3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

• Contributor

Hi,

I'm using the latest version of 3d-coat and I was looking for the new tool: Re-project Tool and I did not find ...

I wonder if anything happened in this version? Or what was the reason the developers had to take the Re-project Tool?

Could someone tell me what happened to the Re-project Tool?
Thank you

• Advanced Member

>carlosan

Happy new year!  then yes Brush sensitivity is OK. but not work about negative depth alpha,, for me,,

then I do not know which brush is called as default,,

but the alpha which I used is often seen in 3d coat training tutoriall too. (and it is categorized as 3d coat brush,,)

concave.thumb.JPG.f3921a901cd09db29cbe8a2bfb843a22.JPG

I think, if 3d coat do not count negative alpha (grey color 0 to 0.5)? because, if I use them in sculpt room, any brush can show me as negative depth.(concave),,

In paint room (I test with UV mapping  mesh) , I can see negative alpha can concave only when  pen sensitivity is ignored, 

but if I use additcive alpha (0.5 to 1.0) for depth, and use "invert" or with ctrl, it work as concave.. so I may try invert these alpha in another 3d aprication, then use

"invert" option in 3d coat, I think it can concave,,,

I know most of 3d brush not use negative alpha (0 to 0.5) for depth too, so is it designed so?    If you can test with the same brush, (I believe most of user can see

same brush ,,as "3d coat brush set group") which I used,  in my pic, really apreciate. I hope to know it work for others, or not.. 

• Applink Developer

It's maybe good time to remind users to check their mantis reports. It's good practice to double check if the mantis reports you have written is still valid. If your bug report is fixed then 
you can leave a note and we can close your report. 

Have to say that looking overall reports in mantis, it looks like that 3d-coat is quite stable to use, which is a great news.

Edited by haikalle

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

@tokikake sorry i cant rep[licate this issue.

Try deleting options .xml on ...\user\Documents\3D-CoatV48

Hope it help

thanks,, I will try it,.. I am afraid it is cuased my wrong edit in gimp (if I overwrite default one already as wrong way,,)

• Advanced Member

Mm,, unfortunately remove XML did  not work for me. Then when I invert "height-map" of brush in GIMP , and return it in 3d coat,  it work.

Then  I can use "invert" option (ctrl) to  concave with pen plessure, and sculpt room with brush which recognize alpha.

I do not know it is caused only by my PC problem.. as for me, I can not use negative height map ( grey color  0 to 0.5) for sculpt too.  it seems ingored in 3d coat,, I think.

• Advanced Member

So I made negative grey-scale  brush and save as PSD.  I can not sculpt with this brush about voxel (I use build brash) . 

and I can not use it for texture paint height map with pen plessure mode.  if I sculpt for surface mode, it work. and can use it withoht pen plessure mode,,

testbrush.thumb.JPG.657c42f3062a36b89a1d4e08a1e1b8d3.JPG

If i invert height map, then return it I can sculpt for voxel without problem.

Can someone test it please ,  install this psd as blash, then in sculpt room, use build brush for Voxel .

negativetest.psd

• Reputable Contributor
On 1/4/2019 at 11:00 PM, tokikake said:

So I made negative grey-scale  brush and save as PSD.  I can not sculpt with this brush about voxel (I use build brash) . 

and I can not use it for texture paint height map with pen plessure mode.  if I sculpt for surface mode, it work. and can use it withoht pen plessure mode,,

testbrush.thumb.JPG.657c42f3062a36b89a1d4e08a1e1b8d3.JPG

If i invert height map, then return it I can sculpt for voxel without problem.

Can someone test it please ,  install this psd as blash, then in sculpt room, use build brush for Voxel .

negativetest.psd

Your brush alphas should have a black background and bright white/grey for the areas you want to extrude. In the app, if you want to invert the effect you can hold down CTRL or check INVERT in the toolbar.

• Advanced Member

>AbnRanger  

So what you means,  as you know we have 5 maps when import to another 2d aprication,  then you means I need to change "Alpha" maps as you mentioned  for sculpt ?  I have believed about sculpt room, "Depth" is only matter:( Then I edit in gimp, as you mentioned,, but it seems not work for me.

Or you means I need to change "Depth" map, because when sculpt with voxel, it can only extrude, not concave, (so 0 to 0.5 range gray not concave)? 

I know when I invert "depth" in Gimp,  then return it, now "Depth" change as "0.5 (newtral) to 1 (white)" to extrude.  and with use Ctrl or use "invert" option, I can concave.

Why I think, it somehow strange because,  if I use my brush, with surface mode, in sculpt room it work as I expected (so it concave).

and if I use my brush in paint room for UV mesh,  it can concave too. but if I use pen plessure for depth, and use the brush which count pen plessure not work.

my conculusion or assamption is,,,  only some cases,  (with voxel, or with pen plessure and UV texture paint"  0 to 0.5 "depth" seems ignored, but about other case, it can concave.

Edited by tokikake
attach movie

• Advanced Member

This  video (mp4 , I record long what  I expected then I can not up-load video ><;)  sculpt room with voxel and surface mode,  I use same brush (height_map in gimp grety to black to concave)  it work with Surface mode, but about voxel any brush can not work. so is it expected?  though I already learn,, if I invert height-map in gimp, (depth cannel)  then when concave use  invert, it work without problem..  but ideally I expoect concave  height map should work as same as extrude. in every brush which count alpha.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tklxgg3sp6i850m/testSculpt.mp4?dl=0

Edited by tokikake

- more intuitive job with "Virtual mirror" in retepo room. By default the active side is where more polygons placed.

- Fixed crash when new shader created in empty Paint room

- Switching between camera shortcuts does not cancel chosen material.

- zipping scenes polished, but still requires testing.

- Enabled Reproject in SL version

• Like 5

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:55 AM, pbowmar said:

Is the Linux version still being built?

We stopped to build "3DCoat" for Linux several months ago because several customers reported that performance of "3DCoat" inside Windows emulator under Linux is better than native build of "3DCoat" for Linux. Regular builds of "3DCoat" are only under Windows and macOS. In time we will try to build "3DCoat" under newest Ubuntu using its latest "GCC" with all possible optimizations. That should increase speed of "3DCoat" and will make "3DCoat" builds under Linux more regular.

• Confused 1

• Contributor

So we now should use WINE to run 3DCoat on Linux? I don't think that is ideal, albeit for now it's just for beta testing builds rather than stable production ones.

I really hope the new Linux native beta and future stable builds won't be too long ahead.

Thanks for the answer and clarification anyway, Sergyi. :good:

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, SERGYI said:

We stopped to build "3DCoat" for Linux several months ago because several customers reported that performance of "3DCoat" inside Windows emulator under Linux is better than native build of "3DCoat" for Linux. Regular builds of "3DCoat" are only under Windows and macOS. In time we will try to build "3DCoat" under newest Ubuntu using its latest "GCC" with all possible optimizations. That should increase speed of "3DCoat" and will make "3DCoat" builds under Linux more regular.

I see, thanks for the info. Unfortunately, a Windows emulator can't be used for production work because of security and licensing. So, for production use, it appears 3DCoat has stopped being developed as a production tool. Of course the older versions are still useful! but we can't update to new things until a native Linux returns. Hopefully soon!

I would recommend using Centos 7.5 to build on as this is the industry standard Linux distro as well. IMO :)

Cheers,

Peter B

• Advanced Member

dear Development team.

development thank you.

I love your work.

to be honest, 3D-coat has some issues.    it doesn't have some function what I want( like zbrush...). 

but  3D-coat is improved certainly.  I can understand good future will probably come. 

(for example,  points/faces has changed to adsorb the center of X symmetry. good)

I appreciate 3D-coat and develpment team every day.

acutually I want send a graritude to them every day. but it would be troublesome.

I was not able to choose where I should post it.  so then, I post this message to this thread.

we will be with 3dcoat whatever happens to it.  if you are tired, take a break

thank you reading. :D

Edited by jene
  • Like 4

• Reputable Contributor

I used do do all my sculpting in voxels, I hated surface mode.
When sculpt layers arrived, I had no idea what to do with it, but, the ability to paint depth in vertex painting mode changed everything.
Painting the high poly rather than the low poly solves many problems and avoids pitfalls.

Now that I've been doing this for a while, I wonder, how about a "live clay paint brush" in the paint room ? :) It would add geometry as needed while painting in paint room. At present, if there is not enough geometry, it breaks the surface and you need to go to the sculpt room to repair.

Edited by lesaint
  • Like 1

@ Dev-Team:

Could someone  fix this  - V8 -  UNDO BUG please  !!!

bug_000.thumb.jpg.bd81985d50e0fc14158c307052cb948e.jpg

bug_001.thumb.jpg.302bb9ade0e4f2b8a2fbc8d5d05202e2.jpg

bug_002.thumb.jpg.2845cf002acbba33f2c43d4876b124f8.jpg

bug_003.thumb.jpg.2f97a996b1654f65e2dbef05db6a1f65.jpg

Every V8 Version has this Transform Tool undo BUG.

The object is somehow useless after the undo. (It is partially hidden/broken - undo wise).

Thank you.

Edited by The_Mikeman

3 hours ago, The_Mikeman said:

@ Dev-Team:

Could someone  fix this  - V8 -  UNDO BUG please  !!!

bug_000.thumb.jpg.bd81985d50e0fc14158c307052cb948e.jpg

bug_001.thumb.jpg.302bb9ade0e4f2b8a2fbc8d5d05202e2.jpg

bug_002.thumb.jpg.2845cf002acbba33f2c43d4876b124f8.jpg

bug_003.thumb.jpg.2f97a996b1654f65e2dbef05db6a1f65.jpg

Every V8 Version has this Transform Tool undo BUG.

The object is somehow useless after the undo. (It is partially hidden/broken - undo wise).

Thank you.

This has been around the past 3 years. I started just using Cut and Clone instead ( hope that helps), but yeah it would be cool if it would be fixed.

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you for having fixed this " - Switching between camera shortcuts does not cancel chosen material. ".

There are more similar problems like this :

- Switching between camera shortcuts makes 2d and 3d grids disabled.

-Save and Autosave Make ghosted volumes visible

• Reputable Contributor

Another undo bug :
1 In Sculpt room, choose constructor tool.

2 Go to paint room and start painting on the high poly.
3 Undo : selected tool reverts to constructor tool, you can't paint anymore, you have to go back to the sculpt room at pick a new tool before it will let you paint again in paint room.

• Advanced Member

Any timeline on getting the LInux version back online? 

With Substance leaving the professional market, IMO you have an opportunity here to penetrate the high-end market further.