3DCoat Forums

NVIDIA RTX Technology: Making Real-Time Ray Tracing A Reality For Games

• Advanced Member
47 minutes ago, Falconius said:

I think it makes more sense to wait to let it sit and settle a bit.  Why rush out to buy a card?  Especially when the pro cards haven't been released yet and could be really fantastic.

Actually I haven't had a computer I can work in for over a year now and I'm aiming for Cyber Monday to get all the parts for my next rig so it's a matter of growing urgency to me. I have to say in favor of this RTX 2080Ti that it's scoring really highly for Vray. This is very very impressive and the pricing doesn't seem unreasonable to me given that Nvidia hasn't really come out with a new broadly issued GPU, the Pascal, for two years now.  

So I'm going to be probably posting a lot of news about this  over the next couple of months. This thread isn't disappearing off the bottom of the page anytime soon.

• Advanced Member

Reminds me of going to Computer shows in NJ.  Then putting it all together at home. Yeah you can buy it all online now but walking around the shows was great. LOL spending $2000 on a DX480 with a Sound Blaster Board  probably  4mb memory  I would load up  Ray Dream Designer 4  from Fractal Design  which came with a real BOOK/User Guide.   

• Advanced Member

So let's just say you decided to buy that RTX 2080 or that RTX 2080Ti or even wanted to drop $3000+ on a Titan V with it's odd Volta in it. and you liked it so much you decided to buy two and run them in tandem (assuming the PCIE link could even handle all that bandwidth) with NVLink...

Yup, that's right; $599.00 USD just for the bridge...

nvlink.thumb.JPG.bc635c019e33115aac1e7c5ff922ee28.JPG

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Reputable Contributor
27 minutes ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

So let's just say you decided to buy that RTX 2080 or that RTX 2080Ti or even wanted to drop $3000+ on a Titan V with it's odd Volta in it. and you liked it so much you decided to buy two and run them in tandem (assuming the PCIE link could even handle all that bandwidth) with NVLink...

Yup, that's right; $599.00 USD just for the bridge...

nvlink.thumb.JPG.bc635c019e33115aac1e7c5ff922ee28.JPG

Wow. Nvidia is doing what Intel was doing....right before AMD released Ryzen. Price Gouging. They do it because they don't think AMD can match them. I'll be curious to see what AMD has up their sleeve in the coming months.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I did a little more digging and noticed that the NVlink for the 2080 and 2080Ti is $79...not $600. Scroll toward the bottom of the page to see it. So, the NVlink for Quadros is price-gouging for studios.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2080-ti/

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I've been watching a lot of videos on the latest GPUs and of all of them this is the most interesting I've seen since Nvidia RTX came out; it's all theorizing but based on some very good evidence. I'm hoping it's true because this guy is saying the AMD's 7nm Vega that should be out before year end will be in many ways superior to the RTX 2080 in performance (for artists wanting fast provisional renders) and in price. He's predicting a price of $549.00 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

https://www.techradar.com/news/nvidias-flagship-rtx-2080-ti-graphics-cards-are-failing-more-than-they-should

The most powerful consumer GPUs to hit the market are experiencing some teething problems at the moment, with a number of early users reporting their Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti graphics cards are failing in a variety of ways.

Among the issues being reported are day-one failures, according to Digital Trends, with instabilities and artifacts being found immediately after installing the card, while others are seeing their GPUs die after a few days of nominal use.

Across both the Nvidia forums and relevant Reddit threads, an alarmingly high number of users have told the tale of their cards dying – more often than not, it's the Founders Edition of the GPU and, in some cases, even their replacement cards from the manufacturer have gone the same way.

• Advanced Member

Wow the story has legs...

https://wccftech.com/geforce-rtx-2080tis-are-dying-and-there-are-different-rtx-2070-chips/

NVIDIA and the GeForce RTX 2080ti and the rest of the RTX family can’t seem to stay out of the headlines these days. But, all press is good press right? Maybe not always in this case. The RTX 2080ti is apparently having some issues staying alive and there are multiple variants of the RTX 2070 floating about that offer up very different performance levels under the same branding name.

RTX 2080ti Failures
Reports sprang up just before Halloween regarding an unusual amount of RTX 2080ti’s being reported on the GeForce forums indication a rather high number of cards dying for a new launch.  Defects and DOAs aren’t exactly uncommon and do happen at launch and with a GPU with such a massive die it’s quite possible for some to slip through QA and make it out into the wild, only to be found by the unfortunate person it was shipped to.

But this time the numbers appear, based on reporting so far, that there are quite a few more than normal.  Visiting the GeForce forums will unveil quite a few threads regarding dead or dying RTX 2080ti’s or tales of RMAs gone wrong.  The most common occurrence seems to be related to artifacts appearing on screen and ultimately crashing to black and never recovering.  Artifacts like shown in the threads are typically a results from unstable memory overclocks, or just bad memory, which has caused quite a bit of finger pointing towards the GDDR6 memory used on the RTX 2080ti.  But that’s kind of a hard sell to some since the issues appear to be pretty isolated to the RTX 2080ti Founders Edition and not the other AIB variants and cards that also carry GDDR6.

I personally have a friend who’s card died on him just this morning after being hit with massive artifacts even on the desktop.  I’ve actually spent the past several days trying to confirm whether ours was dying or not, thankfully our test card is okay since it turned out to be nothing more than a bad M.2 drive, odd that it would function fine with other cards but the test bench is rock solid again.

GeForce RTX 2080ti’s Are Dying And There Are Different RTX 2070 Chips.

2080ti-threads.thumb.png.636bc962adca2ba873ec7963ed3d35e4.png

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Falconius said:

That really sucks.  I was pretty stoked about RTX.  Hopefully they work out the problems.  And the price.

Come Cyber Monday this month I'll be buying the 1080ti  for my new rig...AMD GPUs will come out in January. Will AMD steal a march on Nvidia and come out with a 7nm GPU that blows the door off Nvidia the way they did with Intel CPUs? 
I can dream, can't I?

AMD’s 7nm Vega is a Monster – 1.25x Turing’s Compute at Half The Size
Whilst the company hasn’t disclosed detailed specifications relating to the new GPU we could reasonably expect around one terabyte/s of memory bandwidth, higher clock speeds and significantly better power efficiency thanks to TSMC’s leading-edge 7nm process technology, which has reportedly enabled the company to extract an unbelievable 20.9 TFLOPS of graphics compute out of 7nm Vega, according to one source. If true, it would make it the world’s first 20 TFLOPS GPU.

That figure is simply unheard of especially out of a chip of this size, which Anandtech estimates to be roughly 336mm² large. To put this into perspective, if accurate, the figure would put it 25% ahead of NVIDIA’s most powerful GPU yet, the 754mm² monster Turing GPU. All the while Vega 20 allegedly achieves this with half the silicon real-estate.

https://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-new-7nm-radeon-graphics-cards-launching-in-2018/

And it's probably going to be a much lower price than NVidia too...

• Reputable Contributor

That's encouraging to hear, about AMD. They've beaten NVidia, soundly, in the past. Just not recently. I'm not gonna get greedy. The 1080+ 1070 I have is more than enough horsepower for my current needs. AMD is helping themselves by making ProRender so readily available and continuing to develop it. I've been testing it in Modo 12's beta and it's easily comparable to VRay RT GPU and Octane. Knowing that AMD cards also work with Cycles is a big plus, as well.

• Advanced Member
8 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

That's encouraging to hear, about AMD. They've beaten NVidia, soundly, in the past. Just not recently. I'm not gonna get greedy. The 1080+ 1070 I have is more than enough horsepower for my current needs. AMD is helping themselves by making ProRender so readily available and continuing to develop it. I've been testing it in Modo 12's beta and it's easily comparable to VRay RT GPU and Octane. Knowing that AMD cards also work with Cycles is a big plus, as well.

I'm hoping AMD is going to take over Linux and save it from the PC COC cabal too.

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

I'm hoping AMD is going to take over Linux and save it from the PC COC cabal too.

I don't think Linux will be damaged by the PC COC cabal, that's the advantage of open source.  I'm pretty sure that the coders behind half of the foundation code taking it out would kill the impetus of those idiotic, power hungry, political motivated nutbars.  They may be able to damage specific distros though, for those foolish enough to fall for their nonsense.

Edited by Falconius

• Advanced Member

amd.JPG.d06716e3e42d536de0eee98de8351b17.JPG

AMD Investor Relations will host a "Next Horizon" event on November 6th, and although there is no confirmation on what products will be announced there, the title alone makes us think about AMD's Zen 2 architecture. The company has just explained that on that day their executives will "discuss the innovation of AMD products and technology, specifically designed with the datacenter on industry-leading 7 nm process technology". AMD announced Ryzen and quite a lot of details about the Zen's processors on their last "Horizon" event, so it seems plausible that the incoming event will be perfect to talk about its next-gen architecture. That focus on the 7 nm process technology will probably make AMD talk about their new Vega graphics, but it seems end users will have to wait, as datacenters come first.

https://community.amd.com/community/amd-corporate/blog/2018/08/27/expanding-our-high-performance-leadership-with-focused-7nm-development

AMD’s next major milestone is the introduction of our upcoming 7nm product portfolio, including the initial products with our second generation “Zen 2” CPU core and our new “Navi” GPU architecture. We have already taped out multiple 7nm products at TSMC, including our first 7nm GPU planned to launch later this year and our first 7nm server CPU that we plan to launch in 2019. Our work with TSMC on their 7nm node has gone very well and we have seen excellent results from early silicon. To streamline our development and align our investments closely with each of our foundry partner’s investments, today we are announcing we intend to focus the breadth of our 7nm product portfolio on TSMC’s industry-leading 7nm process. 

• Advanced Member

https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-2-ryzen-epyc-cpus-higher-than-expected-ipc-clocks/

AMD Zen 2 Frequency and IPC Higher Than Expected On Early Engineering Samples, Possible Preview Tomorrow at Next Horizon Event
Tomorrow, AMD is going to talk a lot about their 7nm products which includes both CPUs and GPUs. While GPU talk would be mostly centered around Vega 20 with a possible look at AMD’s NAVI GPU which is aimed for launch sometime in 2019, the CPU talk would go around the AMD ZEN 2 CPU architecture. The event will start at 12 AM (Eastern Time) on 6th November, 2018.

• Advanced Member

My aging 4th gen intel cpu will get a refresh come Nov Black Friday. I was looking at the i7 8700 
but someone mentioned the Ryzen 2700.. I'd love to support AMD but their offering has to be rock solid and competitive.
That's for the CPU, for the GPU my current GTX 1070 will do for now.

Any advice?

PS, dont want to hijack the thread, just saw ppl talk about cpus and black Friday :)

Edited by Nossgrr

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Nossgrr said:

My aging 4th gen intel cpu will get a refresh come Nov Black Friday. I was looking at the i7 8700 
but someone mentioned the Ryzen 2700.. I'd love to support AMD but their offering has to be rock solid and competitive.
That's for the CPU, for the GPU my current GTX 1070 will do for now.

Any advice?

PS, dont want to hijack the thread, just saw ppl talk about cpus and black Friday :)

My 2 cents;

Samsung 970 EVO 2TB2048 GB M.2 SSD with sequential read write speeds up to 3500/2900 MB/s$590.00

Intel CPUs have security vulnerabilities galore. AMD doesn't.

https://wccftech.com/side-channel-portsmash-hits-intel-cpus/

What is the best AMD CPU bang for the buck?

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2950x-review,32.html

if the software supports 32 threads, there's nothing stopping this processor ripping threads and spitting out serious numbers. The base clock is nice and, if all threads are used, you'll see something like 3.8~3.9 GHz on all cores. With a few threads, that's a staggering 4.4 GHz under the condition that you properly cool the processor. You can tweak all cores to 4.1~4.2 GHz of course, but remember that will increase power consumption severely, but also doesn't bring in heaps of extra performance. Only with many threads, you'll see a gain, with fewer threads that XFR2 enabled 4.4. Ghz on four bins brings in the better advantage.

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-Processor-YD295XA8AFWOF/dp/B07GFN6CVF

$899.00

Now imagine doing a 4k unbiased render with 32 threads and lots of materials and objects in your scene. Imagine cooking up new textures in Substance designer when you've got all those render buckets...

I'll be going with a 1080Ti if there's no hope for the forseeable future on AMD GPUs..

https://www.amazon.com/GeForce-Advanced-Gaming-Graphics-ROG-STRIX-GTX1070TI-A8G-GAMING/dp/B076RCTXGX/ref=pd_day0_hl_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B076RCTXGX&pd_rd_r=4e2ec403-e179-11e8-aa9e-d7a355075e98&pd_rd_w=wflHt&pd_rd_wg=VEZ7P&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=2ATSS96392JHBV4R2QXX&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=2ATSS96392JHBV4R2QXX

I can see gettign two of these in SLI..

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

@Nossgrr
CPU wise AMD beats Intel in bang for buck hands down.  Intel still has the fastest chips, but they have an associated price tag, nor do they match the core counts or threads offered in AMD.  The other advantage is that AMD plan on maintaining the AM4 socket for I think it was four generations?  So you can upgrade the chip without upgrading the motherboard (Although I don't know how much of an advantage this is because people tend to upgrade the MB anyways).  If I was only interested in gaming and not concerned about the dollar value of a given performance I'd go intel, but given that I'm into all sorts of 3d programs and workload heavy stuff I think AMD wins out.  The only issue with AMD is the memory speeds for RAM, they seem to be fine up to 3000mHz but over that there is spotty support.  That said I do think ECC support is native to all the Ryzen chips, I could be wrong though. 

As for graphics I'd go with a 1080 Ti the same as L'Ancien.  I wouldn't trust the RTX stuff just yet and Vega is nice but really a lackluster offering in comparison to the Ti.  I think maintaining the 1070 for a while is also a perfectly valid choice, in fact I think it's the best choice since you already have it and the performance gain by going to the 1080Ti or higher is just not worth the extra cash.

Edited by Falconius

• Advanced Member

I'm leaning towards AMD for CPU. The socket compatibility is definitely a feature I'm interested in, if it where like that with intel, I could of went  to a newer CPU and kept the rest of my rig.. For GPU, my GTX 1070 is still plenty fast for what I do and totally agree about RTX, I'll skip this gen and re-evaluate once more apps support it.

Thanks for the suggestions,

• Advanced Member

I had this conversation with my EE friend in E. Europe last night on Skype after I sent him this screenshot from the latest Linus video;

imgpsh_fullsize.jpg.35449a29753d6b056adb6b0fc821386a.jpg

ME; Portsmash affects AMD too..it affects all parallel processors

EE in EU; AWWW S*****!!!

EE in EU; i guess we wont be buying anytime soon!

ME; Why??

ME; *******

ME; Its that bad eh?

EE in EU; ayup

ME; How is it being spread?

EE in EU; good question.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/intel-cpus-impacted-by-new-portsmash-side-channel-vulnerability/

Researchers say they notified Intel's security team last month, on October 1, but the company has not provided a patch until yesterday, the date on which researchers went public with their findings. An Intel spokesperson was not available for comment regarding the state of the PortSmash patching process before this article's publication.

AMD CPUS LIKELY IMPACTED
"We leave as future work exploring the capabilities of PortSmash on other architectures featuring SMT, especially on AMD Ryzen systems," the research team said in a version of their paper shared with ZDNet, but Brumley told us via email that he strongly suspects that AMD CPUs are also impacted.

The work behind discovering PortSmash is also the first result of "SCARE: Side-Channel Aware Engineering," a five-year security research project funded by the European Research Council.

"Security and SMT are mutually exclusive concepts," he added. "I hope our work encourages users to disable SMT in the BIOS or choose to spend their money on architectures not featuring SMT."

• Advanced Member

Simultaneous multi threading is far too useful to do without.  That's not going to happen.  In addition there are limits to speed, there is a reason multi-threading was developed in the first place.  making an 'unhackable'  CPU is like making an 'invincible' safe, definitionally impossible.

• Advanced Member
39 minutes ago, Falconius said:

Simultaneous multi threading is far too useful to do without.  That's not going to happen.  In addition there are limits to speed, there is a reason multi-threading was developed in the first place.  making an 'unhackable'  CPU is like making an 'invincible' safe, definitionally impossible.

I was thinking of keeping my next workstation computer offline anyway and doing all my internet communications with other non SMT rigs I have.

If I can't buy a new rig to sculpt, 3d texture and render with on Cyber Monday I may go insane.