3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Retopo not baking normals from external reference mesh

Skye

• Advanced Member

Hello, I encountered strange behavior when importing external mesh for retopo. It is a simple pipe, so low poly model as a retopo cage and turbosmoothed hi poly model. When I bake them all normals are flat, no curvature informationi. But If I import high poly model into sculpt room and subdivide and then bake with cage, normals are properly baked. Am I missing something in retopo settings?

• Advanced Member

Thanks for your replies guys, of course If I import mesh as in video, normals are baked properly. But If I go from retopo menu as you see below or File -> Import -> Reference mesh, I will get baked flat normals.

Basically there is a low poly pipe that I turbo smoothed to get High poly smooth object that I used as high poly reference, then I used the same low poly pipe as a Retopo mesh or cage, to bake normals from that HP obj. 

1111.JPG

Ah ok, Reference mesh is only for... Reference.

please check this

On 7/18/2017 at 4:16 AM, digman said:

Example of one Workflow: It is just an example that is all, as I said there are several methods.

I have a  hard surface high polygon model created in Blender and plus have the low polygon model of the same model created in Blender.

I would import the high polygon model into surface mode, not voxel mode. Not explaining here about surface mode or the reason of using it in this example.

Next I would import the low polygon model into the retopo room for my retopo mesh, then create my uv seams and uv set.

Bake to the paint room to create the normal map details from the high polygon model in the sculpt room.

Texture in the paint room and export for Unity 5 or Unreal 4.

TIp: To import a low polygon model into the retopo room to be used as your retopo mesh: Retopo Room---Retopo Menu---- Import. 

You will be asked to snap the retopo mesh to the reference object in the sculpt room. To say yes or no depends upon the your retopo mesh. I generally say no and do any local adjusting by hand if needed.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Retopo not baking normals from external reference mesh