3DCoat Forums

Splines Bug

Dmitry Bedrik

• Advanced Member

I created my spline in Blender and got this here when trying to increase the resolution of the mesh in surface mode. The edges of the mesh are even, how to deal with it, if there is not such a problem from the room of retopology (creating something there I find extremely uncomfortable)?

Снимок.PNG

• Contributor

I don't understand what your workflow consists of. What were you going to do with the spline? Creating something is best done in sculpt rather than doing it in Retopo but you can import something from the Retopo into Sculpt.

• Advanced Member

Splines made not in the 3d coat, although in the burned format, can not work properly in the program. It's disgusting. The problem and screenshot to it, I described above. Do something.
Splines in subdivision begin to round at the edges. Just try use this spline and subdiv it. 

cubetry.mtl

cubetry.obj

Catmull-Clark is the subdivision Surface method used in 3dcoat sculpt room.

Simple method of SubD that only subdivides the surfaces, without any smoothing is not available at this moment.

But you can use Increase resolution command in Voxtree window.

Increase reolution .jpg

• Confused 1

• Advanced Member

I'm using this button that you specified. And it is option who issues such a bug. However, splines created from the room of retopology, in which it is terribly inconvenient to work, do not cause such problems.

Edited by Dmitry Bedrik

For that task, is better Retopo > Import on Retopo room

Select all faces > Subdivide

And the In sculpt Room use the command Geometry > Retopo Mesh > Sculpt mesh.

For some Hardsurface modelling -not sculpt modelling- work on external apps sometimes is better for traditional workflows.

RetoImport.jpg

All facesa.jpg

Subdivide.jpg

Sculpt.jpg

• Advanced Member

I'm tired of explaining that with splines created in the retopology room, and when working with a Tube / Array with these splines, you can subdivide the mesh along the curve on the fly, and there are no such bugs that I photographed above. I do not need to go every time to the room of retopology to perform this simple operation. This is a bug, and it needs to be fixed. I have already tried all these tips, they do not help. It's like drinking an aspirin with a severed head. And I need to import the spline mesh that I need into the retopology room, and from there already into splines - I also tried it - and it also does not work.
Once again, before I get disappointed finally in the technical support of the program and in the program itself - you used the spline that I sent, with the Tube / Array tool, and tried to subdivide the layer, the same button you recommended to me, and you saw what comes with a mesh? I write once again, already in the fourth, that it was absolutely clear. With splines created from the cropped cube, which is quite long, considering that the cursor can not remove the edges except by the will of the gods from old galaxies, because although the cursor hits the edges, it removes adjacent edges or does not delete them at all splines, the mesh along the curve is subdivided adequately and correctly. With exactly the same mesh, but imported from maya, blender - problems begin. 

From my point of view, instead of understanding the philosophy of the program, you are trying to work with the philosophy of work of other programs, hoping that 3dc will work in the same way. And this is not so.

If you are comfortable with Blender for certain jobs, I advise you that you still do it in Blender.

3dcoat is a program of sculpture, not hard surface modeling. You can perform tasks of that type but with limited tools because -I repeat it again- this sculpture program is not designed for this type of work but for organic modeling.

If you are disappointed with you purchase please contact sales@3dcoat.com, that's why it's always good to try the trial before making the purchase.

It is very difficult to work well with your provided mesh because it is an open geometry. Curves in 3dcoat work with closed geometries, with volumes. Its not a bug, is how it works.

For the type of work you need to do, I advise you to use 3D modeling programs specialized in hardsurface modelling such as Rhino or Autodesk 360.

cubetry.jpg