3DCoat Forums

retopo problem

• Advanced Member

i modelled  apair of pants for character.  export as autoretopo and reimport to sculpt to  add cloth dynamics.  excellent. reimport as high res voxels.  pants now look natural and wrinkled.  

BUT.  after this process, if i want to re auto retopo it builds an inner and outer shell.  any way to limit that to outer shell only.  if not is there a shell selection mode in retopo room so i dont have to waste my day tracking down stray polys

also using the retopo brush often snaps to interior shell even if i have ignore backfaces turned on.  strokes create inner and outer stroked for inner and outer faces.  seems like a major workflow bottleneck

Edited by blade33ru

• Advanced Member

yeah but obviously the  solid version doesnt fit really since i did the cloth sim so not a great solution.    the whole idea of the cloth sim is to make cool clothes.  we should be able to retopo them simply .  pretty difficult ..and painfully slow... with auto or manual.   

the only way to make shell selections that i can see is to create temporary UVs then select the polys based on UVs.  ok workflow i guess.

Edited by blade33ru

... reimport as high res voxels. ...BUT.  after this process, if i want to re auto retopo it builds an inner and outer shell. 

Mesh is closed ?

... any way to limit that to outer shell only.

duplicate, decimate, close holes, retopo. Delete not needed faces before unwrap

• Advanced Member

got both retopoed now.  was a pain in the ass...u can see i have interior and exterior surfaces .  both get retopeod.  strokes tool suck in this case.  creates strokes inside and outside.  autoretopo creats interio and exterior.  maybe a raycast option would be good...this method of modelling -retopo to sculpt- is very useful especially for vehicles and obviously for cloth

image.thumb.png.2df3c0d48f654afa7e5aa5e1d45ca6b9.png

later in maya after arduos polygon deleting process

image.thumb.png.95583d50fcf19b515254e0dbeb3951c0.png

image.png

could you try the solution I suggested ?

duplicate the model

decimate the model

close the holes and make it only one external surface

retopo that new decimate model with holes closed.

Delete not needed faces added when close the model holes before unwrap

• Advanced Member

yeah the trick is 'make it one external surface'.  there is NO easy way to do this other than delete lots of polygons.  actually the easiest way is to do auto retopo ..make UV edge seams, select the interior uvs, convert to faces and delete the import the surface into voxels in surface mode and use the close holes tool.  thats a lot of work,  creativity killer

if the cut off tool had an option to not cap the polys that might be useful with a shell selection.  actually pose tool has an object mode which is like shell selection so thats done

Edited by blade33ru