3DCoat Forums

Any creating Mountain tutorials?

lwik

Hello, for the past year I have been working on a Unity game with 2D artwork. Basically its an artillery game with a mountain in the middle that you fire over. I have seen how well 3DCoat exports to Unity and a couple days ago I did a test with some free 3D Rock objects and managed to stack the rocks to make a good looking arch for the game. Unity is big on the PBR and I am sure these rock objects were made in 3Dcoat or similar program.

Are there any tutorials out there on building hills or mountains? I included a 2D graphic of my current mountain for the game and what I would like to move to in 3D as I update.

Thanks!

unity_image.png

current_hill.png

• Reputable Contributor

The best option for tasks like this is to use a terrain generator, such as those in E-on Vue (different versions available based on your budget), Terragen, World Machine and in Houdini (Indie version). It's too much effort trying to sculpt the natural erosion patterns, by hand. In some cases, it might be a good idea to sculpt the landscape in 3D Coat. An example of that might be soft rolling hills, such as Hobbiton, from Lord of the Rings, and such. But, overall, those apps specialize in that particular task.

Thanks guys. I have used Vue in the past for a company. I think that might be a little more epic for my goal but I am starting to think it is a multi app project. But I would need to finish it up in 3Dcoat since it exports to Unity easily and it keeps all the PBR in tact.

I did find this tutorial and it looks somewhat adequate for my needs and looks to be 100 % 3Dcoat.

• Like 1