3DCoat Forums

Bend UV island

GimbalLock

Hi forum,

I love the 3d Coat UV room. Like, genuinly - I used to loathe UVs utterly before I jumped into 3d Coat.

But - I'm having difficulty finding a way to bend an island, and I have a hunch that it's not possible in 3d Coat. I know the method of straightening loops vertically and horizontally, and it's super, but mostly works for clean grid meshes - for this mesh I can't use it, because each square has a semi-round blob inside it and they get messed up.

Is there a trick in 3dCoat for making this island a straight rectancle? The texture distortion that comes with that is ok. I just wanna be able to place a pattern along the rows of blobs when texturing. (and warping one in photshop to fit the UVs didn't really hit the mark.

WarpUV.jpg

Well, it's modelled like this externally to fit into a model, based off a piece of a sphere so there was never a point where I had things straight and could throw in some straight UVs. I want to fit a fabric texture onto it, bending along with the shape, and each puff/blob should have some microfolds around it at fairly precise locations, that I could easily repeat in PS if the UV island was straight. Otherwise I'll have to paint them on each individual square one by one and it would be nice to have a trick for the future that makes such things much easier.