the idea will shoot and will be suitable.

I corrected a message that I sent almost a year ago, and which was not read, in accordance with current realities. Please wait for an hour.