3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Sculpt strokes on reference object

GimbalLock

Hi forum,

I need to paint 3d strokes along the surface of a solid object, and then hide/delete the original so only the strokes exist as a hollow mesh with the overall shape of the original model.

But I can't seem to find a way to put down clay in a seperate object and have it align to the surface of the first - is there a way?

• Advanced Member

Yeah.   The copy tool would work for that sort of thing.
copytool1.thumb.jpg.2c1c8b9cf81b8bbf420ceaac0ff67d23.jpg

This adds volume to both sides of the surface though so afterwards you might want to right click on the original layer and subtract from the new one (if you want to keep the original volume then duplicate it before hand).

The other option is to use the vox layer tool and mask out the area you want extruded and it will put the extrusion on a new layer without affecting the original.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Falconius,

Thank you for the help.

When trying the first method, the copy tool wouldn't paint a stroke, but instead the original (ref) mesh would become selected - when brushing over it in a seperate layer as you demonstrate. I couldn't really make it work, I wonder why. Settings looked the same.

The second method worked very well, and I ended up using that. It also had the benefit of supporting other alphas than round. Thanks again!

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Sculpt strokes on reference object