3D Coat Forums
Carlosan

NVIDIA RTX Technology: Making Real-Time Ray Tracing A Reality For Games

https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-2-ryzen-epyc-cpus-higher-than-expected-ipc-clocks/

AMD Zen 2 Frequency and IPC Higher Than Expected On Early Engineering Samples, Possible Preview Tomorrow at Next Horizon Event
Tomorrow, AMD is going to talk a lot about their 7nm products which includes both CPUs and GPUs. While GPU talk would be mostly centered around Vega 20 with a possible look at AMD’s NAVI GPU which is aimed for launch sometime in 2019, the CPU talk would go around the AMD ZEN 2 CPU architecture. The event will start at 12 AM (Eastern Time) on 6th November, 2018.

My aging 4th gen intel cpu will get a refresh come Nov Black Friday. I was looking at the i7 8700 
but someone mentioned the Ryzen 2700.. I'd love to support AMD but their offering has to be rock solid and competitive.
That's for the CPU, for the GPU my current GTX 1070 will do for now.

Any advice?

PS, dont want to hijack the thread, just saw ppl talk about cpus and black Friday :)

Edited by Nossgrr

2 hours ago, Nossgrr said:

My aging 4th gen intel cpu will get a refresh come Nov Black Friday. I was looking at the i7 8700 
but someone mentioned the Ryzen 2700.. I'd love to support AMD but their offering has to be rock solid and competitive.
That's for the CPU, for the GPU my current GTX 1070 will do for now.

Any advice?

PS, dont want to hijack the thread, just saw ppl talk about cpus and black Friday :)

My 2 cents;

Samsung 970 EVO 2TB2048 GB M.2 SSD with sequential read write speeds up to 3500/2900 MB/s$590.00

Intel CPUs have security vulnerabilities galore. AMD doesn't.

https://wccftech.com/side-channel-portsmash-hits-intel-cpus/

What is the best AMD CPU bang for the buck?

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2950x-review,32.html

if the software supports 32 threads, there's nothing stopping this processor ripping threads and spitting out serious numbers. The base clock is nice and, if all threads are used, you'll see something like 3.8~3.9 GHz on all cores. With a few threads, that's a staggering 4.4 GHz under the condition that you properly cool the processor. You can tweak all cores to 4.1~4.2 GHz of course, but remember that will increase power consumption severely, but also doesn't bring in heaps of extra performance. Only with many threads, you'll see a gain, with fewer threads that XFR2 enabled 4.4. Ghz on four bins brings in the better advantage.

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-Processor-YD295XA8AFWOF/dp/B07GFN6CVF

$899.00

Now imagine doing a 4k unbiased render with 32 threads and lots of materials and objects in your scene. Imagine cooking up new textures in Substance designer when you've got all those render buckets...

I'll be going with a 1080Ti if there's no hope for the forseeable future on AMD GPUs..

https://www.amazon.com/GeForce-Advanced-Gaming-Graphics-ROG-STRIX-GTX1070TI-A8G-GAMING/dp/B076RCTXGX/ref=pd_day0_hl_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B076RCTXGX&pd_rd_r=4e2ec403-e179-11e8-aa9e-d7a355075e98&pd_rd_w=wflHt&pd_rd_wg=VEZ7P&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=2ATSS96392JHBV4R2QXX&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=2ATSS96392JHBV4R2QXX

I can see gettign two of these in SLI..

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 1

@Nossgrr
CPU wise AMD beats Intel in bang for buck hands down.  Intel still has the fastest chips, but they have an associated price tag, nor do they match the core counts or threads offered in AMD.  The other advantage is that AMD plan on maintaining the AM4 socket for I think it was four generations?  So you can upgrade the chip without upgrading the motherboard (Although I don't know how much of an advantage this is because people tend to upgrade the MB anyways).  If I was only interested in gaming and not concerned about the dollar value of a given performance I'd go intel, but given that I'm into all sorts of 3d programs and workload heavy stuff I think AMD wins out.  The only issue with AMD is the memory speeds for RAM, they seem to be fine up to 3000mHz but over that there is spotty support.  That said I do think ECC support is native to all the Ryzen chips, I could be wrong though. 

As for graphics I'd go with a 1080 Ti the same as L'Ancien.  I wouldn't trust the RTX stuff just yet and Vega is nice but really a lackluster offering in comparison to the Ti.  I think maintaining the 1070 for a while is also a perfectly valid choice, in fact I think it's the best choice since you already have it and the performance gain by going to the 1080Ti or higher is just not worth the extra cash.

Edited by Falconius

I'm leaning towards AMD for CPU. The socket compatibility is definitely a feature I'm interested in, if it where like that with intel, I could of went  to a newer CPU and kept the rest of my rig.. For GPU, my GTX 1070 is still plenty fast for what I do and totally agree about RTX, I'll skip this gen and re-evaluate once more apps support it.

Thanks for the suggestions,

I had this conversation with my EE friend in E. Europe last night on Skype after I sent him this screenshot from the latest Linus video;

imgpsh_fullsize.jpg.35449a29753d6b056adb6b0fc821386a.jpg

ME; Portsmash affects AMD too..it affects all parallel processors

EE in EU; AWWW S*****!!!

EE in EU; i guess we wont be buying anytime soon!

ME; Why??

ME; *******

ME; Its that bad eh?

EE in EU; ayup

ME; How is it being spread?

EE in EU; good question.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/intel-cpus-impacted-by-new-portsmash-side-channel-vulnerability/

Researchers say they notified Intel's security team last month, on October 1, but the company has not provided a patch until yesterday, the date on which researchers went public with their findings. An Intel spokesperson was not available for comment regarding the state of the PortSmash patching process before this article's publication.

AMD CPUS LIKELY IMPACTED
"We leave as future work exploring the capabilities of PortSmash on other architectures featuring SMT, especially on AMD Ryzen systems," the research team said in a version of their paper shared with ZDNet, but Brumley told us via email that he strongly suspects that AMD CPUs are also impacted.

The work behind discovering PortSmash is also the first result of "SCARE: Side-Channel Aware Engineering," a five-year security research project funded by the European Research Council.

"Security and SMT are mutually exclusive concepts," he added. "I hope our work encourages users to disable SMT in the BIOS or choose to spend their money on architectures not featuring SMT."

Simultaneous multi threading is far too useful to do without.  That's not going to happen.  In addition there are limits to speed, there is a reason multi-threading was developed in the first place.  making an 'unhackable'  CPU is like making an 'invincible' safe, definitionally impossible.

39 minutes ago, Falconius said:

Simultaneous multi threading is far too useful to do without.  That's not going to happen.  In addition there are limits to speed, there is a reason multi-threading was developed in the first place.  making an 'unhackable'  CPU is like making an 'invincible' safe, definitionally impossible.

I was thinking of keeping my next workstation computer offline anyway and doing all my internet communications with other non SMT rigs I have.

If I can't buy a new rig to sculpt, 3d texture and render with on Cyber Monday I may go insane.

All of this is mostly relevant to servers, data centers and cloud computing where there's many tenants per hosts.. The fear is that one tenant could potentially eavesdrop on others using those cpu exploits.. For personal use as a workstation at home, I wouldn sweat it. Yes a local exploit could be used locally but then they would listen to what? If they're in your system, they have access to everything already anyways.. A good anti virus will do just fine for home use.

• Like 1