3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Paint room cubic paint errors

dexsoft

Am I the only one who have problems with cubic projection when using smart materials? When model angle is 90 then it shows artifacts and errors on the mesh. It supose to work correctly just like 3planar paint in substance. Also cubic paint still leaves visible seams on painted uv model, it is true that they are hard to notice but they are here. 

How can I avoid these problems? Is it a bug? 

If it is, when it will be fixed? 

I think it is basic thing, dont you agree? 

I mean, 3d coat is really fantastic and fixing such basic things will make this tool much better.

I also find it very slow if you want to import several models to make simple scene. If models have 4k texture it will refuse to work.

I find it fantastic for UV mapping, very fast. I only lack button to make automatic straight lines island. I know that I can select edges and straight them up one by one, but it is very slow. 

Also I am not sure how to force 3d coat not to flip uv islands because some apps dont like flipped uvS. I have filling that checkers are flipped, when i apply checkerboard and when it shows good, when I export model and open in maya they are actually fliped. So I need to flipe them first in 3d coat in order to get them good in maya. Maybe I am wrong. 

Maybe all of these I simply dont know how to do, so if you know sollution I will be happy to hear

So in short:

1. Cubic projection errors

2. Visible seams with cubic paint

3. Will be faster in next versions for several model import

4. Button to straighten islands

5. Do not flip islands uv

It is interesting that I searched forum for this cubic paint errors and no hits, just like no one have this problem but me. And it is pretty basic thing I think.

I mean you are new to 3d coat, start to paint and boom, error on paint. Whaaattt.... What I am doing wrong. 

I tried that 3planar in substance and work great with no errors. Maybe I dont know to properly apply cubic paint. 

Hm, I always had this problem. I am using 3d coat more than a year and always had this problem with all versions.

I will share it so maybe some of my settimgs are bad.

I am using one of standard materials from painted metals.

An always when i have some more complex object than a cube I am getting such errors.

Unbelivable that I am the only one :(

I always try to workaroumd and loose time with uv maping to avoid seams because cubic makes me trouble.

Hm. I recalculated curvature map and painted again and suddenly it works good.

Unbelivable. I am fighting with this problem over one year now and it was like deleting one file :(

Thnx so much. life will be much better now :)

er3.thumb.png.e3ea2b81ab6b86ee4fd271ea0a41cddd.png

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Paint room cubic paint errors
  • Advanced Member
On 7/3/2018 at 9:59 AM, dexsoft said:

hm, it looks that work good because I checked AUTOSMOOTHING groups when I baked high to lowpoly. When It is not checked it creates these errors on cubic paint

I will have to test this option out. I sometimes see the stretching you talk about on some of my models. Its usually minor unimportant areas users would never see in a game but still annoys me when it appears.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Ok After trying this out it definitely works. I wish I knew this settings like 1.5 years ago when I started using 3D Coat. Having it set in preferences to Interpolated Color (which I have always had it set to) and then when baking the normals the option Auto Smoothing checked fixes any stretched textures I saw on my same model previously when it was baked without the option. I am so glad it was just a setting, I always thought it was something wrong with my models (despite them having clean topology and perfect bakes).

• Like 1

Could that not also have something to do with padding. I'm a total novice but surely too much padding would encroach into adjacent UV's and cause artifacts. I've seen similar but never concerned about it as it was just outside my uv's edge. 

Thanks for the tip though.