3DCoat Forums

Smart Material Preview is different than my painting

AntonioC

On 2/15/2018 at 4:40 PM, digman said:

The preview window renders at a Higher quality. You would need a 8k map in the smart material to closely match it. 

You will be limited by the resolution of the smart material images that are used to make the smart material and your final texture resolution for your image maps. Also is how well you are using the UV space, that is how your uv-islands are filling up the uv space.

I make all-my smart materials at 4K.

I found out a little more:

If I don't use the magnification lense, the Smart Material Preview looks as blurry as my paint.

However, when I do use the magnification lense, the Smart Material Preview looks great and sharp, but my paint still looks blurry.

How could I apply the magnification to the Smart Material itself?

• Reputable Contributor

TEXTURES Menu > MESH & TEXTURE RESOLUTION. What is it showing as your current UV map size, and in the 2D Texture Editor, what does your UV's look like? Are the UV islands scaled up properly? It doesn't matter if you Smart Material is 16k if you UV map is only 512 or 1024. It's like trying to copy a 300dpi poster sized image to a 72dpi business card in Photoshop. It ain't gonna come out well.

It doesn't show me anything. Nothing happens when I click this menu item.

What I did was the following:

1) Click "New", select "Voxel Sculpting" and select the Cube icon so that it will create a cube.

2) Click "Apply" to create the suggested cube.

3) Click "Sculpt", then right-click the cube. Select "AUTOPO" -> InstantMeshes (auto) -> "Output polycount: 10k"

4) Click "Paint", select "Mesh and Texture Resolution" from the top menu. Nothing happens.

Did I forget anything so far?