3DCoat Forums

Maintaining scale in 3DC

arumiat

• Advanced Member

This is based off the back of another thread.

Quick bit of background, I have a photogrammetry model that I'm displaying in Unity. I need to use the vox layer tool to create smaller shells of the model to sit tightly on top of the original model in Unity.

I so far have taken the original .obj model and scaled it properly and setup it's origin correctly in Blender using real world units. Exported as .fbx.

This fbx I put into Unity and am using with the original maps in the final project.

Now I want to use this same model to create my shells in 3DC. I've brought this .fbx into the paint room for microvertex painting (no option to maintain original scale is shown at this time) in order to be able to bake all the info into a single model for the sculpt room to be able to create accurate shells. I import the maps, and then have exported this all together as a high res model with all the information baked into it using the export menu (to use as my reference in the sculpt room to make my shells)

I open a new 3DC project and import my  microvertex baked model for Vertex Painting / Big Reference and this works good (aside from it is very large), - my painted model with the normal and displacement map comes into the sculpt room.

The problem is, if I try create a shell using this model and the vox layer tool and take that shell into Unity, the shell does not match up in scale to the .fbx that I originally imported into Unity. How can I maintain consistency between the two programs in terms of the scale and positioning of the models?

I tried a few different things like scaling down and not scaling down when importing into the sculpt room (it is imported at a much larger size to the sculpt room), and some different import settings (like making the resolution of the mesh higher for vertex painting) but so far no luck.

Would be great to hear if anyone has any tips, feel like I'm missing something key.

Edited by arumiat

• Advanced Member

No I did not. How do you do that?

But will that fix the difference between Unity and 3DC?

Will give it a go now or try think of some other workaround.

-------------

Additionally is there a way to set real world scale in 3DC? Then I can skip Blender from the whole process...

Edited by arumiat

• 4 months later...
  • Advanced Member

So as a followup to this/ maintaining scale question (and I'm leaving this here as much for my own future reference as for anyone else)

- if you import a model into 3Dcoat and want to maintain the export size & position & rotation the same as the imported model, you need to set the size and position and rotation of the model before applying, and then click the popup about maintaining export scale

- any transformations after this point will affect the eventually exported model, so don't do it