3DCoat Forums

Add some extra info when naming textures

haikalle

• Applink Developer

Hi!

Right now when using applink 3d-coat will name exported textures like this:

File_UVsetName_color.jpg

The problem I have if I want to bring many objects from 3d-coat to blender. There is not enough information to know which textures belongs to which object. Could we change naming like this:

File_(Name of the object in paint room)_UVsetName_color.jpg

This way there is important "object name" that I can use to target textures into rights objects in blender.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The second part of the file name is the material name, not the UV set. SO it goes like this:

(mesh file name, ie. mymodel.obj == "mymodel_") + (materialname) + (texture type) + (extension)

I've had custom material import working in the max applink for years, it shouldn't be any issue in blender. That said, if you're trying to import the materials alone without also importing any models it does take a bit more work to figure out how to reconstruct them.

• Applink Developer

Thanks for helping me out with this PolyHertz :)

1) No, it's uv_set name not material name. You can easily test that you name your materials to something else and you can see that it's not updated into file name because it's using the Uv-set naming.

2) My problem with applink is this. Let's say that I sculpted a model that has three parts. I retopo and create uv-set to each part. Then I bake them into paint. Let's say that objects name are: HEAD, BODY, LEGS.

Now I paint them and I'm ready to use applink to take them into blender. I name the file Monster.obj and export only color texture. 3D-coat creates three texture files and they names are:

Monster_UvsetName_color.jpg

Monster_UvsetName1_color.jpg

Monster_UvsetName2_color.jpg

First part "Monster", This info really gives nothing to me because it only says what is the file name. It dosen't say what part of the object this texture belongs to.

My consern that I don't have enough info to know which texture file belongs to which part of the object. uvSet could have same name so we could have names like this:

This is the problem that I'm facing right now and it would be nice to have some helpful feedback how to handle this.

Edited by haikalle

• Applink Developer

I'm using the latest version and the problem is only if I use 3d-coat->Blender workflow. If I use workflow where I bring objects from blender into 3DC then it's okey because I can link objects and their materials before bringing them into 3DC.

This is the last issue I have with the applink code, almost seeing the finish line :)

• Applink Developer

Okey. I got it to work with the applink. But it is really confusing how it works right now. It's almost seams that "uv-set name" is root of all things, when I think more that everything should start from "object".

• 6 months later...