3DCoat Forums

New Curve tools. snapping and cutting questions/issues.

bfriedman

I've just given the new curves tools a workout and have two questions/issues.  Curious if anyone has found solutions.

1)When I turn on "snap to curve points" and "snap to curve" I do get snapping.  However, it's only in 2D, not 3D.  That is to say, it looks like it snaps perfectly in the current view, but then when you tumble, you'll find it didn't snap in depth.

I can see how a 2d "view based" snap can be useful too.  But I feel the 3d snap is extremely important.  Am I somehow doing this wrong?  Is there a way to get a 3d snap with some other key press?

If this is a feature oversight, I'd think a toggle under the snaps for 3d/2d snapping would be useful.

2) When I use the "Split Self Intersections" tool, with "Joint intersection" and "Split to Segments" I get mostly what I'd expect from a "cut curves" tool.  I get a new parent with child curve pieces all cut up by intersection points.  However, the original curves remain, which isn't what I want in most (but not all) cases.  I'd very much like an option to delete and replace the originals.

In a small curve cage, it's not too much of a nuisance to manually delete the originals.  But in a larger curve cage that you are building and cutting and building and cutting, it will become too complex to manage.  It's more ideal if there is a mode where curves that don't intersect, are left as is; and curves that are cut, get deleted and are replaced by the new segments.

Is there an existing way to make it work this way, that I'm missing?  If not, I'd suggest adding it for the purposes of working and refining complex curve cages efficiently.

Thanks.

-brad

Alas, no.  Snap to surface only works on surfaces.  It doesn't snap to curves or curve points at all.  While this will work if you happen to be trying to snap to a curve that is also snapped to a surface, it doesn't work when working with curves alone, in 3d space.