3DCoat Forums

NVIDIA RTX Technology: Making Real-Time Ray Tracing A Reality For Games

• Reputable Contributor

I understand, but I think the problem with your comparison is that NEW 1080's are pretty much sold out. The only one's you see left are price-gouging 3rd party vendors. That's what I hate about Newegg, now-a-days. They mix 3rd party vendors in with their own store items. The average person goes on there and doesn't realize what they are seeing is 3rd party items and not Newegg's! You can filter them out by clicking on NEWEGG on the left hand side, under SELLER, or near top.

Untitled-1.jpg

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

...So, that effectively means buying a NEW 2070 that basically the same performance as the 1080 (2070 is slightly better in some benchmarks I've seen, but exactly the same or slightly less in others), or buying a USED 1080 for about $200 less. For the past decade, I have bought every graphic card used on eBay....to save some serious $$$. And, personally have had nothing but good experiences. They usually still have a lot of factory warranty left on them, and I've never had to send one in. They've all performed beautifully. 

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

...So, that effectively means buying a NEW 2070 that basically the same performance as the 1080 (2070 is slightly better in some benchmarks I've seen, but exactly the same or slightly less in others), or buying a USED 1080 for about $200 less. For the past decade, I have bought every graphic card used on eBay....to save some serious $$$. And, personally have had nothing but good experiences. They usually still have a lot of factory warranty left on them, and I've never had to send one in. They've all performed beautifully. 

I'm afraid of ebay but I'm giving this serious consideration. My EE friend in E Europe is advising the same thing. 

Thx

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

I understand, but I think the problem with your comparison is that NEW 1080's are pretty much sold out. The only one's you see left are price-gouging 3rd party vendors. That's what I hate about Newegg, now-a-days. They mix 3rd party vendors in with their own store items. The average person goes on there and doesn't realize what they are seeing is 3rd party items and not Newegg's! You can filter them out by clicking on NEWEGG on the left hand side, under SELLER, or near top.

Untitled-1.jpg

OK this is interesting...thanks for this.

• Reputable Contributor
On 1/2/2019 at 7:12 AM, L'Ancien Regime said:

OK this is interesting...thanks for this.

Hope it helps. I knew something was wrong when I would look at new graphic cards on Newegg, over a year ago, and see all the rampant price-gouging going on. I would see GTX 1070's going for over $1k USD and that is 3x more than they are actually worth. Newegg should be ashamed of themselves. They are obviously following Amazon's model, but it allows shady business practices to take place on their own website. But, they will just respond that you can choose to display only Newegg items. So, that's what I do.

You have to be a pretty savvy consumer, now-a-days, or these rip-off artists will pull a fast one on you. They prey on the ignorant or unknowing consumer.

• Advanced Member

So the plot gets even more interesting; Nvidia is in a lot of trouble as it's business model becomes less and less viable despite the propaganda.

1. Far from being a viable choice for big data centers, NVidia is being pushed out by superior custom solutions, particularly by Google.

2. Nvidia has failed in the automotive sector and Tesla has replaced their AI cards with their own custom solutions.

3. The 2000 series has been a massive failure with consumers and it seems that a new (3000?) series will be forthcoming in 2019, since the 2000 series simply doesn't perform well enough for what it aspires to do.

4. As APUs get more and more prevalent, the discrete GPU card will become less and less viable, the same way sound cards did. CPUs and  motherboard chipsets will simply push the GPU form aside.

I love Coreteks videos. He's got the best analysis. 

• Advanced Member

So this is interesting...Nvidia is coming out with a GTX  1180, that is a graphics card those doesn't have the RTX or the other specialized cores in it for a cheaper non RTX price 

New leaks reveal that Nvidia's GTX 1180 will support higher refresh rates through one VR-friendly connection, making it possible to render 4K@120 Hz content for each eye, and this would also apply to the TV-sized G-Sync 4K monitors. Price-wise, the GTX 1180 will not match the original launch MSRP of the GTX 1080, as there will be two versions and the most affordable one is supposed to cost US$999.
by Bogdan Solca, 2018/06/15Desktop Geforce Gaming
Huawei Mate 20 X
91% Huawei Mate 20 X Smartphone Review
Acer TravelMate X3410 (i7, MX130, FHD) Laptop Review
87% Acer TravelMate X3410 (i7, MX130, FHD) Laptop Review
Lenovo ThinkPad A285 (Ryzen 5 Pro, Vega 8, FHD) Laptop Review
88% Lenovo ThinkPad A285 (Ryzen 5 Pro, Vega 8, FHD) Laptop Review
Oukitel WP1
80% Oukitel WP1 Smartphone Review
Next Page 〉
Nvidia’s CEO Jensen Huang claimed at Computex this year that the next gen gaming GPUs will be released “a long time from now”, but trusted sources already informed that the new GTX 11xx series should be announced in late July / early August, with mobility GPU versions expected to land some time in Q4 2018. Huang most likely did not want to spoil a larger marketing scheme and had to cut it short for people who were expecting any teasers. 

Now, according to Tom’s Hardware’s anonymous sources, the upcoming GPUs should integrate a brand new VR-friendly connector that allows for much higher refresh rates over a single cable. This should translate to 120 Hz per each eye in 4K resolutions that will probably get delivered through a new HDMI 2.1 output.

Previous reports claimed that the next gen GPUs from Nvidia would be priced quite similar to the launch MSRPs of the GTX 1080 series, but the latest info from TweakTown suggests that the GTX 1180 will come in two variants: a US$999 model and a US$1,499 model with more VRAM. 

Nvidia will probably start selling its Founders Editions in early August, while third-party integrators could start shipping their custom versions in September. The updated Quadro professional lineup is also expected to make an appearance at Siggraph in August.

I'd rather get an RTX 2070 at under $700 than get this RTX 1180 at $999 and $1499

• Reputable Contributor

I like that new Vega 7 card. It's easily $100 cheaper, has twice the memory and more compute power than an RTX 2080. I don't think RTX is going to be widely adopted for at least another 2yrs. The other thing I like about the Vega 7 card is that it will likely have optimized driver support for AMD's ProRender GPU engine, which is seeing some pretty substantial updates every 6mos or so. In Blender, it's pretty impressive, and even in my tests in Modo's beta version of it. It's easily as fast as VRay RT GPU (VRay 3.6), and uses Modo's default materials and lights. I think this is what Vega 7 is aimed at, with the 16GB of VRAM.

• 8 months later...
  • Contributor

@Carlosan So Andrew is going to add Turing Support to 3DCoat in the display so we can have photo realistic rendering as we work? ;) That's my sculpting and painting dream , see everything as it's being created ray traced and the option to bake the scene lighting. If VR support was added it would be insane! There should be a virtual keyboard, mouse & tablet that the user positions in VR so they can walk back to them.. and in sitting or standing mode have the ability to rotate the entire room or position it up, down left or right with Virtual arrow keys that follow the user.

Edited by Ascensi
update