Jump to content
3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

Recommended Posts

Thank you for having fixed this " - Switching between camera shortcuts does not cancel chosen material. ".

There are more similar problems like this :

- Switching between camera shortcuts makes 2d and 3d grids disabled.

-Save and Autosave Make ghosted volumes visible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another undo bug :
1 In Sculpt room, choose constructor tool.

2 Go to paint room and start painting on the high poly.
3 Undo : selected tool reverts to constructor tool, you can't paint anymore, you have to go back to the sculpt room at pick a new tool before it will let you paint again in paint room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any timeline on getting the LInux version back online? 

With Substance leaving the professional market, IMO you have an opportunity here to penetrate the high-end market further.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sorda said:

At .32 i (and SL) s bug too. Nice. Again.  

Thanks for testing. Curious as to how many future versions will it take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Przemas said:

any chance for the Linux build to get an update?

Sergi mentioned about a page or two before this one, that they stopped regular Linux builds months ago because several users were telling them 3DCoat was performing much better on the Windows emulator than the standard Linux OS build. He mentioned they will look to resume them at some point under Ubuntu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The end of native Linux builds is a concern here. We use 3DCoat because it was native, before other alternatives restricted to Win/Mac builds. Even if not as fast as in Windows, we would be using 3DCoat. Not so with WINE, for a variety of reasons.

Let's hope the vague "they will look to resume them [the native Linux builds] at some point" won't take long. I'm a bit baffled at the studio(s) that suggested using WINE, and quite surprised to see Pilgway accepting that as a real option for professionals.

We'll keep using the last builds available for Linux. Later, we might have to part ways. A pity, really, if that day comes, specially now that Allegorithmic is dead as a company and the future of their products is uncertain, as other forum members said in this very thread already.

Anyways, we'll see.

Edited by Allabulle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 10:42 PM, AbnRanger said:

Sergi mentioned about a page or two before this one, that they stopped regular Linux builds months ago because several users were telling them 3DCoat was performing much better on the Windows emulator than the standard Linux OS build. He mentioned they will look to resume them at some point under Ubuntu.

ouch... so if it is running better under Wine my suggestion is to package  3DCoat+preconfigured WINE as an Appimage. This way we'll get well performing application that will run easily on almost any modern distro (with Appimage / Flatpaks you can bundle all required libs along and those will get used instead of system ones).

https://appimage.org/

On top of that it will make it easy to handle desktop integration (shortcuts, icons and so on).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Przemas said:

ouch... so if it is running better under Wine my suggestion is to package  3DCoat+preconfigured WINE as an Appimage. This way we'll get well performing application that will run easily on almost any modern distro (with Appimage / Flatpaks you can bundle all required libs along and those will get used instead of system ones).

https://appimage.org/

On top of that it will make it easy to handle desktop integration (shortcuts, icons and so on).

Nope, that won't pass professional security requirements. OK for home use, but not at a studio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pbowmar said:

Nope, that won't pass professional security requirements. OK for home use, but not at a studio.

... yeah, because WINE will ;) , c'mon...

But apart from that (WINE not a solution if we take your strict standards), but what's the problem with Appimages? They can be sandboxed etc.

If you go Flatpak way you get even more security - and some extra benefits when it comes to "unbundling" your app from the libraries (but with a price - you need to get into its architecture and from what I hear harder to set up). Both solutions IMO way better that asking us to set up WINE.

Side note - I run a small workshop and wouldn't have any issues running Appimage / Flatpak. My guess is for huge chunk of users it wouldn't be a problem as well (don't know sales data so it is wild guess). If it is a problem for a given studio... simply don't use it... Go manual WINE etc route we're directed towards at this point of time.

Edited by Przemas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're not my standards, they're AMPAS certification standards.

I agree, for many users it won't be a problem. So, if the number of large studios don't justify it then the 3DCoat team should not worry about it, and the big studios will need to look at other applications to use instead. Simple business :)

Any external software must be vetted, so Appimages or Flatpaks can have other scripts bundled that could compromise security. Again, I'm simply repeating the security standards so don't attack me for this :)

 

Cheers,


Peter B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Przemas: I have to agree with @pbowmar and @Allabulle. Using 3D Coat through Wine is a potential source of problems.

For example, ask yourself a question: who will you send bug reports to? Pilgway or Wine development team? How will you know that a problem you're experiencing is caused by 3D Coat and not Wine (or vice-versa)? Sometimes you can probably tell, but not always.

Please remember that "Wine Is Not an Emulator". It is not meant to robustly run all Windows software. For that you have hardware virtualization and passthrough.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not my intention pbowmar - I'm just trying to point to a solution that at the very least will please SOME users, rather than relying on one that won't please the ones you're talking about (if WINE is ok - I still fail to see why appimages / flatpaks that would bundle wine and 3dc would be a bad choice, studios would still have an option to do WINE stuff manually) and would be a hassle for the rest :) .

As said I have no clue how much of a percentage of total 3DC sales studios that need to follow AMPAS make.

P.S. Got any link to AMPAS certification standards? Curious about those...

@ajz3d I'm not saying WINE is ok - check my post. I'd definitely prefer good native version. But as members of Pilgway team mentioned Linux builds have been dropped for the time being and direct us to use WINE I'm trying to make the best of the situation.

Edited by Przemas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know. ;) I was trying to emphasize that running 3DC through Wine is not an acceptable solution for a production software (with all respect to Wine team of course).

I hope that the situation with GNU/Linux builds really is just a temporary one, and we will soon see updated releases on the download page.

Edited by ajz3d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ajz3d said:

I know. ;) I was trying to emphasize that running 3DC through Wine is not an acceptable solution for a production software (with all respect to Wine team of course).

I hope that the situation with GNU/Linux builds really is just a temporary one, and we will soon see updated releases on the download page.

 

35 minutes ago, ajz3d said:

@Przemas: I have to agree with @pbowmar and @Allabulle. Using 3D Coat through Wine is a potential source of problems.

For example, ask yourself a question: who will you send bug reports to? Pilgway or Wine development team? How will you know that a problem you're experiencing is caused by 3D Coat and not Wine (or vice-versa)? Sometimes you can probably tell, but not always.

Please remember that "Wine Is Not an Emulator". It is not meant to robustly run all Windows software. For that you have hardware virtualization and passthrough.

 

True, but I don't think Windows runs Windows apps robustly, to be honest. For a long time, I've heard 3DCoat runs faster on Linux than Windows, and recently there was some kind of scheduler issue with Windows cause noteworthy performance regression on certain AMD ThreadRipper CPU's. Hopefully, Sergi will get it sorted out soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

True, but I don't think Windows runs Windows apps robustly, to be honest.

Ah yes. that's a different story. One of many reasons which made me jump off the Windows train near the end of last year.

Then, when I was about to buy 3DC license for GNU/Linux, I stumbled upon Sergyi's post. Well, I guess I can only cross my fingers and wait.

Edited by ajz3d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this is only for latest Beta. Just updated to RTX 2080  and noticing lots of stutter and lag when using any size brush in vox. I notice that FPS drop down to 60 the minute i rotate the view  and 50fps when i start to sculpt. ahain any size brush.  anyone seeing this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, calilifestyle said:

Not sure if this is only for latest Beta. Just updated to RTX 2080  and noticing lots of stutter and lag when using any size brush in vox. I notice that FPS drop down to 60 the minute i rotate the view  and 50fps when i start to sculpt. ahain any size brush.  anyone seeing this 

I'm on a 1080 and have no such problems. Could be completely different, though, with the 20xx series. Go to the EDIT menu > Preferences Panel > General Tab > toward the bottom of the panel, there is a option for V-Sync. Try switching it and see if that fixes the issue. It's supposed to limit the FPS to the max your monitor will run at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:45 PM, Allabulle said:

We use 3DCoat because it was native...

We stopped to build "3DCoat" only under old Linux CentOS 6 ("GCC" compiler from old CentOS 6 makes errors during optimizations). But soon we will try to make native "3DCoat" build under newest Ubuntu using its latest "GCC" with all possible optimizations. That should increase speed of "3DCoat" and will make "3DCoat" builds under Linux regular.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×