3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Using 4.8.20 and export does not appear to work properly

jima

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the tip Carlosan. Is there a download link to try 4.8.23 - I assume it is a work in progress. Slightly off topic: is there such a thing as release notes or something. The docs are not updated often and know I have only scratched the surface of what 3dc can do. Thanks

Ok, I blundered into this:

image.thumb.png.c979fd7b9ac23f965fc793f99c223e2b.png

I clicked OK and got this:

image.png.e5232269178ea669c048f453fbe3b003.png

So this appears broken in both 4.8.20 and 4.8.23 beta and in both GL and DX executables

Sorry I was not more insistent when I found the original problem. I needed to export objects so I dropped back.

So in addition to the above, it does not show a default directory window or prompt for a file name within that window. On the upside, things seem to be very streamlined for Don.:)

Sorry, now i see that you are talking about Sculpt workspace. I was talking about Paint workspace.

Which is your current workflow ? You need to export High poly mesh or scene for any particular use ?

File > export > Scene or selected object, both command are ok.

Carlosan, typically I start in rhino, import to 3dc to add physical texture and eventually make a 3d print. I'm guessing not a lot of people with 4.8.2x do any exporting?? For me, this is a serious issue but not urgent - I still have working software.

I'm not sure why voxels were removed from default sculpt room, I assume is might be related. The hard coded path appears to me to be a debugging aid to a developer who may have been working in this area of the code and forgot to remove prior to check in. Just speculating.

Typically, I  click on surface modeling in the splash screen. Then I go to the sculpt room. I don't do a lot of painting nowadays. I import a .obj file and make textures on the model, primarily by using stencils that are already there or ones I've created. Then I export the finished model. 

I admit I've gotten this workflow primarily by trial and error. It works for me.

So my method of doing my workflow has not worked since at least 4.8.20. I don't have the spare time or machine space to track down where exporting from the sculpt room got broken.

I've been doing software development for about 40 years in the DBMS arena. I understand that things happen. I also understand that the workload must be enormous.

Without question, 3dcoat is fantastic product. I also have my own list of things I would like it to do.  Users - bah! :)

Thanks for your help! It looks like you are working hard yourself.

Did you have painted using vertex paint method, and then export the model as ply ?

If you reply the old workflow: export vertex painted meshes from Sculpt Workspace using 

File > export selected object

Select a folder and, when press save...  3dc dont export anything ?

Using just export in sculpt does create a file in the last directory you export to, but the file is very small - 1k and not a valid .obj file. You should be able to duplicate this by going into surface modeling on the splash screen, choosing the bust figure, go to the sculpt room, click on draw in the surface tools on the left (notice that the default installation no longer shows voxel tools at the top of this list of menus),  then go to file in the top menu, choose export selected objects (and something else, it used to be just plain objects), 

Carlosan,

THAT WORKED!  I saved my existing xml files with a different extension, and then started latest rev of 3dc and it recreated the various xml files and exporting from sculpt room worked. I did a diff on just one of the xml files with the prior version and there were very significant differences.

Jim

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Using 4.8.20 and export does not appear to work properly