3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Baking details into normal map - horrible black stains

yeve

Question

I can't really understand the logics of baking the normal maps for painting after I made the retopology. 

I try to experiment with those shells now and I have sorta figured out why I am getting those black spots, but I can't understand why I can't paint over those black spots later in the Paint room. Why? :unknw:

Also I would like to ask how much should the retopoed shell be above the original sculpt. Or it should be all the way around? 

2018-05-23_13-28-30.png

9 answers to this question

• Contributor
3 hours ago, yeve said:

Thank you! 

This has made few things more clear for me.

However I have got another question that came to my mind. How can I sculpt the object that already has uv? For example, I have a model of the dog with UVs created before. I want to import it, sculpt the details not changing the main silhouette and then make the normal map out of this details. How can I do that? Because the only workflow that I have found so far was sculpt --> retopo+uv ---> bake ---> paint.

In the Sculpt room,  Geometry>Import from Retopo. If the details are minor, you can use any tool (logically in Surface mode) and rebake from the Retopo room. If bigger changes are contemplated with the Move, Pose or Transform tools will show the Mesh and it will snap to the new surface.

• Contributor

In the Retopo room, you must adjust the inner and outer scan depth to eliminate those areas. They are generally visible in the depth adjustment phase. Remember to delete your spotted object from the Paint Objects window. You can't paint over the spots because there is no 'surface' to paint on as it wasn't scanned at the parameters you used.

Edited by Tony Nemo
  • Like 1

Texture baking is the process of transferring details from one model to another.

The baking tool starts a certain distance out from the model (usually a low-resolution model for game use), and casts rays inwards towards another model (usually a high-resolution sculpt). When a ray intersects the 2nd model, it records the surface detail and saves that into a texture map, using the first model's Texture Coordinates.

Thank you! 

This has made few things more clear for me.

However I have got another question that came to my mind. How can I sculpt the object that already has uv? For example, I have a model of the dog with UVs created before. I want to import it, sculpt the details not changing the main silhouette and then make the normal map out of this details. How can I do that? Because the only workflow that I have found so far was sculpt --> retopo+uv ---> bake ---> paint.

On 5/25/2018 at 9:58 PM, Tony Nemo said:

In the Sculpt room,  Geometry>Import from Retopo. If the details are minor, you can use any tool (logically in Surface mode) and rebake from the Retopo room. If bigger changes are contemplated with the Move, Pose or Transform tools will show the Mesh and it will snap to the new surface.

Great! Worked like charm. I have imported the model to Retopo room and then sculpted and then baked the normals and painted, all the UVs stayed on place. Thank you! 

• Like 1