3DCoat Forums

Modo Meshfusion vs MOI 3D

• Advanced Member

https://community.foundry.com/discuss/topic/133055/mesh-fusion-and-moi3d

I've been using MOI3D for a while now, which is a great sketchpad type Nurbs hard surface modelling app that produces wonderful engineering type hard surface precise shapes. When Mesh Fusion was first released I tried to reproduce what I could do in MOI3D and failed, but now with Mesh Fusion in Modo 10.2 with procedurals and the improvements to meshing it's all there now.

It took me around 20 mins to get the form I was after in in Mesh Fusion which took me all day to get right in MOI3D. The speed was largely due to being able to adjust the form in real time with Mesh Fusion vs having to continually try and backout changes in MOI3D. The other part which took time in MOI3D was working out the export settings to get a smooth mesh that would render well with MODO. It's interesting to see how the two different applications compare with the final mesh that renders cleanly, I've attached a few renders to show the results I got with each program. To get the MOI3D mesh to render properly I needed to use triangles + quads as the n-gon wouldn't work, it took a long time of experimenting to get the right settings for export, but Mesh Fusion worked straight away and came up with an even cleaner mesh.

Anyway, super happy with how Mesh Fusion is going, the combination of Mesh Fusion and procedural mirror / helix etc is wonderful, as is the increased stability of Modo. I'm getting some great work done now.

MOI.thumb.png.c21346b1e714eacb03308d12062ff61b.png

Meshfu.thumb.png.fb3ef6111a38005f2781402dae2ab479.png

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=987.8

• Advanced Member

Never tried MeshFusion as I do not own Modo.  But I do own Groboto3D which was developed by Darrel Anderson who also did MeshFusion. Love Groboto but it's been abandoned by Anderson.

I do own Moi3D and not really up to snuff yet. But it is a very easy to catch on.

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, kenmo said:

Never tried MeshFusion as I do not own Modo.  But I do own Groboto3D which was developed by Darrel Anderson who also did MeshFusion. Love Groboto but it's been abandoned by Anderson.

I do own Moi3D and not really up to snuff yet. But it is a very easy to catch on.

Yeah basically Groboto IS Meshfusion.

• Reputable Contributor
13 hours ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

Yeah basically Groboto IS Meshfusion.

MeshFusion in Modo has undergone a LOT of development, since. If you do a LOT of modeling Modo is certainly worth a look, and since you now have a subscription option, it's fairly affordable, if you plan to use it a good deal. It's subscription is like $599/yr, which is about $50/mo. Blender is certainly a good alternative, with all of it's cool modeling addons (MeshMachine, HardOps, BoxCutter, DecalMachine, etc.).

• Advanced Member
24 minutes ago, Nossgrr said:

Ancient Regime, Have you tried Fusion 360 yet? It was made for creating shapes like that and is free to boot... Just install the "Trial", expires every year so you need to re-activate once per year.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen it around and yeah I love BREP modeling. I'll have to give it a spin.