3DCoat Forums

New to 3DCoat

FreekeeDeekee

Hello everyone,

New user of 3DCoat here.  Looks very impressive so far.  I've had my eye on 3DC for a long time but for one reason or another never purchased.  My background is mostly CAD with Alibre and Rhino and I"m think 3DC would be a nice addition to my workflow.  Retopo, UV's and paint are not Rhino's strong points.  I've been wanting to get into making game/VFX assets for a while now and I am definitely looking for something to help me cross over. 

Some good things I've noticed  about 3DC:

• mind-blowing autoretopo
  • great paint
  • amazing price

Some not so good things:

• very old how-to videos
  • very very old forum topics
  • Sparse manual

The old training videos and forum topics are making me a little gun-shy about purchasing.  I think we've all had experiences with great software with poor documentation and how frustrating it can be.  The best software in the world is useless if you can't figure out how to use it.

I've already spent a few days watching 3DC videos and I'm no further ahead.  I would like to import an OBJ from Rhino, change the triangle mesh to quads and then move on to UV's and paint in 3DC.  If anyone knows of some good tutorials they can point me to, preferably on how to import a hard surface model from another application and then do the retopo, I would be very much grateful.

Thanks,

F

• Reputable Contributor
On 5/29/2018 at 2:50 AM, FreekeeDeekee said:

Hello everyone,

New user of 3DCoat here.  Looks very impressive so far.  I've had my eye on 3DC for a long time but for one reason or another never purchased.  My background is mostly CAD with Alibre and Rhino and I"m think 3DC would be a nice addition to my workflow.  Retopo, UV's and paint are not Rhino's strong points.  I've been wanting to get into making game/VFX assets for a while now and I am definitely looking for something to help me cross over. 

Some good things I've noticed  about 3DC:

• mind-blowing autoretopo
  • great paint
  • amazing price

Some not so good things:

• very old how-to videos
  • very very old forum topics
  • Sparse manual

The old training videos and forum topics are making me a little gun-shy about purchasing.  I think we've all had experiences with great software with poor documentation and how frustrating it can be.  The best software in the world is useless if you can't figure out how to use it.

I've already spent a few days watching 3DC videos and I'm no further ahead.  I would like to import an OBJ from Rhino, change the triangle mesh to quads and then move on to UV's and paint in 3DC.  If anyone knows of some good tutorials they can point me to, preferably on how to import a hard surface model from another application and then do the retopo, I would be very much grateful.

Thanks,

F

Old videos? You can search for training for just about any CG software and find a lot of old content, mixed with new. That goes for ZBrush, as well. 

Did you check this channel?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz7E0meXd2yMj4TKY2h0Rbg

• Contributor

Hi , videos are all fine , and they get updated all the time. Seatch on the official youtube channel , everything you see there , it applies to the latest beta builds.

3DC is one of the easiest sculpting tools out there , and yes i own Zbrush and Mudbox licenses  as well , so i clearly say i dont advertise it ,just  saying things as they are  as simple and straight up as i can.

So , do your self a favour and just dive in , watch some tutorial to get the main rooms functionality and start making simple sculpts.

Sculpt (Sculpt room) , auto retopo (autopo room) , auto unwrap (autopo room) , bake (autopo room) , paint (paint room)  is the simplest workflow to get you started.