3DCoat Forums

Currently useless Noise Tool and how to improve it

AntonTenitsky

• Contributor

Hi all,

So 3D Coat has got a noise tool for surface meshes kinda like in Zbrush. But it is almost utterly useless in any kind of serious work at the moment.

The only real problem is that you can't save noise profile! The moment you are able to save the noise profile to reuse it the issue is solved for at least 80%

I mean ideally you want to introduce all those Zbrush sliders as well to make it easier to edit but by just allowing users to save profile is HUGE!

And this a stupidly easy thing to introduce. It's just a txt log of settings after all. You can do such a cool thing as save curves, but you can't save noise, come on!

Thank you,

Anton

PS I'll do a video thanking 3D Coat devs and describe the Noise feature on my channel if it gets implemented.

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

I brought this to Andrew's attention a few months back, but he's been working on Sculpt Layers and the new Beta Curves (plus bugfixing). But it would be great if you could record a video confirming what I told him. In the same conversation I also mentioned how ZBrush had an extensive Noise Generator, as you stated, with a library of noises. I asked him to please add a decent library of noises, including Reptile scales, and different procedural wood grain patterns and such, for V5. 

Bercon Maps (long time resource for 3ds Max users) is an OpenSource repository that he can use for this. IMO, with proper Sculpt Layers and an extensive Noise Generator, 3DCoat is suddenly in the same class as ZBrush, as a production level sculpting application. These are the 2 areas that would close the gap. I tested the core ZB brushes and with a little tweaking of the settings, to get similar brushes in 3DCoat to mimic the same brush behavior, I could tell very little discernible difference. They are both buttery smooth and fast.

The more users ask him about a better Noise Generator, the more apt he is to respond.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Contributor
On 8/17/2018 at 1:58 AM, AbnRanger said:

I brought this to Andrew's attention a few months back, but he's been working on Sculpt Layers and the new Beta Curves (plus bugfixing). But it would be great if you could record a video confirming what I told him. In the same conversation I also mentioned how ZBrush had an extensive Noise Generator, as you stated, with a library of noises. I asked him to please add a decent library of noises, including Reptile scales, and different procedural wood grain patterns and such, for V5. 

Bercon Maps (long time resource for 3ds Max users) is an OpenSource repository that he can use for this. IMO, with proper Sculpt Layers and an extensive Noise Generator, 3DCoat is suddenly in the same class as ZBrush, as a production level sculpting application. These are the 2 areas that would close the gap. I tested the core ZB brushes and with a little tweaking of the settings, to get similar brushes in 3DCoat to mimic the same brush behavior, I could tell very little discernible difference. They are both buttery smooth and fast.

The more users ask him about a better Noise Generator, the more apt he is to respond.

Hi AbnRanger,

I can't really do a video specifically about lack of the Noise feature as it is not very informative or educational.

I mentioned lack of the feature in number of my videos and added link to this thread in the last video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jht5wagE4I8

But thank you for approaching Andrew and telling him about it. I think there are still couple more things that could be improved to beat Zbrush. One is the "move" tool which acts quite funny and not very applicable for organic sculpting and that's the tool I used extensively in Zbrush. Also, masking isn't as easy and versatile as in Zbrush.

Though, I understand that Andrew really wants to get texturing tools to be awesome, therefore sculpting isn't the prime focus atm.

• Like 1