3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Using Curve Stroke in Sculpt Room (3D-Coat 4.8.18). Does not work!

• Contributor

Hi!
Hey everyone...

Could someone please confirm a possible error?

My version of 3D-Coat is 4.8.18 and I tested it with the GL and DX.

I'm trying to use the Curve Stroke in the Sculpt Room in conjunction with any brush (freeze, Clay or others brushes) and it's not working.
The percentage of the calculation appears when the tool is applied and as a result nothing happens.

Now, when I went to the Paint Room, I chose the Stroke Curve and it worked correctly.

I did the same test on the previous version of 3D-Coat 4.7 and the Stroke Curve worked perfectly on the Sculpt Room and Paint Room.

Does Curve Stroke in the latest version of 3D-Coat not working in Sculpt Room?

Thank you for your attention.
image.thumb.png.2adb9cb574cc2a6d52a28427408b73cd.png

• Contributor

- In 3D-Coat 4.7, it works perfectly.

- I can not run Curve Stroke normally on 3D-Coat 4.8.18. (Only works with new beta curves enabled.)

I have tested it several times and with various types of settings and it does not work.
The calculation percentage appears, but with no effect of the brush with open or closed curve stroke.

I tried different values on Depth with all the sculpture brush and with the Brush Freeze... nothing worked for me.

Honestly, I do not know what's going on with the normal mode of Curve Stroke in 3D-Coat 4.8.18.
Remembering again that for me it works only when I activate the option in the preferences of the new Beta Curves, but if I do not use new Beta Curves does not work.

curves_not_ok_4.8.jpg

• Contributor
2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

hmmmm... Try deleting C:\Users\user\Documents\3D-CoatV48\Options.xml 

Thank you for trying to help me ....

Unfortunately, I did not succeed.
I followed your suggestion exactly by erasing the file, I restarted the program, but I continue with the Curve Stroke problem I described.

Really very strange, it's as if the functionality of the curve did not exist. The percentage of functionality is displayed and nothing happens as a result.

I do not know what to do...

• Contributor

Is there any property that could interfere with Curve Stroke?

I already checked the depth. It is beyond 50.
I checked if the Steady Stroke option is enabled. And it is not!
I have already checked the properties of the brushes and the alpha to be used ... and everything is normal.

Is there anything else I can be forgetting?

• Contributor
36 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Stroke depth limit, brush options, alphas, curves... any parameter can be a variable.

Do you have another computer to test fresh install ?

Unfortunately, I do not have another computer to do this test.
But in the previous version of 3D-Coat 4.7 (it's installed on this same computer) is working properly with the Curve Stroke.

I have seen all these parameters and everything is normal.
Nothing that these variables influence the Curve Stroke in the Sculpt Room ...

I just did a test:
I did a Curve Stroke in the Sculpt Room and it did not work. Then I switched to Paint Room to reuse the same curve I did in the Sculpt Room using paint and it worked normally in the Paint Room.

Something in the Sculpt Room is happening to me, making it impossible for Curve Stroke to work properly in the Sculpt Room.

• Contributor

I do not know if I would open another topic to report other problems in 3D-Coat 4.8.18 that is happening to me - especially in Sculpt Room's Surface Mode.

I'm having problems with the Clone Tool and Cut & Clone tool when they are used in the SURFACE mode of the sculpt room.
The problem for both tools is the same.

When I select a certain part of the mesh (using any type of Stroke Modes), the tool calculates and as a result the cloned part that I chose appears, but all the previous mesh is deleted. Only the part chosen by me is left on the screen and mysteriously all the mesh I made the operation disappears. Remember that this only happens in Sculpt room - Surface mode.

In Voxels mode, the tools work correctly. The tool clones, but leaves the mesh that has suffered the operation intact.

I have already uninstalled the program and installed earlier versions of 3D-Coat and this Clone tool and Clone & Cut tool error still happens.

In the 3D-Coat version 4.8.08 the Clone tool and Clone & Cut tool work correctly in Surface mode.
image.thumb.png.99511bcdcffce697b4e7c4ea7b31d864.png

• Contributor
7 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Cut & Clone tool

Bug confirmed and reported

Thx

Thanks for confirming the bug in the tools:
- Clone Tool
- Cut & Clone tool
I was already thinking that these mistakes were just happening to me.
-----------------------

Returning to the subject of the topic, about the functioning of the Curve Stroke in the Sculpt Room. Are you sure that Curve Stroke has no bug?
When I installed earlier versions of 3D-Coat, Curve Stroke also did not work in Sculpt Room. In the 3D-Coat version 4.7 is working correctly.

What I can confirm for you in 3D-Coat 4.8.18 is that when I activate the new Curve Beta preferences, the functionalities of the curves work.
The only thing I do not understand is that when I use the Curve Stroke and hit the enter key, nothing happens ... I have to go to the curves menu and choose the Run Brush Along Projection option to work as I was accustomed to use the same tool (default Curves of the program) by pressing the Enter key.

However, I would not like to use the new Beta Curves because it is still in the development stage and has many bugs (of course this is normal for a tool being developed!).
So I'd like to use the program's Standard Curves ... but unfortunately, I've done several tests and looking closely at all the properties that could influence the Curves Stroke and I did not see anything wrong.
I can only think that it can be a bug... 

• Contributor
39 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

When I use the Curve Stroke and hit the enter key, tool is working fine.

Thank you for your attention and for trying to help me.

Can you tell me if Andrew will release a version 4.8.19 before launching the version of 3D-Coat that implements Sculpt layers?

If we have this version 4.8.19 with bugs fixed, maybe I have some hope that Stroke Curves might work on my computer when I install this version.

I've already given up hope of running Curves Stroke on my computer with the version of 3D-Coat 4.8.18 ... I've tried everything and it did not work with anything I've tried.

• Contributor
20 hours ago, Carlosan said:

When I use the Curve Stroke and hit the enter key, tool is working fine.

Is there a file (in any installation folder or documents folder) that is related to Curve Strokes?

I was wondering if there was any file directly related to Strokes Modes, I could replace it or something ...

Could I do that? It would be my last attempt to run Curve Strokes on my installed version of 4.8.18 ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

1) One thing I discovered is that when I use the Curves (standard version - stable) with the Curves Stroke, I enter the submenu and choose the Detach From The Surface option and press ENTER works normally, but if I go back attach to the surface does not work anymore (in Sculpt Room).

2) What I can confirm for you in 3D-Coat 4.8.18 is that when I activate the new Curve Beta preferences, the functionalities of the curves work.
The only thing I do not understand is that when I use the Curve Stroke and hit the enter key, nothing happens ... I have to go to the curves menu and choose the Run Brush Along Projection option to work as I was accustomed to use the same tool (default Curves of the program) by pressing the Enter key.

3 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

new version 4.8.19

- Huge changes in curves. Filling curve by patch works stable and provides good quality. Filling with holes inside supported. Just add curve in sub-tree of filled curve and it will be treated as hole. Boolean operations between curves in 3D. Many changes related to curves. 

• Contributor
1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Thank you very much for the information of a new version of 3D-Coat. I will install and I will inform if this problem that is happening to me will not exist anymore. I hope everything works out right with me on this Curves problem.

One other thing I would like to comment on is that my installation of 3D-Coat is not standard. I used environment variable "COAT_FILES_PATH" with full path to your custom documents folder.
Did this procedure influence the Curves problem?

• Like 1

May be, its difficult to know because development is new.

On both Linux and Windows you can easily create a symbolic link to refer to another location, I hope this little trick will help you.

See more here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Will you try please ?

Try to relocate 3D-Coat's data to some other folder. Create the file

3D-Coat-install-folder\coat_data_path.txt

and put there the path to data folder, for example

drriveletter:\3dcoat_new-folder-data\

I attached example of correct file.

coat_data_path.txt

• Contributor
25 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

May be, its difficult to know because development is new.

On both Linux and Windows you can easily create a symbolic link to refer to another location, I hope this little trick will help you.

See more here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Will you try please ? 

Try to relocate 3D-Coat's data to some other folder. Create the file

3D-Coat-install-folder\coat_data_path.txt

and put there the path to data folder, for example

drriveletter:\3dcoat_new-folder-data\

I attached example of correct file.

coat_data_path.txt

Yes, I will try but...

As I mentioned above, I did the procedure using the environment variable "COAT_FILES_PATH" with full path to your custom documents folder.

Thank you very much for instructing me and passing me the txt file.

My question is that I do not know how to do this new installation, since my presets and other related things are located in this separate folder that I put the path in the file of the variable CoAT_FILES_PATH.

With my current installation, how should I do it now?

Do I have to delete the file I created from the environment variable "COAT_FILES_PATH"?

Do I have to create Symbolic Link first?

To relocate 3D-Coat's data to some other folder should I just copy and paste?

I apologize for so many questions, but I was very confused and doubtful. I'm afraid of not knowing how to do anything right.

If I give you not much work, you could pass me the most detailed steps in order so that I could follow correctly?

I really thank you for helping me.

* backup first your personal folder

yes, create Symbolic Link . Change c:\3dcoat_data\ for your personal data: driveletter:\your_personal-folder\ (coat_data_path.txt was only an example file)

Only change the content, do not change file name (must remain coat_data_path.txt)

delete the environment variable "COAT_FILES_PATH"

• Contributor

My installation is as follows:

Folder I installed 3D-Coat = C:\Program Files\3d-Coat

Folder I have my presets and etc = D:\apps\3DCoatDataFiles
------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm embarrassed to have these basic questions, but I ask you a little patience with me.

Please, could you tell me if the steps I should do would be:

1- Make my backup

2 - Delete the environment variable "COAT_FILES_PATH"

3- Create the file coat_data_path.txt (where in this file I enter the path of the folder D:\apps\3DCoatDataFiles)

4- Put this file coat_data_path.txt into the C:\Program Files\3d-Coat

5- Create the Symbolic Link:
According to my installation, what kind of mklink (soft / D or hard / J) could I use?
Is the command below right?

mklink /J C:\Program Files\3d-Coat D:\apps\3DCoatDataFiles

Were those the steps I should take? Am I forgetting something important to do?

Thanks for your help.

• Contributor

Thank you so much for answering me.

The command I use to make the Symbolic link is correct? Because the command I'm going to use is the Hard Link.

mklink / J C:\Program Files\3d-Coat D:\apps\3DCoatDataFiles

Is this right?

Or I have to use the soft link command:

mklink / D C:\Program Files\3d-Coat D:\apps\3DCoatDataFiles

• Contributor

I believe I've figured out what's going wrong for Curves Stroke not to work here on my installation of my computer.

After following the steps (I did a new installation until before doing the Symbolic Link), I went in the folder of my data (
D:\apps\3DCoatDataFiles ) and I looked for in it files and folders that could influence in something in that error that I was having. I have found that in the Temp folder there is a file called page_4.xml.
In this file, some variable that I have never created or altered is influencing the non-functioning of the Curves Stroke.
So, I thought about to make a test.

In this test, I went to the Windows / Restore Workspace menu for one that was pretty much the standard that came with installing 3D-Coat and then Curves Stroke worked.
Then, I've been restoring another workspace, where I did a layout leaving all the windows on the left side of the 3D-Coat and just a few windows with small width on the right side and I went to test if the Curves Stroke would work and to my surprise it did not work .

I think there is a problem going on with the custom layout that the user can do.
In my case, the main central part where we work on the sculptures if it is moved from the central position at the screen or in some other way Curves Stroke stops working. But if you move again the main part to the center of the screen ... the 3D-Coat Curves Stroke back to work.

In short, Curves Stroke stops working with changes in the layout of the workspace and I'm not sure if the page_4.xml file influences this behavior of Curves Stroke.

• Thanks 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Using Curve Stroke in Sculpt Room (3D-Coat 4.8.18). Does not work!