3DCoat Forums

3DCoat to Keyshot 5.0

Mack

• Advanced Member

I watched that. When I go to to export Objects & Textures I don't get the pop up menu he gets. Coat just exports a .OBJ file which has no textures when opened in keyshot. 

Thoughts?

Thought I was onto something as he does have tools that move across platforms & apps, but most are Lightwave specific. But take a look at this & what he's made as just one of his tools.

In any case, you might get in touch with Oliver and perhaps he can fix you up.  What your showing isn't much different that what LWer's usually have to slog through.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

When you have a paint object, you'll see an option for Export Object and Textures in the file menu.    So if you're trying to export your sculpts, you might have to do an autopo and bake first to get a mesh into the paint room that you can export.

• Advanced Member

gbball- thanks for the info. When I go exports in the paint room I only get the option to save the file. No advanced options.

You know of any vid tutorial's on how to do that?  I am a total noob with textures/painting in 3dcoat. I have always done my texturing in keyshot.

Carlosan thanks. Does that mean that menu does not exist in 4.8.18?

Edited by Mack

• Advanced Member

You'll have to retopo or autoto your sculpts first.  They have to be paint objects. 

Try starting a new scene and choosing paint on UV mapped mesh from the first options...choose one of the starter objects and then see if you have the option to export object and texture.

I did a quick test and it seems to be context sensitive.  So if you'd don't have a UV'd paint mesh and you have to be in the paint room, otherwise the option wont appear.

You can also try this...

right click on one of your layers in the voxtree and choose the option to autotopo for per pixel painting...that will allow you to automatically retopologize your sculpt and UV unwrap it.  Then you should be able to export from the paint room.

• Advanced Member

Also, if/when you get the export working...you'll have to check the option box that Carlosan highlighted above in order to get the advanced options for texture exports.

I think he is trying to export the high poly object, and perhaps doesn't realize that one typically uses a low-poly mesh with all the high-poly details baked onto a normal/displacement map > apply UV's to the low-poly mesh > bake to the Paint Room > apply/paint textures > export.

One can export the high poly obejcts from the Sculpt room (FILE > EXPORT > EXPORT SCENE), but Keyshot might get bogged down and I doubt they have vertex maps to use on high-poly sculpts

related...