3DCoat Forums

PC upgrade for 3D-Coat

• Advanced Member

Hi,

I'm planning to make some upgrades to my PC and wondering what will give best results with 3D-Coat - more RAM or new GPU. 

My current machine:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - OC to 3,8GHz

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB, 3000MHz, CL15

Asus GeForce GTX 970, 4GB VRAM( actually 3,5GB if I remember correctly)

With RAM, I plan to add extra 16GB - total 32BG.

With GPU, I think I would go with GTX 1070, 8GB.

Work scenario:

I use 3D-Coat mostly for conept art, using only custom shaders and sometimes smart materials but painted straight on model(no texturing, no uv's, normals, etc).

My finished models are usually 20 to over 40 millions of polys, but I would like to push it further, make more complexe scenes, more detailed models. I don't make low poly models, no retopo, etc. I use Retopo Room only for sculpting(armour parts, ect.)

I do my renders in 3D-Coat.

Sculpting experience is more or less ok, but I haven't pushed it more than 44 millions, so I don't know how my PC gonna behave with something like 50, 60, 80 millions.

With rendering, when I reach over 10 millions, setting up things in Render Room with realtime render it becomes a bit sluggish and with 40 millions it getting worse. Managing lights, models can be pain in the ass.

I can't upgrade both RAM and GPU right now, so I'm wondering what to upgrade first.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for suggestion.

I was testing 3DC with 41 million model and here are results with Rainmeter and Windows 10 Task Manager:

1. Sculpt Room:

- RAM usage - around 40 to 50%

- CPU - very low usage

- 24 to 42 fps

2. Render Room:

- RAM usage  - around 50%

- CPU - very low usage

- GPU :

- utilization - 100%

- dedicated GPU memory - from 1,5/4 to 2,1/4 GB(Windows Task Manager)

- GPU memory - 1,8/12GB(Windows Task Manager)

- Shared GPU Memory - 0,3/8 GB(Windows Task Manager)

- 4 to 12 fps

Low fps count appears also with lighter models, even with something like 14 millions.

• Advanced Member

Well, there shouldn't be any bottleneck or at least not as big.

I remember, there was no such lag in "older" 3D-Coat builds(same setup), but it may be fault of Windows 10 updates/settings(it can screw up things quite badly) or Nvidia settings.

I was playing around with settings in Nvidia control panel, enabled VSync and some other things(don't remember what) and I must say, there is huge difference in startup time of 3D-Coat and loading 3b files. Maybe there is something more I can tweak in Windows 10 and Nvidia settings?