3D Coat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

On 11/28/2018 at 6:36 PM, Mystical said:

I've been dying for some new UI improvements. Simple things like being able to label layers via a color would be really nice. Other small things like not having true multi monitor support and being able to undock panels outside of the main window.

I was just thinking about this, I am doing a job at the moment with loads of sculpt layers ( in the sculpt tab not the new "sculpt layers" ) to give the client options .To be able to change the text colour or even the box its in would be smashing.

Edited by stusutcliffe
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, stusutcliffe said:

I was just thinking about this, I am doing a job at the moment with loads of sculpt layers ( in the sculpt tab not the new "sculpt layers" ) to give the client options .To be able to change the text colour or even the box its in would be smashing.

Yeah most of my models in the paint room have many optional paint layers. If I could label those layers via a color it would make it so much easier for me to find them and turn then on/off when needed. I did a similar thing with photoshop layers back in the day when that was how we'd traditionally paint textures for models.

1 minute ago, lesaint said:

"Auto Pick" confuses people

I agree.
Been fighting with it just 3 minutes ago.
If we could freeze other layers it would not as bad.

Hey Everyone,
Surface Hide Tool does not work as it should.
Even the surface of the mesh being hidden, any operation of other tools such as Pose Tool and Move Brush, the hidden mesh will have its surface modified as well.
I believe the function of Surface Hide that in addition to hiding the geometry, it should avoid any modification on the mesh surface similar to Freeze Tool.
I do not know if this is a bug in the Surface Hide tool or if the behavior of the tool is that even the geometry is hidden undergoes changes.

Note: When using the Pose Tool (Paint property), even if the geometry is hidden, the user can paint influence on the surface of the hidden mesh even if the user does not want it.
Please see the video that I made about this... Thank you.

Surface Hide just hide the polygons from being seen or edited by stroking over an area. Noting more.

VoxHide is the tool for that use. Test it please.

1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Surface Hide just hide the polygons from being seen or edited by stroking over an area. Noting more.

VoxHide is the tool for that use. Test it please. 

Hi @Carlosan
Thanks for answering me.... But what if you're working in Surface mode? And can not convert your work into Voxels?
How can you hide a geometry and not change this hidden geometry?

Are you sure this is not a tool bug?
If that's what you told me about just hiding polygons, I'm very sad and disappointed with this behavior of the Surface hide tool. Because I work a lot hiding parts of the mesh to be able to have a better view of the surface that I want to work on and the most important thing is not to change the geometry that is hidden.
If it's just to hide polygons, I'm sorry to say that, but the tool becomes completely useless for any function.

I realized something strange when I worked on the sculpture of a character and when I saw the character was with a very strange deformation in the leg and I had not understood the reason for it. I had ruined all my work without knowing it and I had to redo the work.

Without wanting to compare with the competing program, but I have to say if you hide a surface in that program, in addition to hiding, it protects the hidden part, not allowing any alteration of the hidden surface. As if it had the Freeze function at the same time the surface is hidden.

Please, could you tell me how I can work in Surface mode, hiding a surface without deforming it while being hidden?
Thank you very much

As always please send any support-related questions to Andrew Shpagin at

support@3dcoat.com 

Thx

Anyone else experiencing strange (messed up) result from Geometry>clean surface with mesh decimated down to 100k or less ? 

Usually before using Autopo, I decimate>smooth all>clean surface several times.
With 4.8.28A-SL I find I can't do clean surface, it makes the mesh explode here or there. It is not visible if you just glance at your whole mesh, you only notice it if you inspect everywhere.

Hi. I just moved to GNU/Linux and noticed some general issues with how 3D Coat's configuration directories are handled:

0002384: Every time 3D Coat executable is started, it sets 77777 file mode bits to all 3D Coat-related paths

0002385: 3D Coat creates its configuration paths directly inside user's home directory

0002386: 3D Coat V4.8 creates legacy configuration paths

By the way, is it possible to edit an already submitted Mantis report? I made some typos and would like to correct them. IIRC we could do that in earlier MBT versions.

Here's a new one on me, a .3B file exported as OBJ got changed:

1233142_B.thumb.png.d2214fbb4f62e7b75ff5ff77f4989999.png

OBJ.thumb.png.46d1fb525a5cfa3563a615a3b516cf13.png

Any ideas besides creating it in a polygon modeler?

@Tony Nemo, I opened your .3b file and I didn't see any issues with the geo (neither hipoly nor retopo or exported stuff). However, I forgot that GNU/Linux version is a little bit behind the Windows one, so I guess I'm not up to date with the most recent betas and thus can't be of any help here. Sorry about that, Tony.

I opened with 4.8.28A-SL on Win 10.
Exported with your export settings.

Imported back to retopo room in a new file, all fine.
brought it to paint room, still fine.
I also opened it in Blender 2.79, still fine.

18 hours ago, lesaint said:

I opened with 4.8.28A-SL on Win 10.
Exported with your export settings.

Imported back to retopo room in a new file, all fine.
brought it to paint room, still fine.
I also opened it in Blender 2.79, still fine.

I switched to the SL version and it turned out perfectly but I did cleanup the geometry somewhat. Thanks for the encouragement!

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:54 PM, ajz3d said:

how 3D Coat's configuration directories are handled...

Please define environment variable "COAT_FILES_PATH" with full path to your custom documents (configuration) folder. Read more here:
http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/Docs/CustomDocumentsFolder.pdf
The environment variable should be defined globally to Gnome applications. Please see section "Environment variables under Linux" in this document:
http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/LinuxDocs/FServer.pdf

• Like 1

Hello and thank you @SERGYI,
I've set COAT_FILES_PATH to point at ~/.config/3dcoatv48 and it works. Additionally, 3D Coat doesn't create legacy directories for V4 and V3 anymore, so this env path solved two of the reported problems.
I didn't touch COAT_SERVER, FSERVER_LOGFILE and FSERVER_LICPATH paths yet because I'm currently on trial of the GNU/Linux version of 3D Coat, so I guess I don't have anything to configure and point at.

I think 0002385 and 0002386 can be marked as resolved. User error...

What remains is the problem with 3D Coat changing file/dir permissions.

1 hour ago, Sorda said:

Whyyyy sooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowly??? 

Use the google drive link in the first post. :)

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sorda said:

Thanks man!

I'm glad to help! I try to keep all of the latest version on there, even a few version back if you need to revert.

• Haha 1

I keep several versions too but if you do need to download an older one you can just copy the link into your address bar and change the number in the file name, then hit Enter. At least that has worked in the past.

4.8.28A-SL Win10

Amusing bug(?)... after you have figured out what is happening :

In the paint room, set the active layer's Depth Opacity to Zero
Go to the Sculpt room, and try to use Move tool or the Pose tool on any vox layer, be it in surface mode or in voxel mode : It does not work, it only produces a visual effect similar to that of a normal map.