3DCoat Forums

Meshroom: Free photogrammetry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The Meshroom team have revealed Meshroom 2019.1, the first major update to the open-source photogrammetry software. The update is said to improve the speed and quality of mesh generation, add support for source images captured using projected light patterns, and remove the need for an Nvidia GPU.

Updates:

• 3D Viewer: Load and compare multiple assets with cache mechanism and improved navigation
  • Display camera intrinsic information extracted from metadata analysis
  • Easier access to a more complete sensor database with a more reliable camera model matching algorithm.
  • Attribute Editor: Hide advanced/experimental parameters by default to improve readability and simplify access to the most useful, high-level settings. Advanced users can still enable them to have full access to internal thresholds.
  • Graph Editor: Improved set of contextual tools.
  • Nodes: Homogenization of inputs/outputs parameters
  • Meshing: Better, faster and configurable estimation of the space to reconstruct based on the sparse point cloud. Favors high-density areas and helps to remove badly defined ones.
  • Draft Meshing (no CUDA required): the result of the sparse reconstruction can now be directly meshed to get a 3D model preview without computing the depth maps.
  • MeshFiltering: Now keeps all reconstructed parts by default.
  • StructureFromMotion: Add support for rig of cameras
  • Support for reconstruction with projected light patterns and texturing with another set of images

You can get more details here.

• 6 months later...

https://github.com/alicevision/meshroom/releases/tag/v2019.2.0

Meshroom 2019

Prebuilt binaries on this page are all-in-one packages including AliceVision and all required resources.
To start the application, unzip the archive and launch Meshroom executable.

Requirement: NVIDIA CUDA-enabled GPU (compute capability >= 2.0).

Warning: The Linux binaries have been updated on 2019-08-23 to fix a compatibility issue: #594 with a new build based on cuda-7.0 and some libraries updates.

Release Notes Summary

• Visualization: New visualization module of the features extraction. PR, New QtAliceVision
  • Support for RAW image files.
  • Texturing: Largely improve the Texturing quality.
  • Texturing: Speed improvements.
  • Texturing: Add support for UDIM.
  • Meshing: Export the dense point cloud in Alembic.
  • Meshing: New option to export the full raw dense point cloud (with all 3D points candidates before cut and filtering).
  • Meshing: Adds an option to export color data per vertex and MeshFiltering correctly preserves colors.

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest the Zephyr people have me a 1 week license of their top product in order to make a tutorial with it but I tried several times and couldn't get a good result. I didn't feel right making a tutorial unless I could get really good results out if it. Maybe it can be done but it didn't work for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Download

Meshroom-2020.1.0 for Linux
Meshroom-2020.1.1 for Windows

Prebuilt binaries on this page are all-in-one packages including AliceVision and all required resources.

Note: The release 2020.1.1 fixes an instability of the release 2020.1.0 on Windows.
Requirement: NVIDIA CUDA-enabled GPU (built with CUDA-10 compatible with compute capability 3.0 to 7.5).

• Advanced Member

Cool. I must take a look. I played with Meshroom 2019 but the number of photos  to get acceptable results was exhausting. Since I'm a car nut most of my scans were of 1/24th & 1/18th scale model diecasts of cars which have a very shiny surface. Meshroom prefers matte finishes. With the nice weather now behind us in eastern Canada, I should have taken multiple photos of my real life 1960 Corvette for playing with in Meshroom.

Edited by kenmo

4 hours ago, kenmo said:

Cool. I must take a look. I played with Meshroom 2019 but the number of photos  to get acceptable results was exhausting. Since I'm a car nut most of my scans were of 1/24th & 1/18th scale model diecasts of cars which have a very shiny surface. Meshroom prefers matte finishes. With the nice weather now behind us in eastern Canada, I should have taken multiple photos of my real life 1960 Corvette for playing with in Meshroom.

For shiny stuff what you can do is spray it with some dry shampoo. I get mine from the dollar store. It dries in a few seconds then wipes off very easily with a damp paper towel or even just your fingers. It actually comes off a little too easily so you can't really touch it while you're scanning. The down side is that you won't get the color textures, so you'll have to paint it again in 3DC or something.

• Advanced Member

Sorry not interested in pouring anything onto the surfaces of my diecast cars. There are two many plastic parts glued onto the surfaces of the cars (mirrors, antennas, bumpers, etc) that can easily get broken or removed when dusting. Because of this most of my vehicles are kept in plastic display cases. Thanks for the tip but I would be very upset if I damaged one when removing the shampoo.

• 1 year later...

Download

Meshroom-2021.1.0 for Linux

Meshroom-2021.1.0 for Windows

Requirement: NVIDIA CUDA-enabled GPU (built with CUDA-10 compatible with compute capability 3.0 to 7.5).

NVIDIA CUDA Installation Guide for Linux

MD5 Checksums for Linux and Windows binaries

Release Notes Summary

• [panorama] PanoramaCompositing: new algorithm with tiles to deal with large panoramas PR
  • [feature] Improve robustness of sift features extraction on challenging images: update default values, add new filtering and add dsp-sift variation PR
  • [ui] Improve Graph Editor UX with better visualization of nodes connections, the ability to accumulate nodes to compute locally or the ability to compute multiple branches in parallel on renderfarm with a new locking system per node, etc. PR
  • [nodes] Meshing: improve mesh quality with a new post-processing. Cells empty/full status are filtered by solid angle ratio to favor smoothness. PR
  • [nodes] MeshFiltering: smoothing & filtering on subset of the geometry PR
  • [ui] Viewer: fix gain/gamma behavior and use non-linear sliders PR

Full Release Notes: https://github.com/alicevision/meshroom/blob/v2021.1.0/CHANGES.md

Tutorial:

https://sketchfab.com/blogs/community/tutorial-meshroom-for-beginners