3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Set point on fill gradient happening on surface - I need to change

Kelleytoons

So I just installed 3DCoat on my new machine and on my old machine when I did a fill and picked point a and b I could pick them "inside" of the object, as well as move them around inside, very necessary for getting the overall fill to be proper.  Now when I try the points are attached to the surface of the object and I can only move them around on that surface.

I tried but I don't see any setting anywhere I could possibly change to get this behavior to alter.  What am I doing wrong?

That sentence doesn't make any sense at all to me (I mean, I understand most of the words, but have no idea what you mean).

I opened up the object in Paint UV Mapped Mesh Per Pixel.  I'm just trying to paint on a layer.  I'm on the Paint menu, and selecting a layer with the fill bucket.  I see no way to switch from a surface to a voxel thingee.

• Contributor
2 hours ago, Kelleytoons said:

That sentence doesn't make any sense at all to me (I mean, I understand most of the words, but have no idea what you mean).

I opened up the object in Paint UV Mapped Mesh Per Pixel.  I'm just trying to paint on a layer.  I'm on the Paint menu, and selecting a layer with the fill bucket.  I see no way to switch from a surface to a voxel thingee.

Screen grabs are very useful for others to see the problem.

You are working on Paint room, ok.

If i work at perspective mode and cross the outer model shape limit, can paint inside the model.

I dont know if this is your current workflow.

* Layer0 is ghost for better visualization.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I feel like we are speaking an entirely different language.  "Perspective" -- that appears to be what I see, which is to say I maneuver around the object and see it from all sides, but it will only allow me to place the points for the fill on the surface of that object no matter what I do.

Perhaps I should make a video showing the issue.  First I'm going to check out my other computer (which DOES work, although it might have an earlier version of 3D Coat on it) to see if there are any settings that are different (difficult because it's in another room with no way to move, but I'll do my best).  But it does seem like there is some "snap to surface" setting that I'm getting somewhere.

Nope, that doesn't do it, either.

I'll make a video showing how the points "snap" to the surface (and also a video on my old machine which shows they do not have to do so).  Perhaps someone (you?) can tell me what I have to do to make my new machine install work like the old one.

• Carlosan changed the title to Set point on fill gradient happening on surface - I need to change

Sigh.  No, even a much older version is still behaving badly.

Why in heaven's name does the version I use on my old computer work and none of these do?  There must be *something* that's different (note: same graphics card on both machines, even).  Are you telling me the fill is supposed to work this way?  How is it not doing that on the other machine?  (I can post a video to show if you need to see it working correctly).

This is kind of huge.

• 3 months later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Set point on fill gradient happening on surface - I need to change