3DCoat Forums

Few questions before buying 3d coat (high poly purposes)

MarcinB

I`m mostly Modo and Zbrush user and I think about buying also 3d coat. I sculpt/ model things for 3d printing purposes so my sculpts starts from 1million polys.

1) what 3d coat using for handling geometry and operations on it (GPU, CPU - multithreaded?)

2) what is real high poly limitation on operations on geometry f.e. shell/extrude/intrude? 

3) Is it possible to operate on 5 million poly 3d scan?

4) is it possible to shell/intrude without intersections - as voxel shell. What is poly limitation of that operation? I can`t find any info about that over Internet.

5) is it possible to shell/intrude/extrude with exact dimensions (mm)?

I use 3D-Coat for a lot of 3D scanning and printing myself. I don't know all of these answers but I can tell you I've gone up to probably 30 mil polys without much trouble.

Why not download the demo version and give it a try?

Edit: Here is a screenshot. A 3D scan of a tree. It's about 35M triangles and I have no trouble sculpting on it at all in Surface mode.

tree_screen.png

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

1. CUDA cores are used only for some sculpting tools, while the GPU is used for many other things in general. The CPU is more important for most things though.
  2. I haven't tested the raw count on my latest machine, but on my old machine (core i7 4770k, geforce 760 and 16GB DDR3) I could easily go up to 40M polys. If you have anything newer than that you could probably go higher, especially with more RAM.
  3. Yes.
  4. Yes. See #2.
  5. Can't recall off the top of my head. Sorry!

• Reputable Contributor
On 8/6/2018 at 2:58 AM, MarcinB said:

I`m mostly Modo and Zbrush user and I think about buying also 3d coat. I sculpt/ model things for 3d printing purposes so my sculpts starts from 1million polys.

1) what 3d coat using for handling geometry and operations on it (GPU, CPU - multithreaded?)

2) what is real high poly limitation on operations on geometry f.e. shell/extrude/intrude? 

3) Is it possible to operate on 5 million poly 3d scan?

4) is it possible to shell/intrude without intersections - as voxel shell. What is poly limitation of that operation? I can`t find any info about that over Internet.

5) is it possible to shell/intrude/extrude with exact dimensions (mm)?

You can see in the following video, at the bottom of the UI, in the status bar, the scene polycount is 26mill. If you have 32GB of RAM or higher, you should be able to push well above 100mill, easily. A lot of it depends on whether your scene is comprised of dense voxel layers or Surface mode layers. Surface mode layers use quite a bit less memory than voxels.

The bust in this video is about 40mill

• Reputable Contributor

As for the SHELL or INTRUDE tools, it's really no different than using similar tools in major 3D apps like 3ds Max or Maya. You can create a shell in those apps and notice some self intersection when working with certain types of shapes, such as those that will fold back in on themselves. Yes, you set your measurement units to MM in the MEASURE tool (EDIT GEOMETRY section of the Tool panel), at the very top of the Tool Options panel that pops up.

Once you have the faces you want to create a shell from, selected, click on the SHELL tool and there is numerical parameter to set the increments it moves inwardly or outwardly with each click of the arrow to the left of right of that numeric field.