3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Freeze or mask in Voxels Mode in the Sculpt Room ?

Rygaard

• Contributor

I would like to ask if there would be a way to use the Freeze (mask) in Voxels Mode in the Sculpt Room.

I know that Freeze is used in the Pose Tool, Vox Extrude, Vox Layer ... Is it possible to use the Freeze with the Move Brush and the other sculpting Brushes in Voxels mode? Or some masking technique for sculpting tools on Voxels?

Thank you

• Contributor
2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Freeze only works on Sculpt Mode.

I already knew that the freeze only functioned in Surface mode ... but I still had a very remote hope in Voxels.
Thanks for taking the doubt!

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Freeze or mask in Voxels Mode in the Sculpt Room ?
  • Contributor
8 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

You can use the HIDE tool to emulate freezing, in Voxel mode. It's visually not quite the same, but it does freeze the hidden area, which is a cool feature in certain circumstances.

I agree with you ... I do this a lot in my work. I thought you might have a remote chance of using the freeze in Voxel, since with the freeze you have the advantage of seeing the mesh that is frozen while working. It may be that one day there is a Freeze brush in Voxel. :) 

• Contributor
18 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Voxel layer / Coat tools and merge later will help ?

I think not... :( but this may help in some circumstances.
But thanks for the tip.
Coat tool is fantastic, I confess I did not use it as I should. I will practice more with this tool.

It would be to use Freeze on Voxels the same way we used it inside the Surface Mode.
Where we could use any Brush (Move Brush or Sculpt Brushes) and sculpt the area with all visible mesh so we can get a sense of what we're doing in the surface area. Unfortunately, this is not possible in voxels.

Since "pure" voxels include the entire volume of an object, surface "masking" doesn't really address the aspect of interior volume (a surface shading mask has no way to convey how deep the mask should penetrate into the volume).

• Contributor
2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Since "pure" voxels include the entire volume of an object, surface "masking" doesn't really address the aspect of interior volume (a surface shading mask has no way to convey how deep the mask should penetrate into the volume).

Complex the world of voxels and surface!

If there was a way to realize the freeze that happens in the Pose Tool for the other Brushes of the Voxels would be very interesting.
For example, I know it would not be intuitive for users, but if the user could use the Freeze that comes from the Pose Tool, switch to another brush, that freeze would still remain on the voxels surface and so we could work in that area. It would be great!