3DCoat Forums

Image weirdness in 4.8

Mix Mash

I don't really use 3d Coat much but I recently upgraded to 4.8 and I wanted to do some retopo work.

Firstly, I am bummed that LWO object support is gone.

I used an OBJ instead but when I tried to add a a colour texture (png) to my reference model, it came in upside down on the V axis. I fiddled around with some of the view settings and it did show the image the right way up but then when I tried to refresh the image (IE reloaded it as a new colour image), it went back to the the flipped OLD version of the image. Now I'm getting mixed results as I change to the retopo room and back. Sometimes the texture disappears, sometimes it is flipped again and sometimes it is missing so I get a generic grey colour or the animated B&W grid.

Basically, the image/texture system is being weird.

Can I stabilise this or something similar?

I just need the textures for reference for when I do retopo for now so it's not too complex a need yet but I still want that stability.

Any help will do.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Paul

(Mix Mash)

Yes, I do have the latest version but I just upgraded very recently.

I hadn't used 3d Coat for a while so I forgot that I used to do things a little differently way back in 3.0

I was importing the object as a reference mesh BUT I used to import the object for per pixel painting instead. If you import the object as per pixel painting then the textures come out properly.

But the big issue now that I have is with retopology and the error message of 'Face deleted because of non-manifold mesh'. I even subdivided my mesh twice and tripled all the polygons so I didn't get this message but the message kept coming back. I never had this problem in v3. It wasn't always perfect but now I can't retopologise properly because of this stupid message.

I don't suppose there is an option to disable this option so that I can retopologise like a used to?

Thanks,

Paul

(Mix Mash)

12 hours ago, Carlosan said:

UVroom > Checker style looks flipped: Its and old bug still unresolved.

3dcoat is very sensitive with nGons, try to clean up the surface before import the mesh for retopology.

That's the thing. The mesh is a very simple quad grid that has been slightly deformed. Since I subdivided the mesh AND tripled everything, I thought it would solve the problem but it didn't. Since it was a mesh plane and was open-ended, I then tried to make a closed mesh version so that there were no holes. There are no non-planar or co-planar polygons, Ngons, or 2 point polygons. There is NOTHING wrong with the mesh and I still get the error message. Any quad polys I try to create near specifis areas get turned into tri polygons and no matter how I try to fix things.

The problem is not me or my meshes - it is the program. I know this because I used to retopo more complex meshes with more diverse mesh topology in V3 and I never had that problem.

I just want to know why it does it or at least how to disable the feature that it giving me tris when I want quads.

Paul

(Mix Mash)