3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

• Advanced Member

v4.8.10(DX64)

Changing merge operations in primitives & import tools do not stick when updating presets in Primitive History.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Create a new Surface sculpt.
2. Add a sphere with the Primitives tool.
3. Offset the sphere and Subtract.
4. In the Prim. History panel, change the top-most layer "Sphere[Subtract]" merge operation to Add in the Tool Options panel.
5. Right-click and select Update Presets on the top-most layer in the Prim. History panel.
6. Clear layer with Clear Current Object in the VoxTree panel.
7. Right-click and select Re-Apply Primitives in the Prim. History panel.
8. The last merge operation is still Subtract even though it was changed to Add.

Link to Primitive History feature requests:
http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/21939-additional-features-primitive-history/

Most important request would be to be able to re-order presets in the Primitive History panel.

Also, allowing math operators in numeric inputs would be quite handy for CAD type modeling.
http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/21940-allow-for-math-operators-in-numeric-inputs/

• Reputable Contributor
On 1/25/2018 at 1:59 PM, lesaint said:

Sorry if this is already a known issue, but for me it only appeared now with 4.8.10 :
Go to sculpt room and make a blob or something in voxels mode
Switch to extrude tool, make a few strokes, to make sure it works fine.
Now, either increase resolution of the vox layer, or use clone and decrease.
After that, when you try to use the extrude tool with the new resolution, it will do nothing. (using one of the pressure sensitive brushes. Lasso works)

Same problem here (4.8.10), the extrude tool has no effect if the voxel layer resolution has been changed (regardless of whether the change was made before or after any objects have been added to the layer).

On 25/01/2018 at 3:10 PM, Malo said:

Yep, sounds very similar, not as noisy as in video but yes, i hear it.

This sound only appears if i move the mouse in the viewport. 

In games I've stopped this by limiting fps (using nvidia inspector for nvidia card) - the more fps the louder the coil whine, and human brain can't register 100s of fps.    I've just tried with and without limiter in 3d coat (limited to 60fps) and a 22 second render in one was still a 22 second render in the other, so as expected, I don't think it harms CUDA performance (though that was just a quick test; if doing heavy CUDA dependent tasks, it would be wise to check further).   my pc not having a very whiny day though, so I'm only pretty sure, rather than certain, that it reduced whine on rotating round a complex model. 

any ideas what is going on with materials...makes 3d coat completely broken.

*I've uninstalled...deleted folders in program files and documents...reinstalled, registered.

system info:

Windows 10 - Version: 1709 Build: 16299.192

Nvidia 1070 - Driver: 388.71

it assigns wrong materials...assigns to wrong objects (ie assign to left arm..it does both)...hide object materials change...

Edited by bocs

• Reputable Contributor

that mannequin seems to have a problem, maybe the arms are instances of each other somehow ? (I have never worked with instances).

Anyway, easy fix : right click left arm vox layer and  click Clone>Clone
Then delete the original left arm.

you will be able to give them different shaders.

I think it's more then an instance issue...as you see, when I assign to the left arm..it changes the right arm, head, and legs..

hiding the torso causes the legs mat to change..

also note the orignal model does not start off with the default mat...and using the clay mat is red.

something is really messed up.

• Reputable Contributor

Not broken I believe but an oversight. These are instances it appears. The person who made this model,simply changed the name but did not un-instanced them. The name when you make an instanced object is denoted in the vox tab layer name of the instanced object.

Select the instancer tool. The select un-instanced all. 

After I did the above all worked correctly, though I did not check feet and hands. EDIT: I went back and checked feet and some of the hand parts and these were working correctly too.

No need for cloning any layers... 

instance.PNG

good.PNG

Edited by digman
Added infomation
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, digman said:

Not broken I believe but an oversight. These are instances it appears. The person who made this model,simply changed the name but did not un-instanced them. The name when you make an instanced object is denoted in the vox tab layer name of the instanced object.

Select the instancer tool. The select un-instanced all. 

After I did the above all worked correctly, though I did not check feet and hands. EDIT: I went back and checked feet and some of the hand parts and these were working correctly too.

No need for cloning any layers... 

instance.PNG

good.PNG

They are instanced for a reason. So, that even when limbs are posed independently, changes made to their surface are applied to the instanced limb (ie., sculpting larger muscles). If they need to be un-instanced, that can be done as you mentioned, using the Instancer tool.

I did some testing and found V4.8.8 was the last working version...

Here is a video showing the same steps

1st half of video = 4.8.8 (how it should look)

2nd half of video = 4.8.10 

*also note on 4.8.10 how the start mat is wrong, and open new file it's wrong + glossy

Edited by bocs

4 hours ago, bocs said:

I did some testing and found V4.8.8 was the last working version...

Here is a video showing the same steps

1st half of video = 4.8.8 (how it should look)

2nd half of video = 4.8.10 

*also note on 4.8.10 how the start mat is wrong, and open new file it's wrong + glossy

Hello! I'm Oleg Shaposhnikov, a tester from the 3D-Soat team. I'll answer you sometimes.
Try pushing the RMB on a suitable shader and applying "Select as Default Shader". Maybe it will help.

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

Hello! I'm Oleg Shaposhnikov, a tester from the 3D-Soat team. I'll answer you sometimes.
Try pushing the RMB on a suitable shader and applying "Select as Default Shader". Maybe it will help.

Hiya Oleg, Ah good to see an official developer tester... :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

Thanks that does seem to work!

Recap for Andrew:  V4.8.9+ clean installs the default shader is not set. which causes the glitches seen in the video.

I am unable to change keyboard shortcuts in either version 4.8.10 or 4.8.09.

I hover over the menu item, press "END" like instructed, but then after pressing the new key combination it just goes blank as if I pressed escape.

Tried deleting my 3D-CoatV48 folder. No effect (shortcuts are reset to default, but still cannot change any)

Anyone else?

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks Carlosan, didnt really want to mess with my drivers as my computer is working just fine and I'm in the middle of a job, didnt want to tempt fate just yet. And it does not seem to have helped lesaint.

I will keep it in mind for when Ive finished this job in  a few weeks. Its not critical, just annoying.

To define a hotkey is actually quite simple. All you need to do is point your mouse cursor over the item you would like to set a hotkey for and then press the END key, you will then see the following prompt. You can now press the key you would like to assign to the function. Keep in mind nearly every button or menu item you see in 3D-Coat be have a custom hotkey. Also, if a hotkey is already taken, it is no problem to go ahead an re-assign the key to whatever you like. 11.1.1.jpg

1 minute ago, Carlosan said:

To define a hotkey is actually quite simple. All you need to do is point your mouse cursor over the item you would like to set a hotkey for and then press the END key, you will then see the following prompt. You can now press the key you would like to assign to the function. Keep in mind nearly every button or menu item you see in 3D-Coat be have a custom hotkey. Also, if a hotkey is already taken, it is no problem to go ahead an re-assign the key to whatever you like.

Yes I know, that's exactly what I am doing. I have set hotkeys in previous versions of 3D Coat, lots of times. I know how it is supposed to work.

It is not working for me for anything in the [Camera] menu. 

• Like 1

• Contributor

I'm also having trouble setting up 3D-Coat shortcut keys 4.8.10. When I try to add a shortcut key -> Geometry / Unhide All the program simply does not allow shortcut key and when I try to change an existing shortcut key the program erases the shortcut does not allow more shortcut key.

Another strange thing that is happening is the Copy Clay tool (Surface Mode) that does not work as it should. It simply explodes the polygons when you do the duplicate procedure, just like when you try to load button as well.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
7 hours ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

Hello! With the appointment of hotkeys the issue will be resolved in the near future.
The problem with the "Copy Clay" tool will also be solved. But we need more time for this.

Oleg, could you ask Andrew to please add Symmetry to 3DC Printing. I was shocked to discover it is totally missing from the app. There isn't much sense in having 98% of the Sculpt Room tools in 3D Coat, without this most fundamental feature. It's like racing with a 3-legged horse. :D

• Reputable Contributor
23 minutes ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

You mean not this symmetry?

Безымянный.png11.png

For some crazy reason, the version I had installed (1.1.03), did not have it. I tried to delete the config files and launch the app again. But, after uninstalling the app and downloading the latest version, it appears to be back again. That was weird.