3DCoat Forums

"Dropping" the Image Spline painting

Deecey

I'm totally confused. 8-)

I'm working on a texture for some clothing. I used the Image Spline tool to add some trim between two materials.

According to the manual, to "bake" the image path pixels, you press Enter. And then you press Esc to remove the image spline path.

So ... the following image shows the result. 

top:  The painted trim before pressing the Enter key.

Middle: After pressing the Enter key some shadowing appears to be added (sometimes it's really objectionable)

Bottom: After pressing the Esc key to remove the path, the trim no longer remains. All that is left are some hints of it. Like there is some sort of multiplier on the layer blending instead of it being fully opaque.

I checked the layer blending setting and it's set to "Standard".  It seems like whatever I have to do to "drop" the trim to the layer isn't taking. Can anyone recommend what I might be missing?

trim.png

OK let's start with this one. If there is anything else you need to see let me know.

The "Skirt Base" layer is the brown leather and the linen fabric. "Layer 4" is where I wanted to drop the trim. The Tool Options palette shows the textures I loaded in for the trim.

image spline ui.png

Edited by Deecey
Added more detail.

• Reputable Contributor

Can you show the state of the model before you create the spline? I'm not clear if the first 2 images above is showing a PREVIEW of the image, or if that trim was already on the model and you are trying to apply some additional texture to it.

Your DEPTH value (in the toolbar, above the viewport) seems excessively high and I wonder if that is not causing some issues. Could you screen record the steps that bring this about, and for the sake of troubleshooting, could you disable the DEPTH Channel (or turn it down to around 10 or less) at some point in your recording, to see how much that effects the result?

As you can see in the video, the tool displays a preview of the result, so I don't know if that is what we are seeing in the first 2 images above, or not.

OK on further examination I think part of my difficulty is that the old video uses a "Stamps" palette to specify the images to use on the path. There is no longer a Stamps palette. Further searching indicates that later that was folded into the Stroke Modes palette which I can't seem to find in the "Windows" menu. So somewhere along the line terminology appears to have changed.

It seemed to me that the Tool Options palette allowed me to specify the images, but I must be missing something somewhere in selecting what mode to use. It's very confusing with all the terminology changes.

Further progress. Adjusting the "Border Width" setting to 0 resolved one of the issues, now I can see the full image running across the path after it's dropped.

My last resolving issue>  Figuring out why the dropped image looks darker than the pre-dropped tile. It's like it's being multiplied with the underlying layer. 

Other than that I'm closer!

borderwidth.png

• Like 1