3DCoat Forums

I've been thinking a lot about my next camera system as I gear up for my new computer

• Advanced Member

At various times in the past I've had a Nikon F2,  a Hasselblad, and various other digital cameras. I've never really enjoyed them the way I felt that I should have.

Thinking back with an attempt at being analytical I think it all came down to the  fact that they were always big cumbersome contraptions to haul around, especially the Hasselblad with 2 lenses, a pistol grip light meter etc in a big Velbon case. The end result was that taking photos became some big elaborate expedition where you're packing all this very valuable gear around. Thus you'd never be able to just grab the most important shots you wanted as they arose unexpectedly.

Lately I've been trying to plan out a new photography/videography system to match the new computer I'm buying (AMD 32 core 64 thread Threadripper). Everything I want seems to be coming out this August/September.

Now the obvious optimal choice right now is the Sony A7 R2 with something like 44 megapixels.

CK8h3IYUcAAcm9j-600x450.jpg.90ed19b3c10479487c88966795143bb5.jpg

I mean that's incredible right? But then it's a huge ball and chain no matter how incredible it is. YOu're going to be dragging that thing around dangling from your hand or on a backpack wherever you go. And you're sure as hell not going to leave it in your car...

But then there's Red One Hydrogen....it's a smart phone...with a camera. Nothing special about that...

James Jannard is named as sole inventor of the “MODULAR DIGITAL CAMERA AND CELLULAR PHONE”. He’s also the person who started up sunglasses brand Oakley and RED, the high-amperage camera-maker. A patent he filed last year at the US Patent and Trademark Office has popped up with acceptance granted just last month.

The modular system that Jannard proposes here looks to be a complementary part of what he may launch with the RED Hydrogen Media Machine. Based on an analysis of the figures, it appears that multiple RED Hydrogen-like devices (each with a USB-C connection with the purposing of busing) can be attached to each other through a magnetic pin system with different I/O such as HDMI and other ports. Different accessories could be attached like camera grips, shoulder mounts, viewfinders, lenses and lens hoods.

All of it looks to be proprietary, but given how RED appeals to cash-endowed filmmakers who like to live on the bleeding edge, perhaps customer will be willing to ride along.

red-hydrogen-patent.jpg.e362d82f789d690cd0cd4ea3e1d71491.jpg

So it will be a viewfinder to Red One's new 8K 3d camera system or a camera system in its own right with it's own modular lens system

https://www.cnet.co m/news/red-hydrogen-one-phone-hands-on/

Screen_Shot_2017_07_09_at_2_51.33_PM.0.thumb.png.46e17fcd5088698f07b44af462f32aae.png

Patent-Application-Gives-us-a-Better-Look-at-the-New-RED-Hydrogen-One-1024x882.thumb.jpg.17bed3cabc23776c8f9642679a726b70.jpg

Picture3.png.3274235894def2cb5b5d8f4482f4efc5.png

Patent-Application-Gives-us-a-Better-Look-at-the-New-RED-Hydrogen-One-1024x882.thumb.jpg.d27bc8857a3b11fb4b016d3578499d4c.jpg

Screen_Shot_2017_07_09_at_2.51.33_PM.0.png

Edited by L'Ancien Regime